All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I need a stable diet and I can't afford to lose anymore weight! Please help!
      #349436 - 08/25/09 02:29 PM
lobstress

Reged: 11/29/04

I've been sick for the past month or so (possible stomach ulcer) and I've lost twelve pounds. This wouldn't be so bad if I weren't 6' and my "normal" weight wasn't around 135 (which still dances on the "underweight" line).

My stomach hurts whenever I eat, so I've cut down drastically on my calorie intake, which in turn, makes me feel even more sick. I think my stomach has shrunk considerably because I'll eat a couple pieces of toast or a sandwich and then be unable to eat any more for the rest of the day without vomiting. Yesterday, for example, I drank a 12oz bottle of apple juice in the morning and had two small slices (1/4 of the whole) of thin-crust frozen pizza in the evening and felt uncomfortably full.

I need to build my stomach size back up so I can eat enough to support my metabolic processes (I feel constantly tired and dizzy).
I know this isn't an IBS-related problem, but I need an IBS-related solution. Because I have IBS, I have to work within the dietary limits and find a way to get better.

What sort of diet plan would you guys recommend? What foods can help my body fuel the rebuilding process? How can I gradually increase my stomach capacity?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I need a stable diet and I can't afford to lose anymore weight! Please help! new
      #349438 - 08/25/09 03:03 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

First off, I'm sorry that you're feeling so sick. I hope you are under the care of a good doctor, especially with the significant weight loss.

I have some thoughts on things you said:
1) I wonder if this sense of fullness you have is true fullness, or if it gas or bloating in the stomach? I often feel extraordinarily full, even when I know it's not possible based on how much I've eaten and how long it's been since I ate. Have you tried fennel tea for this feeling of fullness? It works wonders on gas, and may ease that symptom a little.

2) If your stomach has shrunk, then I would focus on eating a tiny bit very frequently. Like maybe half a piece of toast with 4 ounces of juice, then an hour or two later, eat the same amount. So you're eating every hour to two hours.

3) A great food for you might be smoothies. You can pack a lot of nutrients in using IBS friendly fruits, juices, pasteurized egg whites or soy protein powder, even oats for some complex carbs. Again, because you can't eat much in one sitting, try drinking a small amount of a smoothie every hour or so.

Those are just a few thoughts...I hope they help, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Re: I need a stable diet and I can't afford to lose anymore weight! Please help! new
      #349441 - 08/25/09 03:32 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Lobstress- Frygirl's recommendation for smoothies is a good one for you, since you can pack a whole lot of nutrition in one of those. But, I would make it a small one, since you don't want to fill up on just liquids.

You also might try some pureed veggie soups, if you can handle veggies. A small cup of soup with maybe, some applesause.

My mom just had surgery for a para-esophageal hernia, (very serious condition/operation), and she had the same problem. She started eating 5-6 very small meals per day, and now she is doing very good with her food/nutrient intake, so you might try that. She took it very slowly, so that her repositioned stomach could adjust very gradually.

You might have to do a couple bites every several hours, but at least you would be getting some nutrition.

HTH

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 801

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review