All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CLEAN by Alejandro Junger MD
      #349020 - 08/13/09 11:24 AM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Has anyone ever read this book or done the 3 week program......he suffered from IBS which lifted once he identified trigger foods....
http://www.amazon.com/Clean/dp/B0028MVHAU

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: CLEAN by Alejandro Junger MD new
      #349022 - 08/13/09 12:18 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I haven't read the book, but it does look interesting.

#349024 - 08/13/09 01:19 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

THis is probably the 3rd book ive picked up that mentions the whole wheat allergen....even if you test negative for celiac......seems like many might be allergic to wheat....i eat a lot of pasta, bread, chicken, fish, nuts, oatmeal, apples, bananas......but he seems to feel that the pasta/bread could be a culprit......i often feel anxious/depressed also.......who wouldnt be when they dont feel well....he mentions how once you resolve your gastro issues, the depression can lift also......ie it doesnt start in the head and effect the guy but vice versus...gosh if this was true i just wasted thousands of dollars on therapy!

#349025 - 08/13/09 01:41 PM
Gerikat

If you read any of Dr. Mark Hyman, he is of a similar viewpoint. He says, in most of his books, heal the body, heal the brain. He had alot to say about the gut. Pick up some of his books from the library and read them when you have time.

I ordered Clean from my local Barnes and Noble. When it comes in, what I do is sit and read the book for awhile in the store, and then decide if it has useful info, and if I want to buy it. This way I don't spend so much money on useless info.

I do believe wheat plays a big part in many people's problems. I don't necessarily think that tests always prove this.

Are you currently reading the book?

One other thing.... new
      #349026 - 08/13/09 01:45 PM
Gerikat

I also have a book reserved at the library, a new book, by Dr. Peter Green entitled, "Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic." I saw it when I was researching wheat allergy, and the title grabbed my attention. I do believe there is something to this. Maybe you would want to try that one too.

#349029 - 08/13/09 02:01 PM
Boston_Dee

Reged: 07/17/09
Loc: Boston, MA

I've been on a gluten free diet for 6 days and my IBS is 95% gone. Other foods I avoid are dairy, soy, caffeine, white sugar, flesh food - So basically gluten free vegan and no junk food whatsoever. This has been the BEST 6 days I've had in the last 26 years - - no lie.

Previous to this my IBS was completely out of control - - I'm a believer. Read this: http://www.mdnewsbayarea.com/index.cfm/article_134.htm

--------------------
Please visit me on Facebook!

Gluten Free Question for Boston Dee new
      #349038 - 08/13/09 08:05 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

So do you think you have celiac? Have you had the upper GI endoscopy test before? Do you think you have an intolerance to all the IBS trigger foods and gluten foods? I went gluten free for over a month and seen no improvement, but wasn't watching the trigger foods. I'm wondering if I should try going gluten and trigger food free to see if it works? The big questions is? What's left to EAT???

What's Left To Eat? new
      #349049 - 08/14/09 07:40 AM
Boston_Dee

Kath,

Here is what I ate yesterday -

Breakfast
2 bananas, 1 cup fresh strawberries, 1 cup fresh blueberries. Blend in Vitamix until smooth.

Snack before working out -
1 cup strawberries, 1 cup blueberries - blended in Vitamix

Lunch -

1 cup creamy white rice (cooked until creamy)
Sauce for rice - 2 cups romaine lettuce, 1/2 cup hummus, 1/4 cup water - blended in Vitamix - sea salt
I made amazingly deliscious tortillas.
Mix the rice and the sauce together in a bowl with a fork.
Take 4 corn tortillas and put in microwave until they are either moist or longer to get them a bit more chewy and even a little crunchy if you like. You can use a stove top as well for this - it takes no time. Line the tortillas with 1 tbsp. hummus and add a small mound of the rice with sauce - fold in half and consume!

Strawberry banana blueberry smoothie - 1 banana, 1 c strawberries, 1 cup blueberries - blend in vitamix - it comes out thick like pudding.

Dinner
1.5 cups organic applesauce and 3 corn tortillas heated in microwave - did not heat the a-sauce. This was more like a snack but I don't get home from teaching yoga until very late.

I have been eating this way for the last week - feel very satisfied, no cravings and minimal GI discomfort or symptoms

--------------------

Re: What's Left To Eat? new
      #349050 - 08/14/09 08:08 AM
Boston_Dee

Oops! Just remembered -- for my breakfast yesterday -
The smoothie was thick like pudding -- I ate it form a bowl and added 1/4 cup of raw cashews --

Here is what I do with raw cashews:

put in a small pot with a little water. Heat it on the stove until the water boils. let the nuts sit in the hot water for 10 minutes. drain the water and eat the nuts.

--------------------

#349089 - 08/15/09 10:17 AM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

Wow. I wonder if blending foods helps the digestion process with the diareah and cramps. I like fruit, but would have to make the time to do the other recipes.

Have you been tested for celiac? I did a stool test a few years ago and it said I had a gluten intolerance, but didn't follow up with an endoscopy. My hubby did the same test and his came back positive too. He did do the endoscopy test and his was negative. So wasn't sure if I should trust the test. I did have an endoscpy back in 89 when I first had stomach problems and the Doc said then it was IBS. Not sure back then if they tested for celiac, and the Doc's not around anymore, and my records are probably filed away somewhere. So to find out, I'd have to go back under again. Don't really want to do this. I'm due for colon scan again in next year or two and will ask to be tested then, since you have to go under anyways. Are you IBS-D?

#349097 - 08/15/09 06:34 PM
Boston_Dee

Kathe - yes if you blend things like lettuce they are much less problematic to digest. That is why green smoothies are a God send for those with IBS. Check this link: GREEN SMOOTHIES

No I have not been tested for Gluten intolerance. I have no need to be tested. After just one week off gluten I feel like I am walking on air! Literally!

Here is another great link on gluten sensitivity:
GLUTEN

Yes I am IBS - D - Have been for 26 years!

My goal is to gradually transition to a 100% or nearly raw foods diet. The first time I tried it it was a disaster. But this time around I am doing better. My goal is to get off grains completely even gluten free grains.

Here is a very compelling video on this subject:
RAW FOODS TO HEAL IBS

A lot of food for thought I know.

The first food is to avoid the trigger foods at all costs.
Heather's list is good but we are all different. Find out your trigger foods. I found out mine was anything containing gluten -- obviously that's not true for Heather so clearly we are all different!

--------------------

#349099 - 08/15/09 08:44 PM
Gerikat

Thanks Dee, these are really good links!

#349100 - 08/15/09 09:43 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

My blood test shows I have a slight wheat allergy but I tried gluten free and it didnt' help at all. I usually don't eat alot of meat but maybe I should try to eat less carbs/wheat and more meat. At this point I don't know what to eat and not eat. I have just been taking my meds that help. Any advice

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3796 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4730

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review