All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
is Natural Calm Safe to take long term?
      #348931 - 08/11/09 03:00 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

Again I feel like ive been misinformed. I avoid stimulant laxatives but frequently take Natural Calm since its the only thing that seems to get my bowels moving. My naturopathic doc said its fine since all it does is draw water into the bowels, but my regular doc said its considered a laxative. So whats the deal? can i keep taking it? if i dont i will have problems with C and i am one of the few that doesnt benefit from fiber

thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: is Natural Calm Safe to take long term? new
      #348934 - 08/11/09 04:26 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

28 views and no response? come on peeps...i know at least 5 of you take it

#348938 - 08/11/09 04:48 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

They are both correct. Natural Calm contains magnesium citrate which is a saline or osmotic laxative. It draws water into the bowel from surrounding tissue. Magnesium citrate is used as a preoperative laxative.

Osmotic laxatives work differently than stimulant laxatives such as Senokot.

Some times you have to be patient. Not everyone who reads messages also answers messages. Or they may not know. It is not unusual for it to take a day or two to get a response.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#348968 - 08/12/09 11:23 AM
Hunca

Reged: 02/09/08

Quote:

Again I feel like ive been misinformed. I avoid stimulant laxatives but frequently take Natural Calm since its the only thing that seems to get my bowels moving. My naturopathic doc said its fine since all it does is draw water into the bowels, but my regular doc said its considered a laxative. So whats the deal? can i keep taking it? if i dont i will have problems with C and i am one of the few that doesnt benefit from fiber

thanks

I'm not too familiar w/this product, but it sounds similar to Miralax, which I *do* take every day. Every dr has his/her own opinion on this, and we have to listen, but in the end, we also have to make our own decisions on what works best for us, imo. We know our bodies best, and I find that some drs are way too 'textbook' to deal well with IBS. They think the same info goes for everyone, well, I think we know better about THAT. Right?

Mine is ok with the tiny bit of Miralax every day. If you have problems going to the bathroom, that isn't good, so we need extra help. It isn't a stimulant, and there are long periods where I can go without it, entirely. Plus, I take only a few granules, and I do mean, a FEW. If I took the capfuls I read others do, I'd be in D-he**, and I have C. But for me, a tiny little bit of this stuff goes a looooong way.

I've read about people having to take this sort of thing all the rest of their lives. I'm not sure the drs know all they think they know. You know?

#349006 - 08/13/09 08:11 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I agree with Syl. It's a way more "natural" substance than things like Milk of Magnesia. I've been taking it for several years, even through pregnancy and breastfeeding with no issues. And I don't take it every day anymore, only when I need it. I'd much rather take something like Natural Calm than have to take a prescription or stimulant laxative.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#353884 - 01/03/10 07:34 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

If you are having a really bad boot of IBS-C, really bad, would natural calm help?
It says this marketed and designed for anti-stress (hence calm) it makes no obvious mentioned of helping or being designed primarily for helping those with BAD C.

How good is it for a quick boost vs. milk of magnesium...and can it be used daily?

Also...any kind at whole foods we can get?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354061 - 01/05/10 09:00 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

????

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354429 - 01/11/10 08:21 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Yes, I think it would. I believe the instructions on the container actually say to gradually increase your dose until stools become loose, or something to that effect. If you take enough (I used to take several tablspoons at a time!) it will definitely get things moving by morning. Make sure you buy the kind that doesn't have any calcium or artificial flavoring added.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6327

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review