All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Decaf COffee et al
      #348771 - 08/06/09 08:54 AM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

I cut out so much stuff for years due to anxiety/panic and now ibs....i really enjoy 1/2 to 1 class of ice decaf coffee per day.....can this be an ibs trigger as well....do i need to let this go also.....just feel that sometimes we ibs'ers let go of so many foods/drinks and perhaps its more psychological than physical......confused.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Decaf COffee et al new
      #348773 - 08/06/09 09:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yes - decaff coffee can be a trigger. See the FAQ which states "Coffee (even decaf) is a powerful GI tract irritant, and can have the same effect." The trigger list says "Coffee ~ both regular AND decaf contain an enzyme that's an extremely powerful GI tract irritant. Go cold turkey today and drink herbal teas instead." Although I have never seen a credible reference to the existence of such an enzyme. Enzymes are made of proteins that are usually easily broken down in the stomach before they reach the intestine and colon.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#348774 - 08/06/09 10:12 AM
Mhillqt

thanks...ive asked my gastro a number of times(since iced decaf is the last pleasure i have) and he said its fine to drink, etc....but im sure you are right syl..but do you believe part of IBS is also psychological(i have panic disorder....20 yrs...only developed ibs in last 2 yrs which makes it worse)? Lastly, if you make changes to diet, meds to treat to ibs...do you normally do one thing at a time...ie i want to try cutting out decaf but should i also start a probiotic at the same time.....Here is my typical daily diet
Bfast...Oatmeal with walnuts, almonds and 1/2 apple
Snack Pretzels
Lunch Brown and White rice, almonds, walnuts, 1/2 apple
Snack Pretzels
Pre Dinner.....Organic Peanut Butter, 1/2 glass ice decaf coffee
Dinner...varies...Chicken or Fish, Pasta, Cooked greens, sometimes cooked beans(ie minestrone)
Snack Cucumber/WHole Wheat bread....

Is this a safe diet?

#348780 - 08/06/09 12:19 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

IBS is definitely not caused by psychological factors. However, psychological factors can influence the management of IBS. Gut directed hypnosis and cognitive therapy are known to be reasonably good IBS management tools.

A couple of general questions and some questions about your diet.

Are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A?

Do you fine grind the walnuts and almonds before you add them to oatmeal?

Do the snack pretzels contain high fructose corn syrup?

What are you eating the peanut butter with? bread?

Until you are more stable it might be wise to remove brown rice and whole wheat bread from your diet. Whole grain, particularly the bran from whole grains, are known to exacerbate IBS. Also, greens and beans are a problem for some. Again you might remove this from your diet and slowly reintroduce them when you are more stable.

Your lunch is lacking a protein such as tuna or chicken.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#348781 - 08/06/09 12:27 PM
Mhillqt

Thanks SYL...My psychiatrist seems to think mine is all related to Panic...who knows.....Ive actually been stable on this diet for a few months and then it gets worse again and stabilizes again without making any change......so im led to believe its anxiety but who knows.....I dont fine grind the nuts.....pretzels are no fructose....peanut butter is on small piece of white bread.......im alternate between C(not often) and D(going a few times per day but not watery) but usually have well formed bowel movements BUT feel gastro discomfort..cant desribe it but leaves me feeling heavy, dizzy, nauseous,uncomfortable, gassy etc....i prob should add some tuna to my lunch.......hate the way i eat:(

#348789 - 08/06/09 02:43 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hmm if your D I would lay off the brown rice and any whole grains. They can be gradually reintroduced. Green veggies can be a problem. Maybe the oat meal with nuts is a little to much IF first thing in the morning. I normally go with a banana smoothie (egg white for protein0 or a bowl of applesauce). Also if your drinking soy you could switch to rice milk - soy gave me (but not everybody) gas. There's also almond mik, oat and hemp milk but they are a bit less common.

If you have the Eating For IBS Book (can be bought here, on amazon and I've seen it in a lot of book stores even in Canada)there are a lot of great drink recipes. There's also tonnes of cakes and main courses. It might be time to start expanding your diet.

If your looking for protein at lunch how about some hard boiled eggs - just take out the yolk before eating.

You mentioned making changes to your plan for tacking IBS. My advice would be to change one thing at a time and go from there. Though quitting the decaf would be my first priority - even in my pre IBS days decaf would have me heading to the bathroom. However I sympathize I have to give up my favorite black tea when IBS entered my life.

Also hang in there - your IBS is improving so it's a question of keeping on going with that.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#348792 - 08/06/09 05:26 PM
Mhillqt

hi....i eat the oatmeal and brown/white rice at lunch so that i dont have the explosive diarhea......it helps to keep me regular....but sometimes i go to the bathroom several times per day but its not diarhea...its formed......by cutting salad out....and other stuff...i dont have the explosive D......if i just ate the white rice, etc without grains i would be TOTALLY CONSTIPATED......so this is my in between.....let me try getting rid of the decaf....although i can drink decaf and the diet above and be stable for months and then not...ie now.....so its a moving target......

#348809 - 08/07/09 07:57 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Decaf was one of those things that would sometimes be OK for me and other times not. For a long time I allowed it as a sometimes treat, but last year when things got really bad for me, I gave it up altogether. It's just a matter of how willing you are to take that chance.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#348826 - 08/07/09 04:28 PM
Mhillqt

vtech...did giving up the decaf make a differance in the ibs?

#348844 - 08/08/09 08:30 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Somewhat. I know it did trigger attacks sometimes. Now I just have attacks from other things LOL!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2994 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2688

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review