All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Confused
      #348634 - 07/31/09 07:36 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

OK here's the thing. A major stressor that struck when I was a child, triggered my IBS. So, for all these years I have been plugging along with either D or C.

I have another major stressor in my life right now, and you would think that it would skyrocket the IBS. But, NOOOOOO, I am feeling perfectly normal.

What I experienced as a child, triggered the IBS, but now another major stressor makes me normal? I just don't get it. I realize that IBS can have its cycles, but to revert back to normal from a stress?

Not that I am complaining, I just wondered if anyone else had experienced something like this.

I follow my own diet, similar to Heather's (but not exact), that I figured out for myself, as she did. I have done nothing differently, so why all of a sudden, when under extreme stress, would I feel like a normal person, with a normal BM everyday, no gas/bloating, etc.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confused new
      #348641 - 08/01/09 05:25 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I've had this happen. It's like my body tries to hold it together when it absolutely has to. The bad news is I'll then fall apart when the stress ends. I hope this doesn't happen to you.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#348648 - 08/01/09 07:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I find that stress can be an IBS trigger but it doesn't always have to be a trigger. Sometimes stress does bother my IBS at all.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#348650 - 08/01/09 08:35 AM
Gerikat

Thanks for the feedback Syl. My pattern has been that my IBS just shoots through the roof under any kind of stress. It seems to be my trigger. So, I just didn't understand it this time. It has totally gone into remission. I will keep my fingers crossed.

#348651 - 08/01/09 08:37 AM
Gerikat

Thanks for the feedback vettech. My pattern is much different than that. My IBS does not hold together during stress, but just explodes.

So, this time I didn't understand why it is totally fine. Well, I just hope it stays that way.

#348658 - 08/01/09 10:13 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Could it be that being on the diet has produce a new level of stability to stress?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#348660 - 08/01/09 01:14 PM
Gerikat

No, I don't think so, because I have been following the same diet for years. I was like Heather in that I figured out at a very young age, what worked and didn't. So, I haven't changed my diet. When I found this website, I was already pretty savvy about IBS. But, I am continuing to learn from people here.

I really can't account for the absence of IBS, especially at this time.

#348669 - 08/01/09 07:29 PM
Boston_Dee

Reged: 07/17/09
Loc: Boston, MA

Your story is interesting. Do you mind telling us what you are basically eating -- what you are avoiding. I know this can vary from person to person but I would love to hear from someone who basically has it under control. My sense is that there are 3 main triggers for IBS - - 1. Overeating any kind of food at all. 2. eating too much fat 3. eating too much IF. I'm wondering if your experience supports that thesis.

--------------------
Please visit me on Facebook!

#348705 - 08/03/09 04:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't know about stress per se but when I am busy sometimes my gas and bloating is better due to eating less and getting on my feet more. When I throw a big party like a shower I never have symptoms because I eat in little snacky bits and am on my feet most of the time.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#348717 - 08/03/09 07:15 PM
Gerikat

My main trigger seems to be stress, rather than diet related. That is why I could not figure out why I am so well at this time, since I am going through a very stressful period in my life.

My basic diet consists of lean protein, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, good fats, and the occasional piece of good quality dark chocolate. I don't consume too many grains. I have oatmeal on occasion, and sometimes a slice of French or Sourdough bread. I don't feel that grains work so well for some people, me being one of them. I do grind flax seeds and sprinkle on my cereal or in a blender drink, or even in a casserole.

Since cruciferous veggies are hard on the gut, I usually puree them up into soups. I make a turkey cabbage roll, but the cabbage is cooked so well, it melts in your mouth. I make broccoli and cauliflower soups, and I eat greens, by cooking them down very well with olive oil, and sometimes add other things to it, like ground nuts. With nuts and seeds, I grind them up and add to almost anything. I use a good quality olive oil, and take fish oil capsules daily.

In the winter I eat alot of soups and stews. If I have a salad, it is small, and follows a good SF meal. I work in those veggies all the time. I can do any fruit, except citrus, (not because of IBS, but because of upper gi problems), however I use lemon in my tea and on my fish.

I never fry, but grill, roast, bake, saute, etc. I can eat raw cucumbers and tomatoes, but most other veggies I cook in the above manner, or puree into soups.

I drink tons of water. I just had a reverse osmosis unit installed in my home. I was buying too much bottled water ($$$$), and I don't like the plastics. I drink herbal teas. I combine many flavors, and always have a pitcher in the fridge. In the winter, I have carob hot chocolate, made from almond milk, and I confess I do have a dollop of whipped cream on top. I do have wine on occasion, but I don't make it a habit...usually only special times, and I have a full belly first.

I grow most of my own food, but what I can't grow I buy organic.

If I have an omelet, I will use about 4-5 egg whites, and 1/2 yolk. That little bit of yoke gives it a yellow color, and the omelet is not so thin then. It does not bother me.

I do use real butter, but that is the only dairy I use, and I use just a smidge. I do not like all the chemicals in margarines. I feel butter is far healthier. They say if you set margarine out, it will never melt. I never tried, I just don't eat it. They are linking margarine to heart disease, more so than butter now. Anything artificial, I just don't eat.

I love my diet. Who says an IBS diet is boring? I can take any recipe and substitute and make it IBS friendly. You just have to get creative.

I eat about 5-6 good meals a day. I have to have good food in my gut all the time. I know this is good for me, since I am healthy and on the slender side.

So, to answer your question about triggers...everyone is different. Overeating or undereating is a trigger. Too much fat, as you say, is a trigger. However, I include plenty of good fats in my diet in moderation, balanced with a SF base. As far as IF, some can do more than others. You would have to experiment with that. If you are C, you most likely can do more.

But, Heather has listed the main triggers, and I would follow that to a T.

HTH

#348719 - 08/03/09 08:02 PM
Boston_Dee

Thanks so much for this -- I wrote you a very long response but I think it got lost in cyberspace which sucks cuz I have no time to re-do it -- it was quite thorough.

anyway thanks for sharing. I am very inspired by your diet!

--------------------

#348721 - 08/03/09 09:02 PM
Gerikat

Boston- you are very welcome! It's far from perfect---more like a work in progress.

#348724 - 08/04/09 07:18 AM
Boston_Dee

Hi Geri,
That goes without saying (work in progress . . . ) But you've clearly found peace with food - which is so important! Thanks again and sorry my original response got lost. I guess I forgot to hit the continue button since it seems you have to hit it twice - darn!

I am inspired to find my own peace with food :-)

--------------------

#348729 - 08/04/09 08:17 AM
Gerikat

Dee, I have to say, if that is you at 56 years of age, all I can say is WOW! You look fantastic. I hope I can look that good. I see you own your own yoga studio. I love yoga!

And yes, I have made my peace with food. Food was never my enemy and that is half the battle with IBS.

#348731 - 08/04/09 10:49 AM
Boston_Dee

Hi Geri,
Thanks for the compliment! :-) I work hard at staying in shape.

--------------------

One more thing . . . new
      #348732 - 08/04/09 11:04 AM
Boston_Dee

I love this forum so much! Especially some of the more graphic descriptions which have made me realize I am NOT alone! I'm planning to take some time away from this forum for the next several months . . . If *anyone* would like to contact me feel free to send me an email through my yoga web site or visit me on facebook!

Thanks to everyone for all of the honest and heartfelt sharing! This forum rocks! :-)

--------------------

Re: One more thing . . . new
      #348742 - 08/04/09 04:31 PM
Gerikat

You will be missed!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2565 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4632

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review