All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about Algin
      #348493 - 07/27/09 06:21 PM
SNH

Reged: 05/05/07

Hi All
I would like to know what anyone's experience has been taking for IBS D. I was recommended to take this by my GI but have hesitated because I heard it could make the D worse.
Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Algin new
      #348518 - 07/28/09 08:42 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

I've been taking it for 6 months. I'm at the point where I don't particularly think it's doing anything but I'm too scared to quit it in case it actually is. Also, my new GI is interesting in playing around with antibiotics and if so I'm going to need to stay on it to repopulate after the bacteria genocide anyway.
Oh, but to answer your question specifically, I trend D and I don't think the Align made that any worse. The official literature says that it has absolutely no side effects whatsoever but in my exp when I first started taking it I could have sworn it contributed to occasional C. Now my body is so full of stuff (fiber, Align, tricyclics, occasional Immodium, herbs/teas) that I don't even know what's what any more.

#348528 - 07/28/09 10:47 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I agree with Mike. I don't see much difference, or maybe there is and I don't realize it. So, I continue to pay the almost $30 bucks per month. I am also a little fearful of stopping, because then maybe all h*** will break lose.

#348533 - 07/28/09 11:14 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Well, I totally agree! I took align well over 2 years ago for a long time. Didn't feel like it was doing much and quit. After suffering on and off I went back on the align and NOW I can tell the difference. It's not that it made me do a 180 like it says in the commercials. But, if I do get an attack it isn't as severe and usually lasts not nearly as long! It took me stopping to see the differences. Now, to be clear I am IBS-A, so I suffer from both C & D... I feel that align helps me not go too far on either end, so I certainly recommend keeping it up... But that's just my story:)

--------------------
IBS-A

#348534 - 07/28/09 11:17 AM
Gerikat

Thanks for that post Aly. I wasn't sure if there was improvement or not. But, I am also A, and now that you mention it, maybe my episodes aren't as severe. I guess I would have to stop like you to find out, and I just am not willing to do that right now. So, the only thing it is really hurting is my pocketbook, and maybe it is helping.

#348539 - 07/28/09 12:22 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Do you have a Sam's Club where you live? I just got a 49 day supply for 39 bucks! I was excited...

--------------------
IBS-A

#348548 - 07/28/09 02:35 PM
Gerikat

I don't know, but I will be checking it out. That is a good deal!

#348559 - 07/28/09 08:04 PM
Linda Jancik

Reged: 07/28/09
Loc: Colorado

I was prescribed Align before I found the IBS diet, it did not seem to have any effect on my symptoms after taking it for 3 months. Only the IBS diet has made a difference. But if you are sold on it, its at Wallmart for 29.00, and it was more expensive at Sams (all in the same town)

--------------------
Lindalive

Re: Question about Align new
      #348560 - 07/28/09 08:40 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

I, too, took for two months. I felt a little better, but decided to try acidolphilus next to see if there is a difference. I can't tell. Feel the same on both products. Align is on sale here at CVS this week and we also had $5.00 coupon in Sunday paper a few weeks ago, so can save if you have this drugstore in your area. I am IBS-D and so many issues I create myself by my diet choices. If I watched my diet closer, I'm sure I would feel better.

#348604 - 07/30/09 06:28 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Our Sam's doesn't carry it. I get it at Hannaford (for those in the Northeast US) a couple of bucks cheaper than at Walmart.

I wasn't sure, either, how much Align was helping. But then I ran out once and was miserable. I think it does save me from extremes.

I've not been around much the last several months because I've been fairly stable. The last month or so I haven't been doing so well, though. I think I've veered too far from the basic diet - you know how it goes, you feel better so you try a little of this and that and it's ok, so you try something else, etc... Time to get back to basics!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1635 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3034

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review