All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stupid Question
      #348434 - 07/26/09 11:51 AM
happyhygienist

Reged: 07/26/09
Loc: Southwestern CT

Hi! I'm new to the boards but a long time IBS sufferer. I find mysef in a bad cycle currently so I've been reading everything I can get my hands on. I have stocked up on the "safe" foods but I have a question. I had planned to cook up either some white rice or some pasta and add some tuna to it for protein, but typically I'd use a little mayo so it wouldn't be so dry. What if anything should I use instead. I'm trying to go as "bland" as possible for the next few days to calm down my tummy and relieve my very sorry tookus. Any suggestions? Feel free to email me and TIA.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stupid Question new
      #348436 - 07/26/09 01:31 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Try and find a fat free o low fat mayo without egg yolk. Apparently helmens does do one but I've never seen it so a use the Waldens Farms brand - you might find it in a health food shop or try their website for more info. There might also be a mayo recipes on the recipes index in the recipes board.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#348443 - 07/26/09 06:49 PM
Boston_Dee

Reged: 07/17/09
Loc: Boston, MA

FYI -- I just checked and one serving on white rice has 4 grams of protein. Personally, I'd skip the tuna entirely. Why not add a cup of mashed bananas for an additional 2 grams of protein? Just a thought. We have been brainwashed into thinking we need a lot of flesh food or dairy for protein and it's just not true. Fruits and vegetables are chock full of protein. I also mix hummus with rice which makes a nice texture and it's fairly low fat as well.

--------------------
Please visit me on Facebook!

Re: Stupid Question - Another Idea new
      #348444 - 07/26/09 07:12 PM
Boston_Dee

I had another idea. When I cook white rice I use 1/3 cup dry rice and one cup of water. I cook it for exactly 15 minutes after the water boils. This yields just over one cup of fluffy, moist almost creamy rice. If you add some sea salt this can almost be a meal in itself. My point is that if you add a bit of extra water when you cook your rice it comes out moist and creamy. Maybe this is all the moisture you need for your tuna fish and no added fat needed. Another nice thing you can do with rice is add some hummus and throw it inside some lavash or a tortilla and make a wrap.

--------------------

#348446 - 07/26/09 07:49 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

This is a very good idea...the hummus and rice in a wrap. You could throw in some grilled veggies, too. Excellent idea and healthy too. Thanks for the tip! I have never had lavash. Is it a form of bread? I grow most of my own food, and am a big-time cook, so anytime I can get creative, I love it!

#348454 - 07/26/09 08:42 PM
Boston_Dee

Lavash is like a tortilla but bigger so you can pack it with stuff and yes grilled veggies would be good but I am more or less off all veggies at the moment. Really needing to keep things very simple -- avoiding IF as much as possible - so no veggies for me for awhile except tomatos which are technically a fruit anyway. I might try a green smoothie at some point. These days I eat a lot of hummus wraps on Lavash or tortillas.

--------------------

#348459 - 07/27/09 06:52 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Oh, sorry to hear that. When I grill my veggies to a very, very tender state, it does not bother my gut at all. I also remove the skins after the grilling, so that helps too. Now, I can't do raw, except tomatoes and cucumbers, but well-cooked works for me.

#348864 - 08/09/09 05:33 PM
rosy

Reged: 07/24/09
Loc: Israel

Instead of mayo, what I could do is- get the tuna can WITH olive oil and eat vegtables or salad as a side dish.
OR- you can top the rice with cooked veggies.
You could also send me a msg if u would like more ideas and recipes!!!
Hope this helps!

--------------------
Now, where is my fennel tea?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1189 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2513

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review