All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sports Food Question
      #347998 - 07/12/09 06:19 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is doing well- I have not visited in awhile, things have been very busy.

So next weekend I am completing my first sprint triathlon. A lot of people have mentioned to me that I will need some sort of fuel during the race and suggested I get those gels that are made of all sugar, or carbs and sugar- I don't really know. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the sports gels and how they work with our tummies. I was sort of plotting how I could eat a banana while biking but my fiance is laughing at me so I thought I'd come here and see if anyone had any insight. Any ideas of what I could eat while biking? Are the gels okay for most people? I'll probably try them out this week anyway (unless you guys say NO!) but I'd rather hear from everyone else before I make myself feel horrible

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sports Food Question new
      #347999 - 07/12/09 06:34 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Luna Moon energy chews are what I use. Electrolyte water like MetroElectro or Smart Water are safe and necessary. I find I can eat energy bars when biking, but that is just me. Not sure what a sprint triathlon is but generally up to 2 hours doesn't need much for calories. I usually get hungry and have to use the restroom when exercising but when racing I don't think of these things.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#348029 - 07/13/09 01:51 PM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there,

I would have to disagree with Little Minnie about triathlon races and calorie intake. It is EXTREMELY important to make sure you are eating/drinking enough calories before/during/and after your workouts. I would start with getting at least 100-200 calories per hour during your run/bike and eat a snack a little before your run/bike and within 30 minutes of your run/bike. Gels would be fine during the run/bike. I would recommend the cliff gels or luna gels. Here's a link http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_shot_gel/. Trust me, you will feel worse over time if you don't consume calories during this. I've seen some pretty bad cases of chronic fatigue and it really sets them back competitively. It also messes with your metabolism.

Good Luck!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#348034 - 07/13/09 05:00 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear enough. I was just remarking on calorie intake during exercise. I didn't mention eating beforehand. For me, eating before, during and after workout is important! and I bonk often after workout and eat too much in consequence. Generally though if you workout for about 1.5 hours it isn't necessary to take in calories during the workout. I often bike for 1.5 hours and can eat an energy bar before and after and be fine. For eating during a workout I use Luna Moons.
When training for an event you should be able to see how your body works. When you are racing in the event you might workout a bit longer than regularly, but it shouldn't be that much longer (or you haven't trained enough).
Again I am not sure what a Sprint triathlon is. Last year I did a duathlon in under 2 hours. I did eat Luna Moons during it and ate afterward and then got really sick. I think the stress of the day was the reason.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1016

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review