All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Corn on the cob
      #347968 - 07/11/09 06:35 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I eat corn on the cob with no problems at all, all summer long. Although I see it in my BM, it does not cause either D or C, gas or bloating, for me. I wondered why this is? Does anyone know the IF to SF in an ear?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Corn on the cob new
      #348030 - 07/13/09 02:00 PM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there,

I would say that you are lucky this isn't causing problems for you. Corn on the cob has more IF than SF. It's on the caution list. It is normal to see corn kernals in your stool. Since we have smaller teeth than we once did, we chew our food less effectively, and more of what we eat is swallowed only partially chewed, or not chewed at all. With corn, some of the kernels will be chewed fully, some partially, and the others will be unchewed and swallowed whole. Our digestive system today is not that good at digesting plant material anymore, much less whole kernels. They pass through our stomach and intestines, and appear in our stool to confound and entertain us.

If you would rather not see any corn in your stool, I recommend that you just chew each mouthful into a mushy mixture free of any whole kernels.

Best!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#348038 - 07/13/09 07:06 PM
Gerikat

Yes, I am very lucky, since it is one of my favs for the summer, and I eat it quite a bit, and I love it that it likes me.

#348045 - 07/14/09 06:51 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

LOL! You are so funny!

I love corn too! It loves me too! HAHAHAHAHA

Sweet corn is my favorite and we have some in the garden. We also have a place that grows it, and since ours isn't ready just yet, we bought a box of 48 EARS!!! WOW!!! We bagged and froze alot of it and took some to our little old lady who lives all alone (she's 84 and her husband died earlier this year and no one checks on her so we take her stuff all the time!)

Anyway, corn is good! (For you and me, anyway!)

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#348046 - 07/14/09 07:09 AM
Gerikat

Do you freeze yours? Believe it or not, I have never tried that. How does it work? We have great corn right now, and alot of it, so I would like to try that for those cold winter months when produce sucks.

#348055 - 07/14/09 09:23 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

When we buy it at the farm that raises it, it comes still in the husks. We cut both ends off of it (leave it in the husks) and put it in freezer bags. It works GREAT!!!! You can freeze it with out the husks, just make sure it's wrapped up really well to prevent freezer burn. That's the great thing about the husks is that it is so thick that it prevents the ears from getting freezer burned!

You are soooooooo right. Winter produce, except for winter squash and pomegranates, definitely sucks!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#348073 - 07/14/09 05:16 PM
Gerikat

Thanks for the tip Kappy!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3583 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1683

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review