All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How long of a time do you wait before you consider yourself "stable"? ( IBS-D)
      #347904 - 07/09/09 11:51 AM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

I was wondering what other peoples timeframes are , after a attack, that you would declare yourself stable. Usually, I notice my movements seem "normal" after a 4-5 days or so. But I'm wondering should I be more cautious for a while longer. Does more time necessarily increase stability?

That is, do you get _more_ stable, the further away you get from your last attack?

I'm having problems with getting knocked off track by things that I didn't used to have a problem with, so I've been having to do a LOT of things by trial and error. For example, just having a bowl of kashi cereal yesterday morning, made me almost have an attack this morning. I think if it wasnt for some anti-spasm drugs, the heating pad, and the fact that i've been using a better fiber supplement ( fibercon seems to be working way better than metamucil for me ), if it wasnt for all that it would of been waaay worse.

But yet, a couple months ago I used to eat that same cereal all the time, and was nice and regular.

Is it just too soon?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How long of a time do you wait before you consider yourself "stable"? ( IBS-D) new
      #347916 - 07/09/09 02:28 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I have had that happen on occasion...a food will be OK one time and then the next bother me. But, not often. Did you do anything else differently, besides the Kashi?

I don't know how others feel, but the longer I go without any problems, the more I celebrate. Is that called stable??? I don't know, but it sure makes me feel good. It has taken me years (since I was a child) to figure this thing out. I pretty much have it down to a science now, at least for myself. I don't have attacks, per se, as in pains, but I don't like surprises in the AM when getting ready for work.

Others here may be able to answer about the "stable" part and length of time, but every day I have a good day is stable to me.

Re: How long of a time do you wait before you consider yourself "stable"? ( IBS-D) new
      #347960 - 07/11/09 10:32 AM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

anybody ?

#347961 - 07/11/09 11:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It likely depends on the individual, the type of attach and other situations in your life such as stress. Sometimes I stabilize within a couple of days of an attach at other times it can take a month or so particularly in the winter.

I did find that as a removed offending foods that when I tried introducing them again I would get knock off track more easily that I did before. Also, some times when I introduced a new food after a few days I might find it was giving me problems. This one of the reasons that it is important to introduce new foods slowly so that you can determine if it is having any negative effects.

Perhaps one of the reasons that fibercon is better for you than metamucil is that it contains calcium polycarbophil which is a non-fermentable soluble fiber. Because it does not ferment it will not produce gas in the colon like many other soluble fiber supplements.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3522 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1215

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review