All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Activia vs. Yogurt in General
      #347850 - 07/07/09 10:50 PM
lobstress

Reged: 11/29/04

I've been considering trying the Activia "challenge" (eating it regularly for 2 weeks to regulate bowel habits), but I was wondering if other yogurts would do the same thing. Is it the acidophilius that does it or something else that's unique to Activia?
Are there yogurt flavors that a person with IBS shouldn't eat?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Activia vs. Yogurt in General new
      #347857 - 07/08/09 06:47 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

It's the bifidobacterium in the Activia that makes it "special". Honestly, I tried it for a while. NO LUCK what-so-ever. It killed me to eat it! For a few days, I would be fine, but then one day, BAM, it would destroy me. Bring me to my knees . Then I'd try it again a few days and would be fine, and then it would do it again.

I gave up on it. I even left a nasty (yet civil) comment on the Activia web page. They never responded to it of course. I told them not to advertise it for IBS because IBSers SHOULD NOT EAT DAIRY! Just like Heather says on this website.

The only yogurt that I would consider eating is soy yogurt that has no artificial additives. All natural is the best way to go.

According to the guidelines of Heather's diet. DON'T EAT DAIRY. Sorry, but this needs to be reiterated. It just won't work. I know, I've tried.

Everyone is different. If you are just beginning this diet, you should steer clear of it.

I DO NOT CONDONE ACTIVIA AND DO NOT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE! (OR DAIRY PRODUCTS)

HTH

HUGS

KAPPY

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#347859 - 07/08/09 07:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yogurt which is a dairy product that is not consider safe on Heather's EFI diet.

Plain Danone activia yogurt contain cups the probiotic Bifidobacterium animalis also known as Bifidobacterium lactis which Danone calls B. Regularus. It is this probiotic not acidophilus that was clinically tested on IBS suffers in a yogurt preparation. There have been at least two double blind controlled clinical studies on IBS suffers. One study on 34 individuals reported in 2008 was done by an internationally recognized IBS research group in the UK which you can read about in the research library. The other larger study on 274 individuals was reported in 2007.

Both studies found that Bifidobacterium animalis given in fermented milk (yogurt) resulted in improvements in abdominal girth and gastrointestinal transit, as well as reduced symptomatology. These data support the concept that accelerating bowel transit is a useful strategy for treating distension particularly in individuals with IBS-C. It may not be as effective for those with IBS-D.

Note flavored Activia yogurt cups and drinks contain added fructose and inulin which are not IBS friendly. Only the plain version which may be difficult to find does not contain these ingredients.

The answer to your question is Activia contains a unique probiotic that is not found in other yogurts.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#347861 - 07/08/09 07:53 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Why not just take probiotics, if you are unsure about thte effects of yogurt? You may need to try a few until you find the one that works for you. I tried 2 or 3 before settling on Nature's Way Primadophilus Reuteri. Some gave me too much gas and gurgling. I am a firm believer in 'reputable' probiotics for those with, and without, IBS symptoms. Be careful of artificial sweeteners if you do go the yogurt route. I do eat organic whole fat, plain yogurt sweetened with Truvia or Stevia, and it doesn't seem to bother me. Everyone is different, though.

#347863 - 07/08/09 09:02 AM
lobstress

Reged: 11/29/04

Thanks everyone! Lots of useful info. For some reason, I never considered the prospect of soy yogurt, which is weird because I'll do soy-anything-else. Non-dairy + healthy intestinal flora = great idea!

I like your equation..... -nt new
      #347867 - 07/08/09 11:36 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1398 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review