All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Flax and Gluten
      #347620 - 06/28/09 10:33 AM
Grammy

Reged: 06/24/09
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi, newbie here....... does anyone here use finely ground flax seed instead of acacia for bowel motility issues? I have about a pound of organic flax seed in my freezer, finely ground it would make enough for me to continue taking for months, and I wonder whether I need to throw it out or can keep taking it. I usually mix it in with my oatmeal for breakfast, sprinkle it on my quinoa, or suspend it in a lot of water and drink it down. As for gluten, is Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free cereal O.K. to eat? (Brown rice, corn, buckwheat, and sorghum.) I have it with rice milk. And if it IS o.k. to eat, how do you know from reading the ingredients?????????????

--------------------
Grammy, 71 years of age, very active for someone with Fibromyalgia, IBS, and a scary medical history. Grateful to be alive!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Flax and Gluten new
      #347621 - 06/28/09 10:56 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Ground flax should last to a year in the fridge or longer stored in the freezer.

Are you asking about Bob Red Mill GF Might Tasty Hot Cereal ? The first ingredient is whole grain brown rice which some IBSers cannot tolerate because of the IF. May I ask why you eat gluten free? Have you tested positive for celiac disease? If you did not test positive then gluten should be fine. A common food sensitivity for some IBSers is wheat which can cause gas & bloating in some individuals. This sensitivity is often confused with gluten sensitivity. Wheat sensitivity does not mean removal of wheat from the diet just moderating consumption of wheat. Can you eat regular oatmeal?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#347622 - 06/28/09 11:04 AM
Grammy

Thanks, Syl. I know the flax can keep, what I want to know is whether it is "safe" for me to continue to use?
I test negative for celiac, but gave up gluten for the same reason I gave up dairy ten years ago..... to see if it helped. Giving up the dairy produced a dramatic improvement, so I have not gone back to it (except now and then, just as a test, and I got sick each time, so that's pretty conclusive!) Since giving up the gluten I have had fewer episodes of "basketball belly with knife", but still get them, and really bad. So I started eating gluten again two days ago, and now I'm just waiting to see if any adverse effects. My husband and I just LIKE the GF cereal, so I figured we could continue to eat it, if it's IBS safe. The oatmeal I've started eating is Quaker, regular (cooks in about 5-10 minutes), and it seems fine. I've been adding about 1 T. finely ground flax seed to it. Is this safe to continue?

--------------------
Grammy, 71 years of age, very active for someone with Fibromyalgia, IBS, and a scary medical history. Grateful to be alive!

#347625 - 06/28/09 12:06 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Ah - many people on the board take use flax as well as acacia. I believe most of them are IBS-C.

PS - I am only 6 years behind you age-wise

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#347626 - 06/28/09 12:14 PM
Grammy

That explains your wisdom. You've obviously been paying attention.

--------------------

#347671 - 06/29/09 05:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I've eaten that cereal but I always put my acacia in cereal for breakfast (to get the dose) and it adds the SF to counteract whole grain IF. Bananas and other SF things can be added too. Some are more sensitive to IF than I.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#347756 - 07/02/09 05:25 PM
busta

Reged: 05/14/09
Loc: san diego ca

I have done much research on gluten sensitivity. if your are sensitive to gluten you need to keep it out of your diet. You can eat it once and no reaction but each time you will get worse and harder to get your self back to health. I am also allergic to soy and there is soy in everything. Have you read the book The whole Soy Story by Kaala Daniels. I believe that all of us IBSers have an allergy to what ever we are eating. One week afterI stopped eating gluten and soy, my symptoms are gone. I now take glucosamine fiber and enzymes I can eat almost anything. I had to go to a Naturpathic doctor who specializes in IBS. My MD could not help me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2148 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1903

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review