All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions about safe Lettuces & safe salsa
      #347451 - 06/23/09 12:37 PM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

Hey there, figured I would consolidate two questions in one topic.

The first is about lettuce. There are so many different kinds out there, who finds what kinds to be better tolerated? I always figured the tougher the leaf, the tougher it is to digest and worth avoiding. So I always stuck with iceberg. Is that correct?

Second question, salsa. I don't know if I have problems with it or not, seems like whenever I had it, it was always around the time that I had other triggers as well so its hard to tell if salsa in and of itself is a trigger.

What about anybody else, is salsa a go or no go. If go, what kind? Is any variety better than the others?

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questions about safe Lettuces & safe salsa new
      #347454 - 06/23/09 01:32 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I only eat romain lettuce and I do very well with it. I think its easier to digest than iceberg. I can't help you with the salsa its a tigger for me to many peppers and onions. hth
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#347455 - 06/23/09 01:40 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I grow my own tender baby lettuce greens and eat them. I have had homemade salsa in the past, with no problems, but not the store bought. I don't use the grocery store often.

#347456 - 06/23/09 02:27 PM

Reged: 06/22/09
Loc: the hague, netherlands

salsa is definately a NO NO for me. within minutes my stomach would be going crazy, so altho i was addicted to it, im learning to avoid it completely for my health! this has been affecting me for way too long now, if it means eliminating my fave treats from my diet then so be it!

#347467 - 06/23/09 08:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is true that the more tender the lettuce is the more it is tolerated. So IMO it goes like this from safest to most dangerous:
baby greens/micro greens
butterhead/bibb (can get that living lettuce kind at most stores)
green or red leaf
romaine
iceberg (should be avoided!)

Salsa has its issues but can be tolerated by some. It is acidy and it can be spicy and the garlic and onions bother some people. I used to be fine with it but have developed a problem with acid foods lately and I only make salsa in summer so we'll see how I do! I am talking about tomato based salsa. I make pineapple or mango salsa a lot (the fruit, purple onion or scallion, garlic, lime juice, hot peppers, Thai basil, and a squeeze of lime and pinch of salt.)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#347503 - 06/24/09 12:43 PM
moonwillow

Reged: 06/10/09

Bibb or butter lettuce works well for me-so far I have't had a problem. I eat all the others in very small amounts and with great caution (meaning I eat SF like sourdough bread first). Don't have an issue with salsa, but then I don't eat muc either.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4088 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1850

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review