All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For Orlando new
      #346981 - 06/07/09 05:59 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

No, no worries, no embarrassment! Yes, for sure, start with the diet. But, if you find that your trigger is a bit more mental than food related, the cd's will help greatly. I caught them at a time when they were on sale, but I do understand cost. We try so much with IBS that doesn't work, that it is hard to spend more money. But, if you decide to try them, you won't be sorry. HTH

Lynn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hi, I'm new new
      #347020 - 06/08/09 09:45 PM
Orlando

Reged: 06/03/08
Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback. I am going to follow the diet strictly and see how that works for me. I was using the disability resource center when I was in college previously but am not sure if I will get in now as I have no doctor. But you are a lot braver than me because unlike the rest of my life, in class I just want to blend in and telling teachers about my condition and etc. really makes me uncomfortable. In some respects that makes me even more anxious. I think I will follow the diet and see how that works for me. I really appreciate all of the info that you have given me. If you dont mind me asking, what school do you currently attend?

#347151 - 06/12/09 07:20 PM
Orlando

Hi, Janey. I had a question for you. I recently started the IBS diet, and I mean very recently. I ate the blueberry oatmeal recipe. Now I dont know if my stomach is conflicting with anything else I ate, but I feel a bit anxious right now. I guess my question is, does my body have to get used to these new foods, or what? I dont know if I asked you, but do you recommend the hypnotherapy as far as helping me with my anxiety and school?

#347171 - 06/13/09 08:16 PM
bijou

Reged: 05/05/09

For sure!

I assume your school has either a medical center or at least a clinic - can you get a doctor there to recommend you to the program? The doctor that diagnosed me at my clinic unfortunately was very old and a "its all in your head" doctor and refused to put me on the program. Luckily I still have Kaiser insurance through my father's company so I'm having a non-university doctor fill out the forms for me.

Or if you don't mind, you can see your schools psychologists [which are almost always free] and they can diagnose you with general anxiety and get you on the program as well - all you need to do is demonstrate to the program that your anxiety influences your school work and that should be pretty easy to do. I was given that option when my doctor refused, but I was worried about hiring discrimination - as mental disorders as compared to physical disorders are viewed less favorably, fair or not.

And I assure you, it was so hard for me to tell them as I'm incredibly shy. But the week before finals I had a mini breakdown -due more to lack of sleep and studying for 12 hours in the same room than fear of IBS - and I sent all my teachers explanatory emails. Its amazing what inhibitions you lose when you are desperate.

And they were surprisingly understanding - most of your professors have been teaching for a long time and have had plenty of students with embarrassing disorders. And to have that security -that you can leave at any time- walking into an exam is really helpful. I just finished all my finals and didn't have to use the bathroom once, but it was nice to know I had that option.

I go to one of the 10 Universities of California, I won't say which one this being the internet, but its a fun place to go to school:)

--------------------
IBS-D, Trying to make it through college

#347220 - 06/16/09 09:31 AM
Orlando

Thank you. I will definitely do that. Thanks for all the help

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2578 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4575

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review