All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is your IBS Temperature or Smell Sensitive?
      #346745 - 06/02/09 08:37 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

I'm wondering if anyone with IBS have issues with room temperatures or smells activating their IBS? I find if I go to certain stores in my area, my IBS starts to flare and I have to go to a restroom. I find this always in book and thrift stores. This is strange, I know, but curious if anyone else encouters this? Why it happens, I have no clue.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is your IBS Temperature or Smell Sensitive? new
      #346751 - 06/03/09 04:27 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I've had this problem before, too. For some reason, Target had that effect for quite awhile. For me, it might have just been anxiety. Freshly cut grass also gets to me sometimes.

With book and thrift stores, I wouldn't be surprised if dust created by the types of merchandise might trigger it.

#346782 - 06/03/09 10:44 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I to have this issue. Mine is if I get heated all of a sudden or the goodwill store we have here in town. Every time I walk in that store I have to use the restroom within 10 minutes. Also if I walk into a store or building I know within 10seconds if I can stay or have to go out. Kinda weird that this happens but I think we are just so sensitive to everything when we have to deal with ibs. I've also been at church and was sitting by my sister and was fine then all 6 of her kids came in and sat down, within a few minutes I had to leave cause I got an overcrowded feeling which brought on hot flashes.

Wal-Mart is my trigger! LOL new
      #346785 - 06/03/09 11:42 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Every time I walk in Wal-Mart I suddenly have to go to the bathroom. Very strange. Maybe anxiety because it is so big and so many people there.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#346843 - 06/04/09 10:42 AM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

Smell...not really, but temperatures, yes!

I don't know if it is the heat, or the stress from being too hot, or a combination (most likely), but if I get too hot I have to go to the bathroom EVERY TIME. I've noticed that when I go to the mall, as soon as I get in there it is head straight to the bathroom. Maybe it is a Pavlov's Dog sort of response...I've been hot pretty much every time I go to the mall, so when I get there my body automatically freaks out. My thyroid is high anyway and that doesn't help my body temperature!

I also find that just the stress of wondering where a bathroom is makes me have to go. I find that situation arising in malls and stores. I hate it, but I think that just makes it worse. I find that if I remind myself that I have my fiber tablets, and some Imodium in my purse for emergencies, and that there are always public bathrooms in big stores, I can relax a bit. But I never go to the mall with anyone but my kids and/or husband, they understand.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1731 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1411

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review