All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
About to Give up on Acacia Tummy Fiber
      #346738 - 06/02/09 03:53 PM
Howard Goffen

Reged: 02/18/09

I have had chronic IBS and constipation for about 35 years. I have been through the usual doctor route, including my cousin who is a well-known gastroenterologist. He has put me on very meds at various times, but nothing has really helped. In about January, my IBS really moved up to a new level (probably more induced by stress - the serious illness of my younger daughter). My cousin put me back on Bentyl and Miralax, and although the Miralax helped the constipation, the Bentyl did nothing for the IBS. Since that time, he has used two more meds, but neither have have helped, and although I don't think he has given up on me, I think he has un out of ideas.

I did sone surfing on the web on found this site. I have now beeen on Heather's products for about three months. I use the peppermint capsules (one before every meal), the Fennel tea and Acacia Tummy Fiber, but nothing seems to be helping. I am up to 9 teaspoons of Acacia, but can't seem to get above that because any more causes bad bloating, gas and no relief of the pain. I am fairly good with my diet. No dairy, coffee or anything that may be a trigger, although I have gone back to salads. All of this has caused me to lose about7-8 pounds. Can anyone give me your thoughts or suggestions? No cures or quick fixes, just support. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: About to Give up on Acacia Tummy Fiber new
      #346747 - 06/02/09 08:54 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

So you have C predominent IBS? It is the hardest to get stable. Bentyl IMO can make C worse. I am not sure but 3T of acacia after starting only 3 months ago seems pretty fast. Water/tea, exercise and lots of healthy fiber (SF mixed with IF) is the best for C. I would wait before increasing the acacia, but don't give up on it. Remember that IBS isn't curable and try to think of the whole picture- making the gut stable- not alleviating temporary gas. So I feel staying with acacia is important. IMO getting regular regarding BMs has to come first before the pain, 'twistiness', gas and bloating is improved.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#346755 - 06/03/09 05:34 AM
Howard Goffen

Thanks for the post. This thing has been with me for so long that sometimes I find it hard to believe I will ever reach any degree of comfort. Back on Acacia today. By the way, I take the Tummy Tamers and Priolec OTC (for GERD) in the a.m. plus a couple of other meds. Any suggestions as to the order I should take them? And when do I then take the Acacia? Thanks

#346855 - 06/04/09 02:45 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

3 months is REALLY fast for being at that dose of acacia. it took me at least 6 months to get to that same dose, which is where I stayed. But stabilizing took me a good year, too. With C, you have to be patient. I am thinking that the gas and bloating you are still having could be from the acacia.

For C, I recommend Natural Calm (search the boards), and that may help a little with the gas and bloating, too.

Do you exercise? Do it every day!! This is even more important for C-ers. And drink LOTS of water.

Finally, do the hypnosis program. It works. It REALLY works.

Good luck to you!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#346987 - 06/08/09 07:12 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Try this article about the five constipation frustrations. http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/062205.html#askheather Also make sure your getting enough IF it's really important with C.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#347017 - 06/08/09 07:48 PM
Howard Goffen

I will reduce my consumption of Acacia, and go more slowly, adding in more exercise and water as Heather suggested in "The Five Constipation Frustrations." Let's see if that helps because right now I am getting not so much bloating. but a lot of gas.

#347045 - 06/09/09 11:46 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there,

Once you really start to understand what causes the IBS it will make a lot more sense. The 2 key strategies we recommend to get the constipation or diarrhea to stabilize involve dietary changes to address the triggers that are affecting the dysregulation of the nervous system in the gut that controls the motility (frequency – too slow or too fast) and soluble fiber (acacia is the most tolerable for IBS) to help address the consistency of the bowel movements. The dietary triggers are the same for both diarrhea and constipation IBS, the individual just responds differently by either slowing down or speeding up the motility. Removing the dietary triggers for a while will allow the gut nervous system to calm down and ease the dysregulation that affects the motility. Once it is calmed down, the frequency will begin to normalize and you can then carefully start bringing things back into the diet following all of the tips Heather talks about in her books to prevent IBS from getting irritated again. To get the best results you should tackle IBS with both approaches……diet for normal motility/frequency and acacia for normal consistency. The fennel (for gas/bloating) and the peppermint caps and teas (for pain associated with cramping and spasming) are to help you manage the associated symptoms that often come along with IBS. The peppermint is soothing and calming to the dysregulated and hypersensitive nervous system in the colon. They are designed to calm things down before the food gets there to prevent any trigger foods in the meal from causing a flare up of the IBS nervous system dysregulation. Soluble fiber also works like a cushion between your colon and these trigger foods to help minimize the effect and in turn minimize the chances of aggravating IBS.

Taking too much acacia too fast can cause increased gas and bloating. Acacia is one of the lowest gas-forming fibers out there and going slow makes the gas issue totally avoidable. Please be patient because this really does work.

We recommend starting with ½ teaspoon twice a day (daily dose of 1 teaspoon). You can split the daily dose up as many time as you like throughout the day, just divide it by 2 or 3 depending on the frequency you prefer. Try to increase the dose every 4th day or so by a teaspoon (add this to the daily dose). If you get increased gas and bloating by jumping the dose up by a teaspoon, try cutting this in half. Some people with IBS are so sensitive they have to go up at ¼ teaspoons every 4th day. Keep stepping up the dose every 4th day or so until you find a dose that resolves your constipation and/or diarrhea. Constipation is usually resolved with a daily dose of 4-5 tablespoons/day and diarrhea/loose stools usually resolves at a lower dose of 1-3 tablespoons/day. You shouldn't take more than 5 tbsp/day. The maintenance dose is different for each person depending on their specific symptoms. Dietary changes are often necessary to make lasting changes. In the beginning until you stabilize, it works best to take the acacia before each meal to minimize the effect of trigger foods in the meal and to calm the intestines before the food arrives.

Regarding GERD: It's important to take the peppermint capsules an hour before you eat on an empty stomach. You want to make sure that you take the peppermint capsules at least 1.5 hours away from your GERD medication. The medication lowers your stomach acid levels which increase the risk of the peppermint capsules dissolving in the stomach rather than the intestines.

I hope this helps!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#347073 - 06/10/09 10:26 AM
Howard Goffen

If I have been on the Acacia for 3 1/2 months, at the rate of a 1/2 teaspoon every 4 days, I should have already reached the maximum dosage of 12 teaspoons, yet I still get a lot of gas. I was up to 9 teaspoons and have had to cut back to where I am now, which is 5. I am going a more slowly now, and so let's see what occurs with a slower pace .

#349101 - 08/16/09 03:59 AM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

I find that fiber supplements are not for everyone for IBS. I tried one after another at a very low dose then increased slowly but they all gave me extreme cramps, bloating, and gas. For months I suffered.

#349364 - 08/23/09 07:44 PM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

You can still take peppermint capsules with GERD? I thought that you should not take them at all- even according to those guidelines.

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4775 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3892

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review