All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What DO YOU DO when your tired of turkey chicken and fish?
      #346459 - 05/28/09 07:18 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hello everyone just need some advice. I am so tired of turkey chicken and fish. This is thursday and we have already had turkey buger twice chicken and poatoes twice and noodles twice. I am only alowed fish 1 a week so thats gone to. Any suggestions would be so great thanks you! I don't have any go to items or quick stuff. I am so tire of the same pattern.Any ideas would be great thanks!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What DO YOU DO when your tired of turkey chicken and fish? new
      #346460 - 05/28/09 07:45 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I dunno what to tell you! I'm about tired of the same old stuff myself! I eat mainly oatmeal twice a day and/or tuna or chicken and sometimes some salmon, but that's about it!

I'm so sorry I couldn't help you more!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#346463 - 05/28/09 08:42 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It does get old but I try to remind myself that even when I could eat red meat, I'd complain about "beef, pork, chicken; beef, pork chicken; over and over and over." Here are some suggestions to switch things up a little:

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and gravy.

Soups.

If you can eat seafood other than fish more than once a week (why is that limited?) there are shrimp recipes, scallop recipes, crabmeat recipes.

Safe turkey dogs with oven fries.

Pasta salads.

Chicken fajitas.

Spaghetti with sauce (with or without ground turkey).

Pizza.

Try some exotic stuff like spring rolls or Chinese meatballs. They do just as well for entrees as for appetizers.

Check out some vegan recipes. Supposedly grilled portobello mushrooms make a good meat substitute.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#346464 - 05/28/09 09:12 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Grilled portobella mushrooms are the best!!!! I slice them in strips then sautee them in some pam and chicken broth until they are good and tender and most of the broth has disappeared! This is great on an english muffin with some soy cheese or with out soy cheese!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#346466 - 05/28/09 09:56 AM
emmasmom

thanks for the help I wish I could so some of these heres why I can't
Safe turkey dogs = gives me horrible indigestion
Chicken fajitas can't do seasoning and don't like peppers & onions
Spaghetti with sauce = trigger haven't tried it in about 4 yrs
Pizza same reason as spaghetti sauce
I mix miss comfort go to foods like mac and cheese with broccoli can't do either one of them.
I like shells turkey meatloaf but I have made it twice in 2 weeks
Maybe I just need new recipes its just hard when your limted.But keep the ideas coming please!
I repeat the same "if" as well. I need variety!
thanks again for the help. I am willing to try anything to get out of this rut!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#346474 - 05/28/09 01:27 PM
Sand

There are recipes on the Recipe Board for IBS safe mac and cheese. There is also a recipe for mock tomato sauce that you may be able to use to make spaghetti and pizza.

Most of what I cook has onions or garlic or both in it. If you weren't following Heather's guidelines what would you be eating other than mac and cheese?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#346534 - 05/29/09 03:56 PM
krbrando

Reged: 05/29/09

I know it is still "turkey" but I make barbecue and it feels a bit different. I stopped eating red meat about 5 years ago and adapted the recipe to using ground turkey (usually ground turkey breast) instead.

I just brown the turkey, sometime adding onion or garlic powder as it browns. After its brown, I throw in some ketchup, a little bit of water, mustard - usually a dijon or honey, but plain yellow works too, a capful of some type of vinegar - I usually use wine or right now I have a rice vinegar, and about 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar. Sorry that I don't have exact amounts. Probably for a lb. of meat I use around 1/2 to 3/4 cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup water, a nice long squirt of mustard. Basically I do it to taste, It creates a nice sauce, and you can figure out what you like. What's nice is - if you add to much of one thing, just use a bit more of the others to fix it.

Right before I start it, I either put up some type of pasta -I like shells or rigatoni, or rice, and put the barbecue over it.

Its savory and one of the few things my stomach actually tolerates.

I am close to a Trader Joe's and have found their ketchup that has no hfcs.

#346535 - 05/29/09 06:21 PM
fairleas

Reged: 05/05/09
Loc: USA

I've been eating the Gardenburger or Boca soyburgers and fakie chicken patties. Surprisingly, they're pretty good, and I don't feel so deprived when everyone else is having something I can't have. Normally, I fix whatever for everyone else and then I fix what I can eat...that way they aren't locked into turkey/chicken/fish and can have what they like.

Shrimp is good, as are scallops. A quick stir-fry with just a touch of Pam (or not, sometimes if you do it reallyreallyreallyfast you don't need it) and served on some white rice. Meatloaf made with ground turkey or chicken sounds good.

Personally, I'll take limited variety over constant IBS-D (my symptoms) any day.

--------------------
IBS-D since...well, a long time
(probiotic acidophilous, SF supplements, IBS eating plan)
my blog

Sand..... new
      #346638 - 06/01/09 09:37 AM
emmasmom

Sand other than mac and cheese heres what I would be eating..
Bean salad (including blacke beans & baked beans YUM)
Ranch dressing
Peanutbutter & jelly
snack cakes
Oranges
cantalope
Salasa
Chili
Grilled Cheese
oatmeal rasin cookies
Mac&cheese
pizza
tater tots
cream of chicken
cottage cheese
sour cream
pepperjack cheese
Hot Ham & cheese
Broccoli
Fettucini alfredo
deviled eggs
Meat- pork bugers, and bacon
Since I can't do soy or rice cheese mac and cheese is out of the question. I tried the mock sauce and I haven't put any of the seasoings in it (afraid to) I can't do very many beets they gas me and give me d unless my bodys not use to them.
Snacks are hard as well. I just do smoothies, graham crackers or heathers zucchini bread. I only do two smothies as well peach strawberry or peach blueberry can't do bananas there a huge trigger for me.
If you can help in any way it would be very appericated. Thanks for listening.
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: Sand..... new
      #346640 - 06/01/09 09:41 AM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

I made the mock tomato sauce and it was actually pretty good. It also freezes good. Can you eat stuff like morning star vege burgers or vege sausage patties? I do ok with them and most vege's send me to the bathroom but for some reason these I can tolerate. Just a suggestion :-)

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

Are they made of soy?-nt new
      #346647 - 06/01/09 10:36 AM
emmasmom

Re: Are they made of soy?-nt new
      #346648 - 06/01/09 11:05 AM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

ggrrrr the have soy protein and soy isolate in them :-(

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

#346688 - 06/02/09 05:53 AM
Sand

Hmm. As I said almost everything I eat has onions or garlic or both so I'm not going to be a lot of help.

Here's an old post from Atomic Rose on eating bland - maybe it will give you a few ideas: web page -

I've probably given you this already but here's one example of someone's daily diet. She eats pretty much the same thing every day but changes it up with condiments, side dishes, and snacks: web page

As for recipes, here's one you might try: Chicken Chutney Mustard - since spices bother you substitute preserves or marmalades for the chutney.

And, as I said, there are a number of seafood recipes on the Recipe Board. If I remember correctly there's at least one recipe on the Board for "burgers" made with some kind of beans. It's a burger but at least it would be a different kind of burger. You can also make "burgers" using shrimp, crabmeat, and fish.

Finally, I have a fake cheese cookbook that I've never made anything from but it has a recipe for fake mac and cheese in it. If I remember correctly, it uses nutritional yeast to somehow fake the cheese so there's no soy or rice cheese in it. If you're interested, I'll post the recipe. (There is also at least one fake grilled cheese recipe in it.)

HTH.

--------------------

#346702 - 06/02/09 08:03 AM
emmasmom

Thank you first of all for your help. I didn't think I would be able to get any of that stuff on my list back.:(

I was wondering if you could help me with beans and broccoli I want them both back in my diet but its been 3 years i have been with out them so I know I need to start slow and I know they will produce some gas. Where do I need to start with these? Will my body just finley adjust to them?
I can do cream corn now and I was wondering if regular corn would be ok to try?

I have been wanting to make they Tomatoe pasta salad thats on the bored forever but I know I can't do the dressing. I tried italain dressing before and guess what gas! Is there a differant dressing I could put on

I miss fried chicken any idea there? I would love a baked fired chicken. I make chicken fingers with panko so maybe something differant.?

When ypur tired and its hot out and you don't feellike cooking what do you fix? Where you can make sure you have sf & if?

Thank you for the idea on the mac & cheese and grilled I have tried the nutritional yeast before and it taste horrible!! and it also gave me bad gas with pains. Thank you for the help on it though I appericate it.

thanks again and any help is welcome!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#346760 - 06/03/09 06:13 AM
Sand

For beans, you can try the White Bean and Almond Dip from Heather's EFI cookbook. For broccoli, try one of the mashed potato with broccoli recipes from the Recipe Index. There are two or three of them out there. Or just make Skinny Mashed Potatoes - potatoes and chicken broth - and whirl in a little well-cooked broccoli. Start with just a little bit of broccoli and work up.

For both beans and broccoli, take Beano. I think the liquid is disgusting so I recommend the tablets.

Go slowly with the corn. Try just a few kernels with a solid SF base and see how you do.

I can't think of a different dressing for the tomato pasta salad.

As for fried chicken, there are a lot of baked "fried" recipes on the Recipe Board including one that used ranch dressing and potato flakes.

When it's hot we grill a lot for dinner. I marinate chicken or fish or shrimp and Joe grills it. We eat them with rice or sometimes just good bread. For lunch I make a lot of pasta salads. I particularly like the chicken, almond, grape one; Shell's tuna and apple one; and the Pasta Salad Nicoise. I cook the pasta the night before when it's cooler and then put the salad together right before lunch. I also make chicken salad sandwiches (super easy) and the Weight Watchers shrimp and artichoke salad. Joe makes guacamole for lunch pretty regularly. I don't worry too much about IF since I'm IBS-D.

HTH.

--------------------

#346860 - 06/04/09 05:21 PM
busta

Reged: 05/14/09
Loc: san diego ca

I have just discovered that I am not able to drink the acacia fiber. i have tried it 3x and each time after the second dose I was with D for days. Ihave ibs-d. has anyone had a problem with this? I only took 1/2 of a tesp. HELP ]

#346863 - 06/04/09 05:40 PM
bubbles07

Reged: 05/19/09

I agree, vege burgers are great! You don't even miss the meat at all. Roast root veges are tasty served with rice or noodles as are prawns.

It is hard but worth the no tummy pains!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7346 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5872

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review