All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Using fat in IBS diet
      #346129 - 05/18/09 03:32 AM
kspan5

Reged: 05/17/09

Help! I have a 10 y.o. who is starving literally. She needs FAT, and asap. She's been on the diet for 3 weeks and it is helping, although we still are hitting triggers we haven't figured out yet. How can I fatten her up on the diet?

--------------------
My 10 y.o. daughter not yet diagnosed with IBS - but the diet is keeping her alive (no help yet from docs!) Severe nausea, constipation only.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Using fat in IBS diet new
      #346142 - 05/18/09 09:26 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Heather's EFI Diet is low-fat NOT fat free. A simple way to add calories is through stuff like the fruit and vegetable breads in Heather's EFI Cookbook and through desserts. Another way to to make sure your daughter eats small amounts pretty much continually throughout the day.

Can you post a representative day of what she's eating? Then people can make suggestions about what you can do to add some calories. Also is your daughter IBS-D, C, or A?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#346171 - 05/18/09 08:08 PM
kspan5

Well she is eating a LOT more than she was! Wonderful. For breakfast she ate a muffin I made (with rice milk, mango, white flour, oat flour, egg whites, applesauce, and I put 1/4C flax seed in to get fat in her). She had 1/2C chicken and rice soup for lunch (cheap brand, probably terrible for her), tiny piece of french bread with 1 tsp. mashed avocado on it (=fat?!). Does that give you an idea? She had a graham cracker for snack with rice milk, for dinner I made her white rice and white chicken with broth, s&p. and a biggee before bed: 1/2 white bagel with clarified butter (she wanted it) and cinnamon sugar. She has IBS-C (the C is bad!)

--------------------
My 10 y.o. daughter not yet diagnosed with IBS - but the diet is keeping her alive (no help yet from docs!) Severe nausea, constipation only.

Re: Using fat in IBS diet - IBS-Cs need Insoluble Fiber new
      #346186 - 05/19/09 09:39 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Your daughter is not getting anywhere near enough Insoluble Fiber. In fact, I'm not sure she's getting any except for the flax seed (I think) and the graham cracker (not much). If she has C she desperately needs Insoluble Fiber on top of a Soluble Fiber base. Also she does need fat in her diet. Use Smart Balance Light as her "butter" and cook with olive oil or canola oil.

It sounds like you might have read the section on the Break The Cycle Diet and be following it for too long. Eating all Soluble Fiber foods is a very, very temporary measure - 3 days at most. IBS-D can get away with it for longer but to resolve C you MUST add Insoluble Fiber.

For breakfast try one of the fruit muffins on the Recipe Board. Try the Fresh Strawberry muffins and the Nothin to It Muffins with blueberries mentioned here . You can do a pre-breakfast of applesauce to "wake up" your daughter's tummy before giving her stuff with fat and Insoluble Fiber in it.

Instead of chicken and rice soup for lunch try a vegetable soup. This one has lots of veggies. You can start out making the recipe with mostly Soluble veggies (lots of carrots and zucchini) and gradually replace those with more Insoluble veggies (like the beans) over time. Serve this with French or Italian bread or with saltines.

Dinner can be broiled chicken and rice but you need to add an IF vegetable of some kind. Start with just a little of the IF and gradually increase the amount. And cruise through the Recipe Index: there are burgers and chicken nuggets and all kinds of different recipes to try. Plain chicken and rice gets awfully boring.

Smoothies are an excellent way to get fruits into your daughter. I like this one. If your daughter's tummy is sensitive to very cold things let the fruit thaw before you make the smoothie. And of course the fruit and vegetable breads from Heather's EFI Cookbook and the desserts on the Recipe Board make great snacks.

It might be helpful for you to read through *all* the background information about Heather's approach. Here's a post that will direct you to all of it. Also, here's a post from a woman who manages her IBS-C with Heather's approach where she describes what she eats each day. This might give you a sense of where you want to get to with your daughter's diet. Note that her first meal of the day is Soluble Fiber; she adds the Insoluble Fiber after her tummy gets the Soluble Fiber first.

As I said in my earlier response it's helpful to eat a lot of smaller meals: it helps get more calories in; it keeps your daughter's digestive system running throughout the day so it doesn't start and stop (that's tough on IBS); and it helps avoid an overfull tummy which is bad for IBS. Try explaining to your daughter that she needs to eat like a Hobbit.

Finally, try a Soluble Fiber Supplement like Acacia. Start at a very low dose and go up slowly. Once you work up to it, you can put a teaspoon of Acacia in one of those half cups of applesauce and it's a great tummy starter first thing in the morning. Be sure your daughter drinks lots of fluids.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, just ask.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#346261 - 05/21/09 11:55 AM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

Does your daughter have alot of nausia? When I was about 22 yrs old, I was hit with severe nausia and could not sit through a meal without feeling sick. I kept going to docs and they gave me "compazine" to get rid of the nausia. They test for giardia and lots of GI tests. Finally, I complained to enough people and someone told me to try a chiropracter. I did and after my very first adjustment, I actually sat through a dinner and could eat and not feel sick. It took about 2 weeks of going M-W-F, and my nausia was gone. The time my nausia started I had gone to Mexico and also camping at a Lake, hence the testing for Giardia. I also took a bad fall backwards, but never related this to the cause of my feeling sick. I had no clue the fall had anything to do with the nausia, but swear it must have been it, cause after the chiropractor visits, my nausia was gone and I could enjoy eating again. Kids fall down all the time, so maybe this is something you can check on. Poor kiddo, nothing worse than feeling nausious. Makes you never want to go out it public. Chiropracters will try and tell you to continue going all the time, I only went for the first month faithfully, and only go now when I feel like something is not right. I don't believe Chiropractic treatments need to continue weekly, only as needed. Good luck.

#346299 - 05/22/09 09:21 AM
paloma

Reged: 05/21/09
Loc: Mexico

Have you tried digestive enzymes? These help me digest a heavy or fatty meal. I don't have nausea but when I ocasionally do, enzymes help very much. maybe if she digests everything better, she will be able to eat better and suffer less.

Good luck

--------------------
IBS-C for over 10 years, recently diagnosed

#346306 - 05/22/09 04:41 PM
kspan5

That is fascinating! I agree with you that one doesn't need to go to a chirop. continuously. One really helped me after a car accident... I don't know whether she fell or not, but we'll certainly talk. Thanks for input,

--------------------

#346307 - 05/22/09 04:42 PM
kspan5

I don't know what "digestive enzymes" are, but will ask at the nature food store...

--------------------

Re: Using fat in IBS diet - IBS-Cs need Insoluble Fiber new
      #346308 - 05/22/09 04:47 PM
kspan5

thank you, thank you, thank you... It looks like I have a lot of work to do I knew it, but didn't know exactly what...

--------------------

#346322 - 05/23/09 07:49 AM
paloma

Reged: 05/21/09
Loc: Mexico

Digestive enzymes are a supplement that aids digestion. Our bodys produce these substances naturally so we can digest food, but sometimes we can help a little by giving it more.... You have no idea how the enzymes help me tolerate a lot of food I wouldn't be able to without them!!
I would strongly recomend you give them a try

--------------------
IBS-C for over 10 years, recently diagnosed

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1688 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4533

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review