All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acidophillis?
      #3461 - 03/20/03 01:22 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I just went to the health store on my lunch and bought chewable acidophillis tablets. Anyone ever try these? I've never tried acidophillis. They are supposed to be raspberry flavored.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acidophillis? new
      #3464 - 03/20/03 01:54 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I've tried acidophillis capsules that you have to keep in the fridge to keep the bacteria alive. They didn't seem to work but I didn't try them for long as I was going through quite a rough time and was wary of anything that might make it worse. They are meant to be good as they will improve digestion by repopulating your gut with healthy bacteria.
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#3465 - 03/20/03 01:55 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Nugget,
What are you trying to accomplish by taking these pills? My doc presribed probiotics with acidoph. for me because I took a lot of antibiotics earlier this year and he wanted to replenish the bacteria in my body. Have you somehow lost good/bad bacteria in the past year? Are there other uses for acidoph. (I'd love to learn more!) Thanks Nugget!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3466 - 03/20/03 02:00 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Heather says in the First Year-
'acidophilus supplements...help normalise and maintain healthy gastrointestinal flora, which can minimise diarrhea. They are most effective when your gut is under assault from antibiotics'
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#3470 - 03/20/03 02:46 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

I take two capsules a day but am wondering if I'll continue after this bottle is gone. From what I read recently, many manufacturers of acidophilus put out inactive (i.e., useless) versions of this product. Perhaps not knowingly (?) but tests on various makers' products found this to be so. Unfortunately, the article didn't list the good ones. It must be refrigerated to keep the probiotic alive and therefore beneficial. What I read said that you can test it by putting a capsule in 2-4 ounces of milk for 24 hours. If it thickens (I picture yogurt-like), the acidophilus is active. The reason I take it is to have a probiotic in my system for all digestion it might help with and also, in case I unknowingly (or stupidly) eat something with some dairy, I might survive a bit better. Hope this helps!

#3472 - 03/20/03 02:56 PM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Make sure you are getting the "live" form of acidophillis, which needs to be refrigerated. I am currently on a heavy dose of it and haven't noticed much of a difference, however my homeopath (who I bought them from) is of the opinion that EVERYONE should be on acidophillis regardless of their digestive health and it may take up to 18 months to see any results.

Who knows if this works, but it's certainly not hurting me so what the heck?

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#3575 - 03/21/03 07:27 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Thank you all for your input on this! I really appreciate your time and effort.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 545 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1596

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review