All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Orange Juice, Spaghetti Sauce, Oatmeal
      #345819 - 05/09/09 02:37 PM
Toyama

Reged: 05/09/09

New to the site. Just wondering.. Four things that I have not seen listed anywhere spell disaster for my stomach. I'm curious if anyone out there has the same issues..

Orange Juice, Spaghetti Sauce, Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip Cookies

Anyone...?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Orange Juice, Spaghetti Sauce, Oatmeal new
      #345825 - 05/09/09 03:13 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Hi. Welcome to the Boards. It sounds like you've ended up in the Bulletin Boards without realizing Heather has a whole eating plan that these Boards provide support for. Here's an old post I did that will send you to the background reading. I think you'll find it quite enlightening: your daily cup of white rice is precisely the sort of Soluble Fiber Heather recommends so highly.

As for your specific questions:

Orange juice: Fruit juices deliver a lot of fructose very quickly so they are far more problematic for IBSers than fruit itself (see this). Some IBSers, especially when they first start on Heather's plan, need to be careful about acidity also.

Spaghetti sauce: It depends on how you make it. Red meat and high fat are IBS triggers. If you watch the fat content and make it meatless or with ground turkey or chicken and serve it with lotsa pasta, you can probably tolerate it. Again, however, the acidity may be a problem for you.

Oatmeal: This is one of Heather's Soluble Fiber foods but it's actually half Soluble Fiber and half easily digested Insoluble Fiber. Some IBSers tolerate it well, some IBSers can't tolerate it at all.

Chocolate chip cookies: IBS disaster. Whether store-bought or home-made from a standard recipe, these are high-fat and contain dairy and egg yolks. Luckily there's a perfectly yummy IBS-safe recipe on the Recipe Board.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#345828 - 05/09/09 03:28 PM
Toyama

Reged: 05/09/09

Great!

It's so nice to start learning more. I thought I was a pro and it turns out I'm just a pro at enduring pain.

Thank you so much.

#345831 - 05/09/09 04:30 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I believe orange juice like other citrus juices has about equal amounts of fructose and glucose. 100 grams (1/2 cup) of orange juice contains about 3 grams of glucose, 3 grams of fructose and 4 grams of sucrose. Since the fructose is in balanced with glucose orange juice should not present an excessive fructose load to the gut. However, there is a considerable amount of vitamin C or ascorbic acid in orange juice which is known to cause indigestion even in non-IBSers.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#345913 - 05/11/09 06:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have just recently gotten sensitive to acids from OJ and tomato products. One night I had spaghetti then OJ before bed and my tummy felt sour. It did again the next time I had tomato sauce. So that sucks because I used to be fine with it.

Anyone who knows me will tell you I adore cookies but you can't have just any cookie-with the fat and dairy in them. You can find or bake safe-ish cookies but you always have to watch the fat amount and eat after a meal.
Oatmeal is a personal one that some, like me, say is their safe food and others say it is a killer.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#345932 - 05/12/09 12:17 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Those first 2 things about kill me so I gave them up years ago. Oatmeal is about 50/50 for me, so I rarely eat it anymore since I never know how I'll react. The chocolate chip cookies I can do a small amount of homemade (store bought ones tend to have HFCS or transfat or some other artificial crap) - due to the high fat content, though, this is only an occasional treat after a good SF meal.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#345936 - 05/12/09 12:50 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think it's impressive you managed to figure out how helpful white rice is and that you've identified some foods that are hard on your tummy. I certainly never got that far on my own.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1979 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2157

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review