All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pregnancy and ibs diet
      #34542 - 12/31/03 07:08 AM
kctrun

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Virginia

Has anyone gone through a pregnancy while on the ibs diet. Is it safe? I planned on talking to a doctor but the advice on this board has always been the best! Not rushing into anything, but one of the reason I did not try last year was because of my stomach problems. I still plan to give it more time to make sure I remain feeling better and I am afraid to think that I would have to change my eating habits if I were to get pregnant? Any thoughts

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pregnancy and ibs diet new
      #34561 - 12/31/03 08:34 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Even though there is really good advice on this board, you still need to talk to your doctor about your diet to make sure it is healthy for you and your baby.

There have been a couple people on the boards who have gone through pregnancy and done the IBS diet. Perhaps Lana can help you out more as she's our resident pregnant chick right now.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#34571 - 12/31/03 08:53 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hello and congratulations! I can't believe out of all of us women I am the only one to be pregnant right now LOL

Anyways - there is a thread going on in the Living Room right now about how most of the women went into remission from their IBS while pregnant.

I was lucky like that for about 3 months and then had to go back to eating "safe."

My doctor sees nothing wrong with my diet as long as I ensure to take my prenatal vitamin daily. I have had no problems or complaints.

Best of luck!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#34694 - 12/31/03 07:56 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the boards. I have been through two pregnancies now and was just fine. The important thing is to talk to your Doctor and have him/her address your concerns.
Are you feeling more stable on Heather's diet? Have you eliminated any other triggers in your diet? If you are sticking to this diet, and are stable you should be fine. My Doctor advised me to take a prenatal vitamin every day and to stop worrying. Remember, the baby is so tiny in the first trimester that its nutritional needs are also tiny. Plus, tons of women feel sick during their first trimester. Even ones without IBS. Consider it an advantage - with IBS we all certainly know how to handle tummy upsets. I took lots of ginger tea and soda crackers that first trimester.
There have been lots of discussions on this. Do a board search and read through old posts.
If you have any concerns or questions, don't hesitate. I don't mind sharing my experiences and Lana and others are also a great help.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#34820 - 01/01/04 07:14 PM
kctrun

Thanks! It is good to know that I could stay on the diet if needed, because I do feel much better. I will ask if I have any questions and talk to my doctor.
We will see what the new year brings, might be a new family member!
I am glad to have you all, it is making ibs and other life situations easier.

#34823 - 01/01/04 07:18 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Remember, this IBS diet is based on the FDA food guide (pyramid) - you're still getting all your nutrients, just sometimes from alternate sources. We are still on a "normal" diet - it just has a few modifications.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#34834 - 01/01/04 09:37 PM
Shireen

Reged: 12/17/03

kctrun
Hi! I don't know about being preg. while on the IBS diet, but I can tell you that I wondered if I had IBS before I got preg. with my son. I was totally IBS symptom free while I was preg. and have heard of a lot of people that have been. Of course it is not true for everyone, but pregnancy and hormones are an amazing thing. I have 2 friends that had IBS remission while they were pregnant. My son is now 3 and I was just diag. with IBS Dec.2003 after 12 years of dealing with it and having no clue or where to go. All tests always coming back neg. having an unneccessary(SP) Hysterectomy when my son was 3 mo old. It has been a hard 12 yrs. I stumbled on Heather's book a few days before x-mas and have been following her diet since. I'm sure it will take awhile to see a diff. I do feel a little better from avoiding red meat and dairy. It is a huge lifestyle chage, but hope it will be worth it!
i would talk to you OB/GYN and see if he/she agrees to give it a try. Children are wonderful! Hope you don't miss that chance! Feel free to e-mail me with any questions or if you need to talk.
jamesshireen@networld.com
Take Care!
Shireen

#34852 - 01/02/04 06:34 AM
kctrun

Thanks Shireen. I am blessed already with a six year old daughter(soon to be 7). My hubby was away for 18 months
(a Marine) after she was born, then I went back to work and school. I did not start to think about a second til last year when the ibs really took hold of my life.
Thanks to everyone for all the advise, keep it coming.
The only thing that I am still wondering about is the daily use of Probotics, I will bring this up to my doc but does anyone have info. on that.
thanks again!! Kind of feel that I have joined a new family being on this board.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 872

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review