All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Soy Problems
      #345408 - 05/02/09 08:09 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Does anyone not tolerate Soy Milk? I use it in my protein shake but it seems that after I drink it I feel a little nasues and like it weighs heavy on my stomach.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Problems new
      #345409 - 05/02/09 08:46 PM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

nope i can't tolerate soy at all.....alot of ppl can't. i was actually super shocked to see it on the "go-list". even people without ibs have a really tough time with it. (my husband who has a stomach of steel lol one time had vegan cheesecake made with tofu and he was stuck on the toilet for the following 2 days!

#345410 - 05/02/09 09:47 PM
mrae

What do you use instead of soy for milk? I don't drink it on a regular basis but I love my shakes with peanut butter and bananas. Any suggestions on what I could use.

#345411 - 05/03/09 06:27 AM
Rebecca1013

IMO you are using a DOUBLE WHAMMY there lol not only is soy a high canidate for digestive sensitivity, but so is paenut butter....if you are sure that peanut butter does not cause you any digestive distress then by all means continue to use it ( i recommend using natural pb though if you are not currently ), if you are unsure I would recommend switching to almond butter. I also use almond milk. you store should have it located in the health food or organic section....it is lower calorie than soy or rice milk (rice milk you could also use.) Almond milk comes in choco, vanilla, or plain and I usually get it unsweetened. As for consistancy....soy milk is creamier, but i wouldn't be too concerned, especially if you are throwing a banana in there...that'll thicken it up

#345416 - 05/03/09 08:25 AM
mrae

Almond butter what exactly is that? I don't mind trying anything if it will work. I will have to see if its the peanut butter or soy or both. Thanks so much I will try the almond milk to.

#345418 - 05/03/09 08:51 AM
Rebecca1013

almond butter is the same idea as peanut butter lol except it is almond butter...it's super yummy too! just be careful about how much you use. i stick to 2teaspoons 2x's a day. i do ok with that you may be different though. ( you know how that goes, unfortunately with ibs what's good for the goose is not always what is good for the gander ). I didnt look where you were from, but i am on the east coast (pa about 45min outside of philly) GIANT grocery stores carry a store brand of organic almond butter which is superb. it's a little pricey but it's worth it.

#345431 - 05/03/09 11:53 AM
mrae

I live in California all our health stores are about 30minutes away cause I live in a small town. Not to bad. So I will look for the almond butter when I go that way next week. Thanks

#345438 - 05/03/09 01:03 PM
Atrox

Reged: 03/04/08
Loc: Florida

Soy milk is really bad for me, although I tolerate tofu pretty well. I fell in love with almond milk the first time I tried it- tastes great- fewer calories and fat than soy milk as well. I also use it instead of soy milk for cooking.

--------------------
--------------------
IBS-D with stress related bouts of C, 10+? years.

exactly new
      #345471 - 05/03/09 06:58 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It feels heavy. I can tolerate it in smoothies and in hot cereal but not as a drink or in cereal. I use rice milk for cereal and for drinking. I am fine with soy milk smoothies as that is pretty light compared to a usual breakfast.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Mrae new
      #345545 - 05/04/09 07:14 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Soy milk tastes like...well, you know. Try rice milk. I don't do much soy in general, except sometimes I use a small amount of tofu, but not much.

soy vs rice milk - my comparison new
      #345673 - 05/06/09 11:33 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

In a head to head competition soy milk vs rice milk here are the facts:
soy milk is heavier and gassier, but it adds better body to recipes calling for cream etc and it has a good amount of protein.
rice milk is lighter and easier to chug, and it doesn't hit the stomach so heavily, but rice milk has more sugar/calories from sugar and no protein at all.
almond milk surprisingly has no protein and a good amount of calories, a very almond taste and the same heaviness of soy milk IMO.
So for me, soy milk goes into recipes, oatmeal and smoothies; and rice milk goes on cereal and in a glass; and almond milk stays at the store.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Good comparison! That helps me out alot - nt new
      #345675 - 05/06/09 11:35 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3062 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3099

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review