All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
When do I know I'm stabilized on SF?
      #345097 - 04/27/09 07:43 AM
Scott G

Reged: 03/28/09
Loc: Boston, MA

I have IBS-C and am up to 3 tbs and 1 tsp of Heather's SF. It's had positive effects, but I don't know if I've stabilized or not. What are the signs of stabilizing? I still have pain when I eat most foods, even the "safe" ones. How do I know whether to stop at this dosage or keep increasing up to 5 tbs? It's kind of a pain to have to take the fiber at so many different times of the day, so if I can stop at a lesser dosage that would be better. Any chance Heather's fiber will be made into tablets one day? I'm also on amitiza, so that's helped my constipation. Thanks for your advice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When do I know I'm stabilized on SF? new
      #345106 - 04/27/09 09:31 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Hi, Scott! I have, pretty much, stopped at 3T/day. Sometimes I add more if I don't feel well. Have you been strictly eating safe foods? Sometimes it takes a while (like two weeks) for C to become stable. Sometimes we are never actually "stable," but feeling better is the key. If foods are still giving you distress, keep with the safe foods and nothing but safe foods for a little longer and then try to add some IF back to your diet. What type of things are you eating that is giving you pain?

It does seem sometimes like you can't eat anything, I know, but keep trying, and eventually you will start feeling better.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#345115 - 04/27/09 11:41 AM
Scott G

Hi Kappy,

I think I've been eating strictly safe foods. But I'm still trying to find out what's safe and what isn't. If I was just eating safe foods, it would be egg whites, chicken, salmon, white rice, carrots, and maybe a few other things. I can't really eat any IF as it is. And recently, any time I sit down I have pain. It's really been causing me distress. And I don't know if adding more SF will help, perhaps, I should look to hypnosis.

Why did you stop at 3 tbs? How did you know that was enough?

#345117 - 04/27/09 11:45 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Scott,

I am so sorry you are still having trouble. Just remember that it may take awhile for constipation folks to stabalize. It's truly important to follow the diet, take the acacia correctly, and continue to find ways to help with stress levels.

Stabalizing means that you no longer have symptoms of IBS. That means no more constipation or diarrhea and no more gas/bloating or pain/spasms/cramps. If you are still dealing with constipation, keep on increasing the acacia every 4 days by 1/2 teaspoon. Everyone resolves at different levels.

Here's a link to help you understand more about gas and bloating. http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/gas.asp. Probiotics may also help you through this. Just make sure you purchase a probiotic with 3 or more strains that are in the billions of colonizing units. Also make sure the probiotic has NO Inulin or FOS as these cause gas and bloating.

If you believe the gas and bloating is coming from the acacia, just decrease your dose by 1 teaspoon until the additional gas/bloating decreases and then increase in smaller amounts (1/4 teaspoon every 4-5 days).

I hope this helps!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#345118 - 04/27/09 11:50 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Scott,

I wanted to add one more thing. Make sure you mention the pain when you sit down to your doctor. You may have something other than IBS going on. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

About eating only safe foods...the link to the diet cheat sheet is posted by Heather in the beginning of this board. I would print that up and make sure you have a good understanding of it. Also, you should not be completely avoiding insoluble fiber for more than 3-4 days at a time. Eating only soluble fiber foods help to soothe and relax the gut, but Insoluble fiber is necessary for good health.

When you eat insoluble fiber, make sure it's cooked, pureed, skinned, blended well, etc. This will help to break down the cell walls of the IF. Make sure the only thing you are eating on an empty stomach is soluble fiber and when you eating IF you always eat SF first! This is key. Also eat SF in larger portions than IF and eat slowly.

Best,
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#345120 - 04/27/09 12:02 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Well, I figured out that I only need 3T to go and feel normal, for the most part. But, sometimes I do increase my intake when I'm not feeling well. (and 5T is hard to get down everyday, and it becomes expensive.)
It should help you to add some more SF to your diet, for now. You can lower it in increments once you have your IBS under control.

You might want to drop the Salmon, at least for a little while. Salmon is a fatty fish. White fish usually has less fat. I love Salmon, too, but recently figured out that is why I've been in so much distress lately.

Have you tried plain rice/corn chex? They are a good snack! Also Bananas, sweet potatoes, and rice cakes are good as well. I put a little seasoned salt on my lightly salted rice cakes (just a touch) to give it more flavor! It really helps . I also like cinnamon toast. If you put 1t of sugar and some fresh cinnamon on a piece of bread and toast it in the oven for a few minutes, it makes a great sweet snack! You won't even need the butter! Melba toasts are good too, and If you are really desperate, low fat saltines are good too. Try some chicken broth and some saltines for a meal. It's quick, easy, and can fill you up pretty well.

Like Erin said, don't go too long with out any IF; you might be able to get some from oatmeal or cooked fruits and veggies.

I hope that helps! I'm so sorry you still don't feel well!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#345232 - 04/29/09 04:22 AM
Scott G

Thanks Erin!

I actually never have gas or bloating, and the Amitiza has really helped my constipation. The pain is the biggest thing. I try to get a good amount of IF and think that I am. I usually eat some strawberries in the morning (in addition to cereal and rice milk), cooked carrots for lunch with a chicken sandwich on English Muffin, and squash for dinner (with chicken and white rice).

I'm going to keep increasing my dosage and will probably stop around 4 tbs or 5 tbs.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1262 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2745

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review