All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Meat/seafood/tofu/poultry triggers !
      #344823 - 04/22/09 06:30 AM
Janice2523

Reged: 04/03/09

After many years of IBS I have discovered through experimentation over the last 3 weeks that whenever I eat any type of meat/protein - beef, pork, poultry, seafood,tofu or eggs my system turns to cement and my IBS bloating and pain skyrockets. If I stop the meat and concentrate on nut butters, beans and brown rice I do great. I also do a lot of protein bars that have soy protein isolate and they are no problem. Also, it seems that wheat doesn't bother me but wheat BRAN is a major trigger - absolute bloating !

I did have an allergy test done and I am not allergic or sensitive to any of the proteins I mentioned but they are proven triggers for me.

Can anyone relate ? Can I follow eating like this and still stay healthy?
Thanks, Janice

43 years old - IBS C with bloating since I was a child !

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Meat/seafood/tofu/poultry triggers ! new
      #344824 - 04/22/09 06:39 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Any kind of meat stops my digestive system as well. I don't know if it is the small amount of fats or what. Fish is not a problem

You should still be able to stay healthy. As long as you get your fruits and veggies and some calcium and protein from some source (e.g. your soy isolate protein bars). Vegetarians do fine with out meat. I'm sure they get protein from other sources, but it's not meat.

If you are good with the nut butters and things like that, stick with those. They are good sources of protein as well. Also, www.gotbody.com has a soy protein shake with no artificial sweeteners/flavors. You can try that; I have had good luck with it. I can't remember what it is called, but you can find it under the soy products.

How about fish? Can you eat fish? I love fish. It is a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. White fish is less fatty than like salmon or tuna, but I eat salmon and tuna with no problem.

When you eat your proteins you mentioned, are you having a soluble fiber buffer before eating it? The SFS really helps to not cause a major gut reaction from the other foods.

Kappy

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344826 - 04/22/09 07:24 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Of course you can. I do it all the time. Nut butters are great, beans are great, and brown rice is great. Some people may be bothered by them, but if you are not, then why not eat them.

If someone tells you to eat differently than you are, and you become ill from that diet, are you any healthier for it? I think not. You have to do what works for you and your digestive system.

HTH

#344829 - 04/22/09 08:08 AM
Janice2523

Reged: 04/03/09

Thank you both so much ! I love the feedback.

Fish: Actually that was truly the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back ! I had salmon on Sunday and was sooooo miserable (can't state that enough !) I went through my last 3 months of food journals and saw a major connection.

As a total side note - years ago I read about the blood type diet and thought it was crazy. I am a Type A and we seem to do best on a vegetarian diet. Yay for me - if it helps my IBS I would be a happy woman !

Janice

#344832 - 04/22/09 09:10 AM
Kappy

Oh, you poor thing! Fish is my life!!! If I didn't eat fish, I would be a vegetarian. I eat chicken every-once-in-a-while but only when the Fiance wants it badly! I usually cook him a good meal, and I eat the veggies and sides or the usual oatmeal.

--------------------

#344833 - 04/22/09 09:13 AM
osbo54

Hey Kappy, you seductress (inside joke), get back to work, now!!!!!

#344836 - 04/22/09 10:02 AM
Kappy

You are so funny! I'm on lunch now, and HUNGRY!!!!! I like to goof off some at work, what's the point if you can't have a little fun

--------------------

#344840 - 04/22/09 12:00 PM
osbo54

I totally agree!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6841 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1786

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review