All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Activa
      #344765 - 04/20/09 07:45 PM
Scott G

Reged: 03/28/09
Loc: Boston, MA

Is there any probiotic yogurt like Activa that is dairy free? I am IBS-C and can trust the Activa to cause BMs, but it's not worth the ab discomfort. I don't get cramping or pain, just kind of a discomfort and grumbling. Is this normal? Anyway, hopefully there is another yogurt out there packed with probiotics. The Align didn't work for me, so I'm hesitant to try another brand in pill form.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Activa new
      #344798 - 04/21/09 03:14 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I believe the probiotic in Activa - Bifidobacterium lactis also known as B. regularis) grows best in milk as a substrate. I don't recall seeing this probiotic in a non-dairy media. There are other probiotics that grow on a non-dairy media such as soy milk but to the best of my knowledge they have not been clinically tested on IBSers.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Activa new
      #344809 - 04/21/09 06:05 PM
kashi

Reged: 02/27/08
Loc: Michigan

I eat a soy yogurt that has live cultures in it. I believe that is good for the gut too. Not sure of the exact kind or brand name. I can get it an my regular grocery store. Some have it by the regular yogurt, but mine has a case w/ soy sour cream, soy milk, soy cheese, etc. I don't really love the taste to be honest, but if I add some honey or some fresh fruit to it, it makes it taste alot better.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 976 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review