All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Amitiza
      #344758 - 04/20/09 06:18 PM
Scott G

Reged: 03/28/09
Loc: Boston, MA

On my 2nd doctor's visit since being diagnosed with IBS, she prescribed Amitiza. I have become more constipated and bloated this last week or so, and I think it's due to the Align (which I have stopped taking). I tried the Miralax for a few days and produced some good BMs. The doctor said the Amitiza may help relieve constipation and reduce my ab pain and cramping.

Has anyone had success with the drug? My doctor said if it works that she won't put me on a tricyclic. Is it advised not to take a tricyclic and Amitiza together?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Amitiza new
      #344773 - 04/21/09 06:33 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Hi Scott! I use Amitiza twice a day with very good results along with the Miralax and a low dose antidepressant (Elavil/amitryptaline). The Amitiza is great, it keeps me very regular unless I just gorge myself with food. On an everyday basis, it is my drug of choice. HOWEVER, don't expect it to take care of the pain, bloating, nausea, flatulence. It won't! You will still need to watch your diet for these other symptoms. The Amitiza is just for the bowel movements! The only side effect I got from it was a little shortness of breath every-once-in-a-while, but nothing serious or anything to be scared of!

I hope that helps!
Kappy

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344775 - 04/21/09 07:56 AM
Scott G

Thanks, Kappy! The Amitiza has already started working on my constipation. My doc said it could also help my pain, cramping, and bloating. But you've found that that's not the case?

If I may ask, why do you take the Miralax if you already take Amitiza? And what is the low-dose antidepressant for?

#344776 - 04/21/09 08:31 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Ok, well it may help the pain a bit, but I can't tell if it does or not.

I take the Miralax because when my DR put me on the Amitiza, she said to keep taking the Miralax, and in a few months, I am going to try to get off one or the other, slowly! When I started going to a GI for all my issues, he said to keep doing what I'm doing if it's working. If I get pregnant, I'll have to get off the Amitiza, but the Miralax should be ok. It'll already be there working for me!

The low dose antidepressant is for the PAIN!! My GI said that over a six week period, the Elavil will start to eliminate the pain. If after six weeks it doesn't help (or I'm not where I think I need to be), I'm aloud to take 2 at night instead of 1 (kind of like being my own doctor), but one makes it very hard to wake up in the morning. So I don't know if I want to try two just yet.

I still get very bloated, nauseous, and still have a little pain, but the pain is not nearly as bad as it used to be. The bloating and nausea and flatulence can be controlled with diet. It's just when I go overboard that I have a bad spell.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344788 - 04/21/09 01:10 PM
Scott G

Do you also take acacia fiber? I've been doing that and am up to 3 tbs a day. But I don't know when to stop increasing my dosage. How do I know what stabilization feels like if I've never experienced it?

#358287 - 05/01/10 09:59 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

1) Scott...do you go to BIDMC?

2) Kappy...if Amitiza helps with C, then why wouldn't it help with bloating? As I see it...bloating and distension (pregnant belly) is caused by having C, hence empty the bowels/gut...and the bloating is gone.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 384 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3357

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review