Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Post-Infectious IBS
      #344518 - 04/15/09 06:59 AM
Scott G

Reged: 03/28/09
Loc: Boston, MA

Hi,

I saw my GI doctor for our 2nd appointment after she first diagnosed me with IBS. She said that she believes I have post-infectious IBS (I had a bad bacterial gut infection last September in South Africa) and that it will go away within a few years. Does anybody here have post-infectious IBS and has seen it go away?

Naturally, I've been minimizing the pain through dieting, exercise, and soluble fiber supplement. She also recommended that I think about going on tricyclics because these will dull the nerve endings and eventually lead to remission.

I think she's a knowledgeable doctor and trust what she's saying. But I wanted to run it by you all, since you're probably just as if not more knowledgeable about IBS than most doctors.

I forgot to mention, I have IBS-C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Post-Infectious IBS new
      #344525 - 04/15/09 08:31 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You may find the first reference below about post-infectious IBS of interest. Essentially it says post-infective IBS (PI-IBS)develops in 3–30% of individuals with bacterial gastroenteritis. About 65% of individuals with PI-IBS recover within 3-5 years.

Tricyclic antidepressants in low doses appear effective for irritable bowel syndrome and for a variety of other painful conditions, including migraine, neuropathic pain, pain due to cancer, etc. The underlying mechanism of the benefit is unknown, but it could be due to a reduction in the sensitivity of peripheral nerves or to alterations in the brain. The second reference below has some discussion about the use of low dose antidepressants for controlling IBS pain in section 7.5.3 (page 1786).

Reference
Spiller, R Post Infectious Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders

Spiller, R., Q. Aziz, F. Creed, et.al, 2007: Guidelines on the irritable bowel syndrome: mechanisms and practical management. Gut, 56, 1770-1798.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#344529 - 04/15/09 09:45 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Although mine was never officially designated as such, I was always convinced that mine is post-infectious since I never had any symptoms until after a bad stomach bug my senior year in high school (this was over 25 years ago). For years, before I even knew about the post-infectious theory, I always joked that my IBS was the "stomach bug that never went away".

I suspect that since yours has been linked to a specific infection, you'll have better luck than I at clearing it up. It may take time, but keep doing what you're doing. It sounds like you're on the right track.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#344530 - 04/15/09 10:02 AM
hilda05

Reged: 08/04/08

This is great news! I was diagnosed with IBS after a really bad stomach flu 1.5 years ago. I was/am really angry/frustrated/etc that this is something I have to deal with for the rest of my life after simply getting the flu...but now I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that I'm in the lucky 65%!

For Vettech new
      #344540 - 04/15/09 12:58 PM
Scott G

So you still have IBS 25 years after the virus?

#344541 - 04/15/09 01:00 PM
Scott G

Same here! I desperately want to drink coffee again. I read, though, that to be in that 65% it helps to be free of mental illness or anxieties. But just knowing that it could get away has made me more positive and reduced my psychic distress.

#344570 - 04/16/09 06:57 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think that sounds reasonable. I would say your goal should be to make your gut as calm and happy as possible til it gets over its trauma. Hey, you could call it post-traumatic gut syndrome. PGS.

It reminds me of something similar that my MIL had 2 years ago. She had surgery near her bowels and her bowels didn't like the internal touching and after the surgery they shut down temporarily. For a couple weeks she couldn't digest and her food just came up. She said she finally understood my IBS better. So the similarity I see is that the gut is so sensitive it can take a while to function normally after a trauma.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: For Vettech new
      #344590 - 04/16/09 09:07 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Oh yeah! I've had a lot of ups and downs, remissions and flares, but it's always lurking.

But I may be predisposed to it. My mother had IBS, and anecdotal evidence suggests that other members of her family did as well. That bug may have just been the trigger that set it all in motion for me.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Edited by vettech (04/16/09 09:09 AM)

#368969 - 01/07/13 03:22 PM
Glen1308

Reged: 01/07/13

Hi Scott was wandering how your post infection ibs was getting on as I have the same symptoms as you from infection and would helpful if you have had relief.

Glen

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1675 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review