Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gross Question FYI
      #344406 - 04/12/09 08:58 PM
robbiej

Reged: 02/28/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hello Everyone,

Long time IBS-D'er ( 25+yrs.) I read a lot of the posts, but don't often post myself. OK here is my question:

After an attack and many, many trips to the toilet, I often know I am at the "end" of my misery when I have this (AND THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GROSS....) liquid/jelly like substance that just drips out of me. I often have to wear a maxi pad because I can not control it (not that I can control my D either), but unlike the D, it don't even feel it coming out....it just drips out. Sometimes, there is/are cramps but usually, it's just drips. It is also whatever color the D was OR it can be clear/orange/brown. ( NO BLOOD)

When this is happening I know I am "done." However, this weekend I REALLY messed up and ate some very No-No food at my DH's birthday dinner Friday and have had this awful YUCK all weekend. My fault...Not complaining

OK. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Thanks!
Robin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gross Question FYI new
      #344408 - 04/13/09 05:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The liquid/jelly is called mucus which is a clear, white, or yellow substance with the consistency of jelly which is produced by the mucous membrane of the large intestine. It protects the inner lining of the bowel and helps ease the passage of stool. It is not uncommon for IBSers pass mucus in the stool.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#344437 - 04/13/09 07:44 PM
robbiej

Reged: 02/28/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Sly-
Why do you think it only happens at the end of the attack? I never see it during the beginning or during the very rare times I have a regular BM. My thought was that it was the only thing left in my intestines at that point and the cramps/contractions of my system just push it out. Sound about right?

Robin

#344448 - 04/14/09 07:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

More mucus is produced during an attach probably as a result of irritation to the colon. It is always present but in smaller amounts even in a normal stool.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1257 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1014

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review