All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
probiotics
      #344067 - 04/05/09 05:32 PM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

I read recently that different probiotics are better/worse for different problems. Like for IBS, the "normal" probiotic like acidopholis (sp?) would make diarrhea worse...whereas another could be beneficial-
Has anyone heard of this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: probiotics new
      #344106 - 04/06/09 04:44 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

IMO, I think it's the "fillers" in the probiotics, you have to really careful about what is in the ingredients. Where as someone may tolerate, whey, lactose, dairy, gluten, etc. as a filler, some may not. I finally found one that works great and have been using it almost a year. Maybe over use may do some GI upsetting?

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#344107 - 04/06/09 04:52 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

What probiotic do you use?

#344130 - 04/07/09 05:48 AM
LtDanFan

If you were posting the question to me, I use Kyo-Dophilus, as I said, I spent an hour in the store reading labels until I found this one. I feel is has helped wonderes considering I used to have an attack every day. I do not just rely on this, but especially when I have a lot of D, or my stress levels are at a high. It has L.acideophilus, B.bifidum, B.longum. 1.5 Billion live cells per capsule. At Rite Aid they are very expensive, like 20 bucks for 90,maybe it's been so long since I bought them from there. I know get them on line at a fraction of Rite Aid's cost. They are a very expensive drug store. If you want to know where I get them, just send me a message. Thanks

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

#344159 - 04/07/09 08:15 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Yes I am looking for a good probiotic and since you have IBS-D maybe these would help me to. Its worth a shot to see. Just let me know where you get them so I can order me some. Thanks so much for your help.
-------------------------------------
IBS-D

#344164 - 04/07/09 08:38 AM
steph312

Reged: 08/05/07
Loc: Florida

I also take the probiotics because of a past history of c-diff which left me now with IBS-D. I have found some of the probiotics upset my stomach more than others. I am now looking for another brand. The last one I was taking did not seem to agree with me, also was getting nauseated (not sure if it was that type of probiotic or not) but that does make sense now with the fillers and I may go to rite aid and look for that type too. Thanks for the info.

Re: LtDanFan new
      #344167 - 04/07/09 08:53 AM
steph312

Reged: 08/05/07
Loc: Florida

Could you please email me the information where you get the probiotics (Kyo-Dophilus) I would like to look into that one, I know you said Rite Aid, but you also get them at a discount price online. Thanks

Stephanie
IBS-D

#344168 - 04/07/09 09:23 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Very few probiotics have been shown to be clinically effective for managing IBS. Align has been shown to be particularly effective. VSL#3 and digestive advantage have been be some what effective. And recently the probiotic Bifidobacterium lactis in Danone Activa yogurt has been clinically shown to be effective particularly for IBS-C.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: probiotics mrae new
      #344171 - 04/07/09 10:20 AM
LtDanFan

I tried sending a private message and it wouldn't let me, it said it was disabled. Can you give me your e-mail? Thanks I'm not sure why it says it's disabled? Thanks

--------------------

Re: LtDanFan - Steph312 new
      #344172 - 04/07/09 10:22 AM
LtDanFan

I tried sending a private message and it said it's disabled, so I don't know if that's a board requirement or I don't have something set correctly. Can you give me your e-mail for the info on the probiotic? Thanks

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5776 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4872

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review