All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Rate that food! new
      #344045 - 04/04/09 03:34 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

That makes me a tad nervous, Minnie, as there are only a few things that have similar long term symptoms to IBS and all of them seem worse than IBS. I will definitely ask my doctor however. Though I am worlds better then during the first 2-3 weeks of this, I'm still not "normal" feeling from the perspective of how things used to be (e.g. eat whatever and drink whatever I want, and not worry about it, no noise/tightness/discomfort in my abdominal region).

EDIT/UPDATE: This should have been in response to a post further up the thread. Instead I responded to the Clif Bar subtopic. Whoops!

Edited by MikeCA1870 (04/04/09 03:39 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#344046 - 04/04/09 03:49 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Your symptoms sound a lot like my symptoms -- I think you belong to the IBS-D crowd

I too cannot tolerate soy. I know exactly what you mean about the shakes, dizziness, nausea, etc with IBS-D. While I still have some pain the shakes, dizziness, etc are nearly all gone - most of the time. Two things helped control the symptoms.

First, I dramatically decreased the amount of insoluble fiber in my diet. Salad bars are no longer the rule. In particular I removed all insoluble fiber from whole grains & flours and raw vegetables. I began to peel and boil vegetables until they were soft. In addition I increased my soluble fiber intake to the point where I was sure that every meal/snack contained more soluble than insoluble fiber. This change alone made a big difference.

The second major change came when I removed artificial sweeteners particularly sugar alcohols such as sorbitol and mannitol and I significantly reduced consumption of foods, sauces and condiments containing high fructose corn syrup, honey and excess fructose fruits (apple, pear, grape, mango, etc) and their juices.

It will help if you establish a base diet to which you can retreat when you experiment and/or your symptoms flare-up. Heather's eating for IBS diet with excess fructose foods removed is my base diet.

When they do a colonoscopy they can visually examine for things like inflammation, ulcers, polyps, constrictions, etc that may produce IBS like symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#344068 - 04/05/09 05:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Getting symptoms suddenly in one's life, and waking up in the night with shakes, dizziness and nausea that was not preceded by D, seems suspicious to me. Getting the chills and sweats and weakness after and during D is normal.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I see new
      #344069 - 04/05/09 05:38 PM
Little Minnie

Don't be too scared. I am not suspicious of Crohns or something like that, but more um for lack of better word, psychosymatic issues, which IBS can include but being your symptoms were not long term, I always worry. I don't want to scare you, it is just a feeling. I guess because I have had IBS for so long and many in my family do, it seems odd when people get it suddenly. Although there are quite a few that evidently 'get' IBS after a trauma or GI issue. I guess IBS is a pretty mysterious thing to begin with and I think it is a vague and all encompassing catchall disease.
I hope you in fact that what you do have is just temporary and not IBS. Believe me, having IBS is not really the lesser of evils, excepting colon cancer I suppose.

Sorry I am not very understandable this evening.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: I see new
      #344071 - 04/05/09 06:34 PM
MikeCA1870

Yeah, don't worry about offending, I have had similar thoughts myself because of the strange side effects and the fact that it began during a period of great stress. Still, it has been five weeks now and though things are better I still don't feel normal digestively, especially when/right after I eat. Lot of rumbling, slight pain, more frequent bowel movements than usual, and that's with "safe" foods with a few IF's thrown in - no triggers. If it was psychosomatic wouldn't it make sense for the symptoms to go away once the stress clears? I have been very relaxed for about three weeks now, yet symptoms, though not incredibly bad like they were the first week or two, persist. I guess what I'm trying to say is before five weeks ago I didn't even know my stomach was there. I had occasional upsets like anyone, but for the most part no noise, no feeling, no pain, no problem, and that's with a horrible diet predicated on whey protein bars. Now there is ALWAYS something, even if it isn't debilitating or severe. Of course I would be thrilled if it was temporary and it wasn't IBS, but it hasn't gone away yet, my doctor has offered nothing but Align (which may be working, for all I know), and there is only so much online knowledge I can acquire. So the idea that I am mentally creating my symptoms, though I am in no way disputing the possibility of it, leaves me frustrated as there doesn't seem to be a way to mentally de-create them.

The only way to really know is to eat a bacon cheeseburger and see what happens? I don't have enough free time to deal with the fallout of that should it pose a problem.

To Syl new
      #344081 - 04/06/09 09:08 AM
MikeCA1870

Syl, (and anyone else who wants to weigh in)

So yesterday since it was the weekend I tried a few things, especially since this past week my main symptom was slight pain and discomfort, so I felt a bit more free. Anyway, last night all through this morning I felt nauseous (still do), had the shakes as I was trying to go to bed, and woke up like five times last night.

Anyway, my digressions from the diet really weren't, but they were digressions from my established safe foods. I began feeling ill at night, so my last three meals were:
1) an SF supplement (5 grams) with a flour tortilla, half a banana, and a tablespoon of peanut butter at about 6:00PM. Now people have mentioned that PB and banana are hard for some people, but I have had this exact thing a couple times in the past with no discernible problems.
2) About five sugar cookies (basically one serving - 4g fat, 22 carb, 1 fiber, 3 sugars, 2 protein)at 7-8PM which have nothing artificial, no HFCS, no dairy, basically just wheat flower and evaporated cane juice)
3) About two hours before I went to bed (10:00PM) I had a few pieces of white meat chicken (Safeway Eating Right oven roasted chicken breast) with next to no fat, 15g protein, no carbs, and nothing unnatural - they sell it in the lunchmeat section but it's whole pieces of pre-cooked chicken. I had no SF with this snack.
I immediately felt a little gross after eating the cookies, even though it was such a small amount, but it went away and I didn't feel it again until I was trying to go to bed. Waking up this morning the feeling was stronger, and has persisted. I'm leaning toward the cookies, but wanted your opinion.

I didn't want to do a colonoscopy, but now I'm thinking it may be best.

#344098 - 04/06/09 01:53 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I completely agree with Little Minnie. I would get the colonoscopy, if it's like mine have all been, the prep is the worst thing....

I'm not sure on any of the foods you listed, as I have tried Lunabars and didn't like any of them. I do not drink any type of juice, but love apple juice, I do eat sugar cookies, that are low fat and have no dairy/lactose and high fructose corn syrup. I am afraid to try sushi, the sound of raw fish just kind of makes me nauseous. But I do eat salmon and white tuna. Can't do V8 too much insoluble fiber. Despite testing, watching what I eat and following the IBS food diet, I have never been stable for more then 6 or 7 weeks. It's very frustrating and I really believe a lot of it is due to my nerves, because when I only eat rice when I'm having an attack and I still get diarrhea, I just don't get it.....

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Re: To Syl new
      #344100 - 04/06/09 02:18 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is probably wise to have a colonoscopy and an endoscopy if you GI doc suggested it.

I believe in one of your postings you said to take Metamucil for a fiber supplement. Metamucil powder contains 3 grams of dietary fiber per teaspoon of which 2 grams is soluble fiber and 1 gram insoluble fiber. You might switch to a fiber supplement like Heather's Tummy fiber (acacia) or Benefiber which is 100% soluble fiber. You probably want to stay away from soluble fiber supplements containing inulin or FOS.

I find that my tolerance for certain kinds of insoluble fiber even in small amounts is quite low. If I over step my limit I get chills, nausea, cramps and pain. I know it is bad when it awakens me in the night. Some times it feels like an irritant is rubbing an inflamed region of my gut causing spasms and pain.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

sugar cookies new
      #344110 - 04/06/09 04:59 PM
Little Minnie

I don't think many sugar cookies have less than 30% fat and many have whole eggs and some have dairy. Country Choice sugar cookies may work but do contain some yolks. The best sugar cookies (no longer available at my store) are Midel vanilla snaps. I believe they were safe but borderline with the fat as all will be. If you eat them with something else to balance the extra fat they are fine. I would avoid looking for mainstream sugar cookies and stick to the natural foods section.
If you can do simple baking there is an Icebox cookie recipe I posted long ago on the recipe board. They are borderline fat due to margarine but otherwise safe and super yummy.

--------------------

cookie recipe new
      #344114 - 04/06/09 05:11 PM
Little Minnie

*Icebox Cookies*

Plain:
1c. flour
1/4t. baking soda
1/8t. salt
4T. stick margarine, softened
2/3c. sugar
1t. vanilla extract
1 large egg white

Combine dry ingredients in bowl, set aside. In large mixing bowl beat margarine until light and fluffy, gradually add sugar, mix well. Add vanilla and egg white, beat well. Add flour mixture, beat carefully. Turn dough out onto wax paper, shape into 6 inch log. Freeze at least 3 hours. Preheat oven to 350º. Cut log into very thin slices (24) with a very sharp knife, pastry scraper or dental floss. Bake for 10 minutes on sheets with cooking spray. For soft cookies about 9 minutes, for crispy cookies about 11 minutes. Cool on racks. Dough can be left in freezer and slices can be sneaked off raw, as desired. Dough can also be stored in freezer for about a month and baked whenever.

Peanut Butter:
1c. flour
1/4t. baking soda
1/8t. salt
3T. margarine
2T. chunky P.B.
1/2c. packed brown sugar
1/4c. sugar
1t. vanilla
1 egg white

Chocolate:
3/4c. flour
1/4c. cocoa
the rest the same as plain

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9275

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review