Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Align or Acacia?
      #344008 - 04/03/09 11:56 AM
Scott G

Reged: 03/28/09
Loc: Boston, MA

Hi,

I've been on Align for almost two weeks and Acacia for about a week. I've really seen an improvement in my symptoms, and I think it's largely due to the Acacia. But how do I know if it's that or the Align? I guess I can take both of these supplements for the rest of my life, but I'm less inclined to take the Align forever because of its expense. All of these supplements (Acacia, Align, etc.) can start to build up in price.

What do you suggest? Is the Align worth taking indefinitely? How do I know if it's working or if it's the Acacia?

And, I drink Peppermint tea all the time and it's not particularly effective at stomping my ab pain and spasms. Will the Peppermint capsules be any more effective? I haven't bought them yet, but am considering it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Align or Acacia? new
      #344019 - 04/03/09 06:23 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi Scott,

I take Align, but I do not take the Acacia. I agree, the Align is expensive. It is a shame to take it, if you really don't need it, or if it is not helping you. However, it is recommended to take some kind of probiotic.

I guess the only way you will know which is helping you, is to take them one at a time for a period of time. Why don't you stay with the Acacia at first, if that is more affordable for you. The Acacia may be all that you need. If it doesn't do the trick, then maybe you could add the Align, and see if you feel better.

It really is hard to say, unless you take them one at a time.

Since I don't have abd pain or spasms with my IBS, I really cannot speak to the Peppermint caps. But, from what I have read on this board, they are great.

HTH
Lynn

#344035 - 04/04/09 09:31 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I believe this: keep taking acacia forever and stop Align after awhile since you will have built up the good flora. With acacia and a good diet and no antibiotics the good flora will remain without a probiotic (or switch to Silk yogurt for maintenance.)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#344036 - 04/04/09 10:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There are a couple of ways of answering your question.

It is possible to get all of the soluble fiber you need from your diet without taking a soluble fiber supplement. I don't take any soluble fiber supplements and find I can get all of the soluble fiber I need from my diet. However, Heather's acacia is an inexpensive soluble fiber supplement compared with some other brands.

Unfortunately, you have to keep taking a probiotic in order to keep the new flora maintained. So if you quit taking Align you quickly lose the benefits of the probiotic. Align is expensive primarily because it has been tested in large IBS clinical trials. There are alternative Bifidobacterium infantis sources such as Natren Life Start and a NSI product. Like Align both of these contain dairy products and the variety of the Bifidobacterium infantis is different which likely doesn't matter. On the other hand, you could use 2 or 3 Align capsules as a starter to make homemade milk or soy yogurt. It should grow well on milk but I am not sure how well it will grow on soy milk.

Enteric coated peppermint capsules taken regularly on an empty stomach as a prophylactic for IBS pain is much better than peppermint tea. The capsule releases the peppermint in the colon and where it acts as an antispasmodic. The effectiveness of enteric coated peppermint capsules is well researched and it has been shown to be more effective than many expensive pharmaceuticals.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#344054 - 04/05/09 08:18 AM
Syl

You have to keep taking Align in order to keep the Bifidobacterium infantis bacteria in the gut flora at an optimum and therapeutic level. If you don't then the bacteria will die off and the therapeutic effects of the Bifidobacterium infantis will decline. Unfortunately Silk yogurt does not contain probiotics that have been clinically tested on IBS.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#344062 - 04/05/09 04:11 PM
osbo54

That's what I thought too, Syl...that you had to take the probiotic, like Align, on a daily basis. At least, that is what I have read and have been doing. After I saw Minnie's post, then I wasn't sure, so maybe I will do some research to be sure, unless you have that info already. Thanx

not necessarily new
      #344065 - 04/05/09 05:25 PM
Little Minnie

If you are taking a probiotic to get your gut back where it should be after finding your flora was low or after taking anitbiotics or after having a lot of D, I don't see any reason why you would have to do it forever. In my opinion taking a prebiotic fiber and eating a good diet should help sustain a healthy flora tract. Once the flora numbers are where they should be the probiotic could be stopped.

A SFS on the other hand, is something that needs to be taken everyday forever.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: not necessarily new
      #344070 - 04/05/09 05:55 PM
osbo54

Sorry, you will have to argue this one with Syl. I was asking him, because I do not know.

I don't take any SFS, so I can't speak to that.

#344072 - 04/05/09 06:49 PM
Syl

Here is a quote from the FAQ on the Align web site.

Do I need to take Align forever?
It is important to continually replenish essential Bifantis bacteria to maintain your digestive balance. Because no probiotic can permanently change your digestive environment, you need to continue taking Align to continue to maintain a stronger, healthier digestive system. Taking Align is a healthy practice to get into for life for an ongoing defense against digestive episodes that interfere with your plans.

The research on the use of this probiotic for IBS indicates it has to be taken regularly.

Taking a probiotic for IBS is not necessarily synonymous with taking a probiotic to re-establish a normal level of that particular bacteria in the gut flora. In some instances you may wish to maintain the amount of a certain bacteria above the normal gut flora level because the bacteria has a beneficial property such as playing an anti-inflammatory role. Bifidobacterium infantis appears to play an anti-inflammatoru role in the bowel. Probiotics can play a variety of therapeutic roles and not simply replenish an unbalanced population in the gut flora. In order to maintain this effect these probiotics have to be taken regularly.

--------------------

#344078 - 04/06/09 08:28 AM
Scott G

Reged: 03/28/09
Loc: Boston, MA

Thanks all for responding to my questions!

If the Align is proven to be effective, then I guess I'll take it indefinitely. My good health is worth $20/month.

#344099 - 04/06/09 01:57 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Align, I believe has lactose in the ingredients, so if you are lactose intolerant, be careful. I had to stop taking it because of this and found a great probiotic I take, I found at Rite Aid that has no, filler, gluten, diary, lactose, or any of that bad stuff that hurts our tummies.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#344101 - 04/06/09 02:24 PM
Syl

Align is lactose free. It does contain a small amount of casienate a milk protein. There is more information in the FAQ section of their web site.

--------------------

#344105 - 04/06/09 03:32 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I wonder if they changed the ingredients. I remember over a year ago I stopped taking it because lactose was listed on the box as an ingredient....I feel your pain Syl, I HATE when the GI doctors tell you that IBS doesn't happen during the night, well excuse me, but I beg to differ. I even wanted to have my husband tape me having an attack to prove him wrong......shakes, chills, nausea, ungodly pain, it's horrible..........

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#344108 - 04/06/09 04:53 PM
Little Minnie

Has it been proven that those with IBS always have a lack of good flora? If that was so then probiotics would always improve symptoms, and they don't.
I'm sorry but I wouldn't take the company's own word that their product needs to be taken indefinitely. I took Align and it did no good. I felt it had been long enough to bring my flora numbers up and since I didn't feel better thusly, I ceased taking it.
I don't feel it is wrong to indefinitely take probiotics but I do feel when expense is an issue and only probiotics OR acacia can be used, the greatest benefit would be in continuing acacia. If someone wants to take both and pay for both, please keep doing so! There is nothing wrong with that.

--------------------

#344156 - 04/07/09 08:08 AM
Syl

The gut flora contains about 500 different species of bacteria. These bacterial not only ferment undigested food they produce things such as vitamins, amino acids and short chain fatty acids. Some times one bacteria produces products that another gut bacteria needs for its survival. In other instances gut bacteria can inhibit the growth of their competitors by producing antimicrobial substances. There is a complex symbiotic relationship between the bacteria in the gut flora and the gut flora and the individual's gut.

It has not been proven IBSers lack good flora. It has been shown in some small studies that the composition of bacteria in the gut flora of IBSers can differ from the composition normal individuals and that the composition may vary depending on the type of IBS. There may be an over and/or under abundance of various bacteria in the gut flora of an IBSers. It is not yet possible to be certain whether the changes in the intestinal flora seen in IBS patients are the cause of IBS, or are merely a result of the disturbed gut motility that IBS causes.

Taking a probiotic may change the composition of the flora in a variety of ways not just by increasing good bacteria but by decreasing bad bacteria. Also probiotics like Bifidobacterium lactis found in Activia yogurt appears to directly affects gut motility in those with IBS-C by reducing methane gas in the bowel which is known to reduce colonic motility. Some probiotic bacteria may exhibit anti-inflammatory activity, whereas others may have more of an effect on motility or visceral sensation. Manipulating the gut flora is a complicated and still poorly understood process. Some times you have to continually take a probiotic to maintain the right composition. It is more complicated than just bring good flora bacteria numbers up.

If you took Align for a significant amount of time - say 8-12 weeks - and it did not help you then it is likely that the probiotic in Align is not right for you.

--------------------

#344258 - 04/08/09 01:08 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Quote:

If the Align is proven to be effective, then I guess I'll take it indefinitely. My good health is worth $20/month.

That's exactly the way I look at it. If your workplace has a health savings account plan, look into that so you can pay with the Align with pretax dollars (every penny helps!) I just had my doctor write a note of medical necessity.

I unintentionally went without Align for about a week (after being on it several months). What a mess!! I'll never make that mistake again. Evidently I'm one of those people who needs to be on it indefinitely.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4382 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5706

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review