All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS Tips for Traveling to Ireland?
      #343840 - 03/30/09 10:19 AM
jorichma

Reged: 03/30/09

Hi - this is my first post, so I apologize if I'm repeating something already discussed.

My wife and I are planning on traveling to Ireland this summer, and I am a little nervous about finding safe foods. It looks like a lot of the dishes there are meat based, and I'm just not sure what to expect. One tour book basically said vegans are out of luck in Ireland, which usually is a bad sign for IBSers.

Does anyone have any tips for safe foods in Ireland? I noticed a few people on here are actually from Ireland, so your input would be tremendously helpful. I just hate dreading what should be an enjoyable, wonderful trip, just because I don't know what to eat.

Thanks so much for your help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS Tips for Traveling to Ireland? new
      #343852 - 03/30/09 02:02 PM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Welcome to the boards! I would definitely bring your acacia with you. This will be one of the most helpful and reliable sources to minimize and IBS event. If you have tried it yet, here's a link for more info. http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/suplmts/acacia.asp.

We're asked about this a lot but no one has ever had a problem with airport or customs security. If you keep the acacia in the original container that will help, but even putting it into a smaller travel container has never caused problems. Just print out some information about acacia from our website and pack it with the travel container. Many of our customers have acacia sent to their travel destination ahead of time. This way they don't have to worry about not having it and feeling bad on their trip.

We're actually working on Tummy Fiber travel packets (like sugar packets) in a small travel container right now. That should be available in the next few months - I'll announce it in the IBS Newsletter and on the site.

In the meantime, I wouldn't worry too much about traveling with the powder. A lot of people have had this concern, but it has never once actually caused a problem for anyone. There are a lot of white powders people travel with, and airport security is used to this. Heather has actually traveled internationally with it several times, and have heard from a lot of other users who travel frequently (including to South America), and it's just never been an issue for anyone.

I would bring the diet cheat sheet with you http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/cheatsheet.asp.

Also make sure that you are eating soluble fiber before insoluble fiber. Potatoes are very popular in Ireland and would be great before you eat anything else. Make sure the insoluble fiber is in it's most digestible form (cooked, mashed, pureed, etc) and that you always eat this with soluble fiber. And please do stay away from the trigger foods. Most importantly relax and enjoy your vacation

Have a great trip!
Erin

Best,

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#343887 - 03/31/09 12:25 PM
jorichma

Reged: 03/30/09

Thanks so much for your help!

The cheat sheet is great. I own both books and have often thought, "I wish I had something to carry around with me in case I have a question." The cheet sheet is perfect. So, thanks.

I'm very good about sticking to the right foods and eating soluble fiber first. I'm just a little worried since I will be in a foreign country for the first time with IBS. I guess if I stick to the guidelines I should be ok. I'm ready to eat lots of potatoes.

Lastly, I actually don't take the acacia - I take citrucel tablets - 2 before lunch and dinner, and that seems to work pretty well for me. I obviously don't travel anywhere without them. They're in my pockets at all times. So, this might start a whole 'nother topic, but what are the benefits of acacia vs. the fiber tablets?

Thanks!

#343963 - 04/02/09 10:09 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I went to Ireland almost two years ago. I did have IBS at the time. The toughest part for me was that I ate at a lot of pubs, which tend to be more greasy. I did not have a problem with beef, I don't like beef anyway so I didn't eat anything with beef in it.
I did okay with the vegetable soup and bread that you can find basically anywhere (the vege soup is made with a potato base of course, so that helps any insoluble fiber, plus it is all ground up). At most restaurants I ordered a plain chicken sandwich, which I did fine with. IN the mornings I ate oatmeal , egg whites and lots of toast. I got sick of the food after awhile but I didn't get sick. You'll love Ireland.

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#343965 - 04/02/09 11:08 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Citrucel is one of the options Heather mentioned on the website where she talks about the soluble fiber options for IBS. Here's the link
http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp

People with IBS are often very sensitive to anything artificial such as the orange flavoring they include in Citrucel. Do not get the artificially sweetened Citrucel because the artificial sweeteners can be a trigger for IBS. Some people don't like Citrucel because it gets thick and clumpy and some don't seem to mind. It also is not as concentrated as acacia, so you have to take quite a bit to equal the same number of grams of fiber. Heather has chosen to carry the acacia for our IBS customers for a number of reasons, but most importantly we have found it to be the most tolerated soluble fiber for IBS.

Have a great time in Ireland!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5680 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1781

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review