All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vitamin D - IBS friendly
      #343731 - 03/26/09 03:54 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I was just told I am vitamin D deficient and have to take 1000 IU twice a day for 60 days then 1 tablet of 1000 IU a day. I do get 800 IU with my calcium w/D, so I was thinking I only needed one. My questions is, is there any IBS problems with just vitamin D? Thanks

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vitamin D - IBS friendly new
      #343732 - 03/26/09 04:00 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have been taking quite a bit of D3 this winter with no IBS side effects. It made me get through winter without any blues. I believe I take 6000IU per day. 10000 is the max, most doctors will say, some say 20000. IIRC.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#343733 - 03/26/09 04:01 PM
LtDanFan

Thanks Little Minnie, I can always count on you for a quick reply!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

#343736 - 03/26/09 04:07 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have been taking 800 IU of vitamin D for two years. I have not experienced any problems. In fact, I believe it may have improved my IBS a bit. If you are getting 800 IU with the calcium then an additional 1000 IU might be best. This article on the Mayo Clinic web site suggests the maximum daily dose is 2000 IU. This concurs with Health Canada that says "The Tolerable Upper Intake Level for anyone over one year of age is 2000 IU per day from all sources, including milk and supplements. Because of the potential adverse effects associated with taking too much vitamin D, it is recommended that this level not be exceeded."

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Vitamin D - IBS friendly - Little Minnie new
      #343739 - 03/26/09 04:38 PM
LtDanFan

When do you take it, with food, at bedtime, etc. Just want to be safe. Thanks

--------------------

#343740 - 03/26/09 04:38 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Did you mean 2000? You and Syl differ on this.

Re: Vitamin D - IBS friendly - Syl new
      #343741 - 03/26/09 04:40 PM
LtDanFan

Syl, Thanks!! I don't want to OD on Vitamin D. lol. Thanks for the info as well. I am going to get some tomorrow and want to find the safest kind I can. I'm hoping this will improve my muscle weakness, inability to gain weight, fibromyalgia, and muscle spasms from MS.....I'm excited.

--------------------

#343774 - 03/27/09 06:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have some articles on it given to me by my SIL who is a nurse. To treat SAD, or if a person has a deficiency, going well over the 200 IU, that is the basic level, is just fine. One source puts the max dose at 10,000 and one at 20,000. If you get little sunlight through the winter a large dose is ok. The supplement I take is little gel caps 2,000 IU each. I take 2, plus a multi vitamin and a Cal/Mag with more D. I will cut out the gel caps when winter is over.
The one article is from Dr. Cannell through web MD and is regarding SAD. He says 90% of patients are D deficient and he recommends 600-10,000IU a day to correct this and get off antidepressants. He says toxic levels start at 20,000IU.
The other article is from the newspaper about treating winter blues. It claims 2000IU as the upper limit and 10,0000IU as the toxic level.
I have definitely felt benefits from taking D this winter. Being indoors in a cold, dark state, I feel my dose is reasonable. For someone in a sunnier state, much less is needed.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Vitamin D - IBS friendly - Little Minnie new
      #343830 - 03/30/09 07:15 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I've been taking D about 1K mg daily and haven't had problems. One friend w/ IBS noticed an improvement in her symptoms after starting it. So I'd say it's probably safe.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5370 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3168

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review