All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
why did i bother
      #343660 - 03/25/09 12:18 PM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

i saw my GI doctor to day got test results back all clear said need to have movicol 2 a day and use hypnotherapy Cd's watch diet no wheat 3 active a day told him how down i was and has gave me pills called noramitriptyline what now what can i do i was just getting use to this doctor and leaving but at least professor whorwell meet me and has took me on am cry now been crying all day in hospital i just want to be well and this bloating to stop the doter said it would take a really look time but soon i will get there and am sorry i just need ideas for foods no fructose or wheat and
he also said be careful on all veg all even carrots

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: why did i bother new
      #343662 - 03/25/09 12:36 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Oatmeal is great. It really helps me. Try putting some SFS in it to counter act the 2 grams of IF in the oatmeal. If you are C like me, it shouldn't bother you. Make sure to get the oats that take a while to cook, too, this will keep you full longer, just make sure you cook it until mush!

Try brown rice, it really helps me.
Sweetpotatoes
Tuna fish
Bananas
Regular potatoes (I don't care for white taters)
Try some low sodium/low fat chicken broth, put some potatoes in it and let it simmer for a while, that would be a good simple staple if you said the soups help.

I don't eat egg whites too often, but when I do, I put ginger on them, this helps calm the belly. You can put ground ginger on just about anything, if you like ginger that is.

Also drink a lot of water and peppermint/fennel tea. That will help alot. I drink about a 16 cups of water/day to keep my bowels moving and so I don't get dehydrated.

Hang in there, babe! Try not to get to down about it. I know I do sometimes, so I'm one to talk, but don't give up on your diet or your body!

The good lord is holding you in the palm of his right hand, and he has a plan for everyone, even us with IBS!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#343663 - 03/25/09 12:39 PM
julieb123

thank you for a really kind post thankyou am trying hard i have flax seeds gounded ones in my oats i like soup need good recipe now

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#343665 - 03/25/09 12:47 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Check the recipe index for soup recipes, if it doesn't look like it will help, then don't try it.

I will look through my cook books at home and try to find you something to help.

You can always find recipes and modify them to make them work for you!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#343667 - 03/25/09 12:50 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi Julie,

You are going to get well, just know that. When I make soups I use a base of potatoes (as Kappy said) or pasta. Since you can't have wheat, look for a wheatless pasta. I usually start with a veggie broth that I make myself, but you can get it canned. Or maybe, you would prefer chicken broth. Then I add my base of either potatoes or noodles, and then add various veggies from there. I change up my veggies, and I always make sure they are well cooked. Sometimes, I will even use an immersion blender and blend the soup a little bit. If you do chicken or turkey, you could also make some mini meatballs and add noodles or potatoes to that. There are a million different kinds of soups you can make. You can do a search on the internet, use some of the recipes off of the recipe boards here, or even check into some cookbooks which offer foods you can eat.

Just be carefull to stay within the recommendations of your doctors. I hear that the doctor you see, is very well known and very good in the treatment of IBS. Please follow what he says to a "T".

And Julie, it takes time. It took time for you to become this ill. Getting and staying well does not happen overnight. Stick with the program, and stay positive the best you can, and seek help if you feel your eating disorder giving you grief again.

#343668 - 03/25/09 12:54 PM
julieb123

thank you soooooooooooooooooooooo much for help and kind words cos i need it right now

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#343691 - 03/25/09 06:54 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

was that whole thing one sentence? Please try to make your posts readable

I personally am going to see a therapist because of my ibs. Diet alone could not help me.
It seems like you get extremely worked up by your GI woes. I would suggest working on the other aspects that can help IBS besides diet

#343710 - 03/26/09 09:40 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Is Dr. whorwell the one telling you to eat 3 servings of activia yogurt a day? It's hard to tell from your wording. Dairy is suppose to be a no no, right?

Also, I notice you are following a low fructose diet, but one of the first ingredients in Activa is fructose.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#343716 - 03/26/09 10:29 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Dr. Whorwell's internationally recognized IBS treatment group in the UK did the research on Danone Activia and IBS that was reported in the Research Library. They recommend it as a probiotic supplement for IBS patients.

The natural or plain Activia does not contain fructose. The flavoured ones do contain fructose.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

So new
      #343718 - 03/26/09 10:36 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Activia is a good thing for IBS? And is he recommending 3 servings a day?

Not the light or ones with added fiber right? The light ones contain inulin.

Do you eat it, Syl? I've never seen the plain type sold. It's always flavored.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2675 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6966

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review