All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm getting a colonoscopy/endoscopy on wednesday
      #343284 - 03/15/09 03:22 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

To show once and for all if I have IBS or not, I'm getting a colonoscopy/endoscopy Wednesday. It wasn't exactly convenient to have it done smack in the middle of the week, but that was the only time my doctor could do it. In case you are wondering, my GI doc wants this done because I was losing weight (although I have gained back a few pounds and am stable now)

So, any last minute suggestions for the whole process? I'm going to fast after breakfast on tuesday morning, then that night taking a laxative (magnesium citrate, I think), and then the procedure is wednesday afternoon.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm getting a colonoscopy/endoscopy on wednesday new
      #343285 - 03/15/09 03:27 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Quote:

So, any last minute suggestions for the whole process?

Follow the instructions that the doctor gave you as best you can and RELAX..... you'll have the best 20 minutes of sleep you ever had (during the colonoscopy)!

Good luck.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#343342 - 03/16/09 05:33 PM
Godandme

Reged: 02/15/09
Loc: Orange County, California

When I scheduled my colonoscopy, also as a last resort, I started reading Heather's books. It was great reading material while I was on the toilet continuously for about 24 hours in preparation for this procedure. After the colonoscopy, I felt "cleaned out" and ready to start my "new diet" of SF foods. I stuck to all of Heather's suggestions, which were awesome. Haven't had a D incident in 5 months!! You might be scared of the thought of having a colonoscopy, I was too, but the doctor might provide you with some answers to your problems, based on what he finds. Good Luck!!

Re: colonoscopy- I'm so hungry new
      #343367 - 03/17/09 11:37 AM
mcem222

thanks. I'm not particularly looking forward to being 'cleansed'. As long as I don't get cramps (like if I were having D), I won't mind being on the toilet. I also get a lot of good reading done.
By the way
I didn't realize how hungry I'd be on a liquid diet. I ate a good breakfast this morning, and have fasted since, and already I'm wishing I could gorge on food.

#343387 - 03/17/09 08:23 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

check out the crohns and colitis page for a sticky note on surviving the prep. It makes a lot of sense.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#343392 - 03/18/09 12:37 AM
Heathernes

Reged: 03/07/09

I'm might be a little late, but I just wanted to say good luck. I had my first colonscopy/endoscopy at 27 this year. Honestly, it wasn't bad at all. The fasting is certainly the toughest part. Relax (easier said than done) and it will be over before you know it. I was a little concerned about the drugs for the procedure, but I slept like a baby and don't remember a thing! No pain afterwards whatsoever.

Colonoscopy/endoscopy results! new
      #343417 - 03/18/09 04:05 PM
mcem222

First off,the doctor didn't find anything abnormal in the colonoscopy. My esophagus and throat are inflamed, so I may have reflux. Tests are being done for celiac and a few other things, which will also confirm if I have reflux, so I'll update this post if I don't have IBS.
The rest of this is a description of the process. If you don't want to read it, I realize its long.

Now about the whole process
Spoiler: today was my most painful day for years
So I had to drink 20 ounces (one at night, one in morning) of 'lemon flavored' magnesium citrate. Years ago I got a catscan when I was sick. I'm not sure what was worse; drinking catscan fluid and vomiting or drinking magnesium citrate and feeling like vomiting.
The actual cleansing wasn't as bad as drinking a laxative. Just a lot of diarrhea, and thankfully no pain or cramps.

Then I went to the hospital and got ready for the procedure. There was apparently an emergency situation that backed up the doctor, so I ended up waiting around an hour. Unfortunately, the laxative was still working its magic while I was waiting, so I had diarrhea two more times.

Going under was pretty cool. The anesthesiologist said that it would take 30-60 seconds for me to fall asleep. After around 5 seconds, I started (really suddenly) to feel woozy, and my vision got distorted. I tried to comment on how quickly I felt dizzy, but before words could come out of my mouth, I was knocked out.
Waking up might have been more interesting if I didn't have terrible gas pains. When I woke up, my mind was 75% there, but my body was 5%. Since they pumped gas into my colon during the colonoscopy, I felt exactly like I was having an IBS attack. I tried to get up to walk to the bathroom, but couldn't sit up for a minute or two. I remained 'under the influence' to some extent for around 20 minutes.
But as the spoiler suggests, from the gas that got pumped into me, I got bad gas cramps. Usually, when I have an IBS attack, I get pains like that, but then use the toilet and all is well. My gas pains lasted for at least an hour, when I was either lying down or doubled over miserable.
My mom suggested I get up and walk around and showed me some yoga moves that could help me. It really helped. I just wish I knew that moving around would be the fix earlier, so I wouldn't have such a bad time.

So, overall, not the best experience. But I will (hopefully) not have to do it against until I'm middle aged and possibly bald.
By the way, if someone wants to explain reflux to me, that would be nice. I haven't determined if I actually have it yet, and know virtually nothing about it.

Re: Colonoscopy/endoscopy results! new
      #343419 - 03/18/09 05:23 PM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

If you have gastric reflux and/or GERD here is a site that will give you some information about it.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/reflux_disease_gerd/article_em.htm

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

#343433 - 03/18/09 07:58 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

The symptoms of GERD are varied. Some people have "indigestion", like heartburn, but primiarily mine has been when you feel acid backing up in your esophogus/throat/mouth... When I had my endoscopy/colonoscopy about 5 years ago, I had gastritis, esophogitis, diverticulosis, IBS and the GI put me on Nexium. It has worked for me and some times I'm even able to skip a day. He told me it also heals inflammation or erosions, as well as preventing GERD.
Additionally, chronic sinus (post-nasal drip) drainage can cause GERD...and lots of ENTs put their patients on drugs like Nexium.
The medicine really does help, but I still try to avoid spicy food, high fat food, foods that have tomato base - i.e. I love spaghetti, but it's not worth the pain!
Blessings - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#343442 - 03/19/09 08:26 AM
mcem222

Ok, thanks for the info
My dad actually also has reflux, and takes nexium.
I have no heartburn or tickle in my throat or any of that, so I'm not going to think about it until I get an actual diagnosis (should be coming tuesday)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1557 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2591

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review