All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help Needed, Please!
      #343019 - 03/09/09 05:25 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

OK - I don't know if this is right board or not, but I'm desperate today. I need some insight into these crazy and scarey symptoms. I ate junk - i.e. baked tostitos and chocolate on Saturday, but felt OK - other than light bloating.
Yesterday at noon, I decided to be really radical and had a salad w/ letuce, baby english peas, tomatoes (w/o seeds - diverticulosis), little shredded cheese, Boars Head turkey & honey mustard dressing + a baked potato (nothing on it) and a few saltines. I have been in hell ever since. Severe boating, chest/diaphragm pressure, anxiety/shaking, scared, BM yesterday, managed to sleep little last night - thought it had subsided, but awakened w/ same symptoms - 2 BMs this AM -shaking from head to toe - cramping, weakness in limbs, mouth extremely dry....plus, sinus symptoms - which makes me think food allergy/intollerance????
Does this sound like IBS or a food intollerance/reaction - could it be too much sodium from the turkey?????
It's so bad, I'm having to stay home from school. Sorry, guys, just need some reassurance. Don't want to go to GI, he'll just order another endosopy/colonoscopy - especially since I've had some blood due to "hems" - don't want to go to clinic - they'll think it's cardio, due to upper GI pressure - my regular dr. will say it's just my sensitive gut.
Blessings w/ Hugs & Thanks - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Edited by GaGa (03/09/09 05:29 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help Needed, Please! new
      #343021 - 03/09/09 05:42 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you are sure you don't have a GI bug then it could be IBS and diverticulosis acting up with good helping of anxiety thrown in to the mix. Before going to the doc you might try going back to a base safe diet for a few days and see if things settle down. However, if you find you have a fever you should consult with a doctor.

Good luck:)

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#343024 - 03/09/09 06:04 AM
GaGa

Thanks, Syl!!! I guess I just need a "shoulder" today. I try to be so brave and strong, but this just knocked me for a loop and scared me. I wonder if the honey mustard could have had some MSG in it or if the turkey had too much sodium??? Whatever - I just want it to go.
Your reassurance helped much!
Blesssings! Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#343026 - 03/09/09 09:06 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Good morning, Dorothy,

FWIW - I sometimes have a bad reaction from turkey, too. A plain turkey sandwich (no mustard or mayo) on rye bread can set me off. I usually buy the Boar's Head brand from my deli section in the supermarket but I also get the trots from a delicatessen-bought turkey sandwich.

One comment (that I really can't vouch for) - my GI guy swears that seeds and/or nuts do NOT have any effect on diverticulosis.

I'd suggest (similar to what Syl said) eating blandly for a day and don't take any anti-diarrheals (let whatever is upsetting your system come out).

I hope you feel better real soon.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#343027 - 03/09/09 09:16 AM
GaGa

Thanks so much, Saul!!!
I hate being such a baby, but this pressure in my abdomen/chest area from the bloating just scares the crap out of me - in general I feel like a "train wreck" - probably look like one too!
It helps so much for just someone to understand and say "You're OK"!!!
Blessings & Hugs - Dorothy

--------------------

#343029 - 03/09/09 09:27 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Hey, that stuff scares the crap out of me (literally), too.

As bad as the constant diarrhea is, I know what to expect from it. The feelings of chest-tightening, anxiety and heart racing are different. I don't handle those well. It's scary stuff.

Think positively, take deep breaths and TRY to relax (I know, I know... it's easier said than done). Just remember, you're not alone.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#343032 - 03/09/09 09:35 AM
GaGa

When I'm feeling really bad, I get weepy, so your kindness makes me cry...
But, I thank you with all my heart....

--------------------

#343033 - 03/09/09 09:41 AM
Shaktidevi

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Hampshire soon to be Asheville,NC

Have you ever heard of the "Special Carb Diet" and/or GAPS diet?

Eliminating complex carbs, including refined sugars, has been the BIGGEST key, for me and many others with IBD; IBS included, to reducing and/or NO symptoms.

I'm there with you on the emotional front. I get so overwhelmed dealing with this day in and day out. My naturopath has been a great help along with my therapist and supplements that I take.

--------------------
"Peace is not the opposite of agitation. It is the absence of agitation. It is a completely relaxed and restful state." Amma

#343041 - 03/09/09 11:22 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Where can I find out more about the Special Carb Diet? I to have IBS-D.

#343046 - 03/09/09 01:07 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I am sorry that you are feeling bad. Every time I eat Boors Head turkey I end up with stomach cramps and "D". I can eat other deli turkey without a problem. I have tried to eat it on several different occasions and always have the same reaction.

I understand you feeling scared about the pressure in your chest. About a month ago I was experiencing a heavy feeling in my chest and just didn't feel right. I was worried sick and thought I was having a heart attack. It ended up being an anxiety attack. The more I worried the worse I seem to feel. It was very scary.

I hope that you are feeling better.

Hugs

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 480 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4221

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review