All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Energy Drinks and IBS
      #341607 - 02/04/09 10:40 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I have a hard time staying alert and awake throughout the day.

This is a sensitive topic with IBS as energy drinks with caffeine are bad.

I was told that taking Emergen-C would be a good thing.
Emergen-C...this is a vitamin C all natural based powder you mix in water. It contains NO caffeine.
My questions are

1) Is this Emergen-C IBS safe?
-If not why?
-The only questionable ingredient I saw was fructose...but that was just fructose NOT HFCS...so safe?

2) If not, or if good...what supplements/drinks do you to maintain energy for problems like I have mentioned?

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Energy Drinks and IBS new
      #341624 - 02/04/09 12:26 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The primary energy source in this product is the 6 grams of pure fructose per serving it contains. This is equivalent to the amount of free fructose you would get if you ate about 40 grams or 3 tablespoons of HFCS.

I don't have any suggestions for energy drinks other than homemade smoothies

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#341658 - 02/04/09 06:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I had one that was safe. I think it was Langers energy water or something. I can check tomorrow. It had dehydrated cane juice (unrefined sugar) and vitamins. Naked and Bolthouse juices may work (some varieties). B vitamins are what you want. There are Luna Moons Energy Chews which I take for long workouts. I get them at REI. Also rooibos tea is safe. I like rooibos chai since I love cardamom.
The best thing is just more water and a good night's sleep. Augmenting our natural routine with caffeine or sleeping pills or energy drinks isn't good! Anything you take day after day to get through will cause some dependency even if it is mental.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#341816 - 02/08/09 10:01 AM
Naturapanic

1) You don't think emergen-c is safe?

2) Any other suggestions? I don't need it everyday...but I am adjusting to a new routine and need some help getting through for the time being.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#341825 - 02/08/09 03:17 PM
Little Minnie

I would have to look at it better to say. I know it is expensive. I just think B vitamins are more energizing than C. Langer's Energy Water is a good choice for an energizing drink that is available all over and reasonably priced.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#348892 - 08/10/09 02:20 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

I had one that was safe. I think it was Langers energy water or something. I can check tomorrow. It had dehydrated cane juice (unrefined sugar) and vitamins. Naked and Bolthouse juices may work (some varieties). B vitamins are what you want. There are Luna Moons Energy Chews which I take for long workouts. I get them at REI. Also rooibos tea is safe. I like rooibos chai since I love cardamom.
The best thing is just more water and a good night's sleep. Augmenting our natural routine with caffeine or sleeping pills or energy drinks isn't good! Anything you take day after day to get through will cause some dependency even if it is mental.

I'm sorry to have to do this, but I really take offense at your statement.
I'm sorry but this just comes off as being an impractical, pie-in-the-sky, idealist.

Yes, it would be nice if we lived in a beatiful world were we all got a good night's sleep and didn't have any stress or demands...blah blah blah.

I think you're demonizing and acting all high and moral for something which is hardly a bad thing.
Fact is many of us DO get a good night sleep but we still are lethargic during some parts of the day (Morning, post lunch, 3 PM).
We do not have 6 hours to cook all day and 9 hours to sleep at night and 2 hours to "power" nap during the day.

There is a reason why most adults have coffee or caffeine in the morning and/or afternoon and it is because the body needs to be focused and have energy to be alert for the working day.

I really get irritated and annoyed when people like you come on here and make it sound like the answer is to be holostic and natural and that drinking coffee is an evil, bad habit that the malnurished do.

Sorry...but I am sick and tired...sick and tired...of being tired at work because I could use an energy boost from caffeine.
I do not have time to make tea...this is why we have starbucks.
Because people in the 21st century need convenience and energy to be productive.

Don't tell me that I am not living healthy, don't tell me to just get more sleep.
Maybe for a stay at home mom that's all well and good but try being a professional worker and see how far you go with all the responsiblities on just a good nights sleep.

This is just impractical, ivory tower preaching.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#348894 - 08/10/09 03:14 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Large doses of Vit C can cause diarrhea in "normal" people. Those of us with IBS probably aren't going to have any better luck.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

oh my! new
      #348898 - 08/10/09 04:14 PM
Little Minnie

Well I'm sorry you stewed on that for 6 months!

I cannot recommend that someone with IBS drink caffeine, taurine, guarana, etc. They are not helpful to IBS. I thought my suggestions were useful and understanding. There are now 3 electrolyte drinks and 2 electrolyte waters that are safe: Sobe Life Water, Langers, Snapple; Smart Water and Metroelectro. Rooibos tea is caffeine free but gives a lift. Drinking a big mug of tea or big glass of water is medically proven to bring some alertness; as does a brisk walk.
Hey I had caffeine tea yesterday. I fell asleep at 9:30 and had to get up for work at 2:30 AM. So please don't villainize me as some 'pie in the sky' dreamer who doesn't allow that anyone ever has a bad day. The advice I gave is the best advice that can be given to someone ON HEATHER'S DIET.

Most people drink coffee because their bodies have become addicted to it. They cannot function without it and usually get migraines without caffeine. We don't think that is a good thing here and the gut really doesn't respond well to caffeine.
I am sorry you are tired, but don't expect people on this forum to say it is ok to drink caffeine on a regular basis because you are tired every day.
The funny thing is that the only people I know who are pretty perky from morning through the day are the ones that never drink caffeine. The ones that drag day after day are the ones that drink caffeine.

I find it odd that you have some sort of resentment to those trying to be healthier. They are not doing it to make you feel bad.
Quote:

Maybe for a stay at home mom that's all well and good but try being a professional worker and see how far you go with all the responsiblities on just a good nights sleep.

Are you saying this to me? I am not a stay at home mom. I work 3 days a week at a grocery store and tend a 10000 sq ft garden which I use for my farmers' market stand. I also have church responsibilities. I have never seen a relationship between someone having a lot more to do than others and being a lot more drowsy. Most of the people I know who night after night have insomnia and are tired day after day are actually the stay at home women. Having less to do does not bring less drowsiness and having more to do does not bring more drowsiness. I hope you can sleep well tonight and have a different attitude tomorrow. I am befuddled at your belated post being so offensive.

--------------------

Re: oh my! new
      #348909 - 08/10/09 09:38 PM
Naturapanic

Sorry for venting....this was more frustration and nothing personal.
The post at first did come off to me as though I should be admonished for "needing a pep boost."

I have not had coffee in close to 10 years and do not consume caffeine at all.

I have been extremely frustrated lately because I really do need a boost in the AM and in the PM and also sometimes I need something to drink which has flavor and electrolytes.

My body cannot tolerate HFCS/Sweetners/or Caffeine.
I also don't have time to make a hot tea drink.
Do you have any suggestions on readily sold drinks which can have the same pep/boosting effect of coffee/caffeine but are IBS compatible?

Those three you mentioned, are they readily available anywhere or just at health stores?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#348928 - 08/11/09 02:18 PM
Little Minnie

I just wrote a whole post and my new kitten erased it all!
Sobe, Snapple and Smart Water are available everywhere. I haven't seen Langers in months. They have B vitamins that give energy but they aren't a charge up drink per se. Some flavors have caffeine and stuff and have to be avoided.

You apparently realize how bad caffeine is for IBS. I can't pussy foot around when someone asks if they can have it. However I never mean to sound condescending.

If you can make time to just micro water and add a chai rooibos bag to it and bring in a coffee cup like what you get in the coffee shop only from the store, it would be great. Rooibos chai lattes hot or cold are good. Nothing is going to give a boost like caffeine (unless it is something illegal) so there isn't much that can be done when needing a boost. And we all do; I never insinuated we all didn't! Sometimes I am so tired I nap at stop lights. But it is just like insomnia. If you take a sleeping pill you get C. If my gut hurts and I take a Bentyl the dizziness is worse. And caffeine only leads to gut problems and a dependency on it.
Good luck staying awake.

--------------------

#348933 - 08/11/09 04:14 PM
Naturapanic

Sobe/Snapple/Smart Water

I'm guessing all of these as you said are readily available at most stores.

1) Are they flavorless or do they taste good?

2) Which one is best for when you need an energy boost and which is best when say you need a gatorade (electrolytes)?

3) Are any of those in ANY flavor (Tea/Juice/Diet) safe?
-I thought Green Tea had caffeine?

4) I take it vitamin water is a no. What about Nantucket Nectars?
-I used to think when looking for an electrolyte/energy drink if it had no HFCS/splenda/ or caffeine you were fine...any other possible ingredients to check?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#348948 - 08/11/09 09:04 PM
Little Minnie

Sobe and Snapple Waters are flavored and taste just like Vitamin Water. They aren't great for you in the stricest sense. Vitamin Water has crystalline fructose which is awful. Sobe and Snapple have sugar. Both have flavors that have caffeine/taurine and stuff like that, but both have safe flavors too.
Smart Water is plain water with electrolytes. Sobe water is a Pepsi product and Vitamin Waters and Smart Water are Coke products. Not sure about snapple.

I'm not sure which have more electrolytes.
Another option is Naked juices. Very high in calories though and price! They do have them at big box stores.

Read ingredients lists for HFCS/aspartame/sucralose/fructose/caffeine/gaurana/taurine. That is all I can think of.

--------------------

#348949 - 08/11/09 09:14 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks....I am very happy to learn that Snapple of all drinks is IBS safe.
That is available in almost every store and is affordable+tastes good.

1) My question...will it say clearly on there if it contains caffeine?

2) Is it only the waters, or are the teas and juices of snapple/sobe also IBS safe?

3) You said avoid any fructose...not just HCFS?
-I thought we only had to avoid HCFS.
-What about corn syrup...is that okay so long as it isn't HCFS?

4) In your experience, do all of those mentioned help give you either a boost of energy or replenish nutrients like a coffee/gatorade does?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

answers new
      #348952 - 08/12/09 04:47 AM
Little Minnie

1. It will say caffeine on the ingredients.
2. I am just talking about those flavored waters. I haven't looked at all their products.
3. Fructose is the problem in HFCS. You may have seen a thread recently about Vitamin Water. It pointed out that the crystalline fructose in it is worse (much more fructose percentage) than HFCS. It is more 'natural' IMO but that load of pure fructose is bad for IBS. Just like drinking straight tomato or apple juice on an empty stomach.
4. They will if you believe they will. Vitamin B does have energizing qualities.

--------------------

Are the new cliff drinks safe?-nt new
      #348972 - 08/12/09 02:16 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Re: answers new
      #348986 - 08/12/09 05:40 PM
Naturapanic

Little Minnie....thank you so much for your responses. I've been "testy" the last few days.
I am so glad you have had this positive news to report.

I long ago thought Snapple which makes Teas=caffeine.
The fact I can drink this today makes my life so much easier.

I just wanted to double check
1) Just check the ingredients for HFCS/aspartame/sucralose/fructose/caffeine/gaurana/taurine/caffeine...if it does not have this....I am in the IBS-safe clear?

-Example....Snapple Lemon Tea has
"Filtered water, sugar, citric acid, tea, natural flavors"
-I see nothing about caffeine being in it or free..so I take this both safe and can help with energy?
-I also so no mention of vitamin B.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

you got me new
      #348992 - 08/12/09 07:01 PM
Little Minnie

Because it says tea I assume it is normal black tea which is highly caffeinated. If something is like a pop or fruity drink they have to add caffeine and subsequently list it on the ingredients. With tea it is inferred that it has caffeine unless it says otherwise. It would have to say 'decaf' tea or coffee in a drink that was tea or coffee.

What you need is called Snapple Water. Like this .
They also make plain electrolyte water but I haven't seen it in a store. Agave melon or grape pomegranate antioxidant waters look safe to me. Looks like the other flavors have caffeine or guarana.
Sobe life water check the ingredients on all the flavors

--------------------

Re: you got me new
      #348997 - 08/12/09 07:50 PM
Naturapanic

Son of a gun.
I just drank a Snapple Lemon Tea!
Why the heck don't they say if it has caffeine.

OK...so I guess any of the teas have caffeine unless they say otherwise...which normally is just a diet tea...and that normally has sweetners.

1) Hence I guess we should AVOID the Snapple Teas?

2) So there are TWO water flavors of Snapple that are ok.
What about the juices...most of the juices on the website look fine....what do you know and has been your experience?
Safe and good for energy?

3) I checked the SOBE link...is it me or are most of them safe?

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#349041 - 08/13/09 09:12 PM
Little Minnie

Yes you have to avoid anything that says tea unless it says decaf. Seriously you can make your own decaf iced tea on the weekend and put it in the fridge. It is easy! and cheaper.

Yes it appears only 2 flavors of Snapple water are safe for everyday use.

Yes most of the Sobe waters flavors are safe but read each one- don't just grab the color you are used to or something.

I hope these electrolyte juices work for you. I have been marketting in the heat for two days. Today I drank a Smart Water before the market (farmers market) and felt pretty darn good. It worked best to drink it before I bonked.

--------------------

#349070 - 08/14/09 06:16 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks!

Have you had any problems with Snapple juices too?
Those appear safe.

As long as I can have SOBE Water, Snapple Water, and Snapple Juice/Nantucket Nectuarine I see no need for tea.
Those provide a good tasting, refreshing drink that can help with electroylytes.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1604 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10004

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review