All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
weight gain- another fun side of IBS
      #341439 - 01/30/09 06:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I trained for a duathlon last year and assumed I would lose weight. I didn't really, just firmed a little. Then in late fall my health was really poor and my bloating really bad and since I never weigh myself I didn't realize I was gaining so much weight! My clothes didn't fit, but when you have IBS you just think that is caused by bloating. By the time I had my annual exam and was weighed in I had reached my heaviest weight ever! I have gone back to weighing in once a month and have set reasonable goals for weight loss. I have dietted one month and didn't lose anything. I am still thinking about what to do since weight loss is a thing of the past for me! Between now and the end of April my goal is 10 lbs then 10 more lbs by the end of July.
It has been a rude awakening to realize I am not just bloated but really am fat. I am going to change my signature.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: weight gain- another fun side of IBS new
      #341460 - 01/31/09 02:28 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I do understand the whole weight gain thing. I don't know if my weight gain is age related, hormones or not being able to get outside because it is so cold and snowy here. I do know it can't be from food because I don't eat that much. It is very frustrating at times.

My daughter is getting married in June and I am trying to stick with my exercise routine so that I can loose a little weight and get into shape.

I wish you luck reaching your weight loss goals.

--------------------
Janey

#341482 - 01/31/09 10:19 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

OMG I know what you mean. I used to be underweight b/c of the IBS, now that I've been on this diet for 4 years I recently noticed my clothes getting tight. I'm also not sure if it's bloating, fat or age and next week my parents are getting a community service award, I have to go to the fancy dinner and I'm sure that none of my fancy clothes are going to fit. (But I thank G-d every day that I'm not getting any major attacks anymore)
Congrats on the wedding by the way.
Chany

#350651 - 10/07/09 12:48 PM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

I have weight gain too. All these carbs, hardly ever going number two, and never going anywhere has made me gain weight. It's a nightmare. I don't even step on the scale anymore or else I will be even more depressed and probably have a heart attack. I think I weight like 120 or something like that which is a lot since I'm only 5'5 and have no muscle tone whatsoever.I'd give anything to not be severely bloated and weigh 105 pounds again.

#350655 - 10/07/09 02:58 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Not sure if maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I have actually lost 40lbs since being diagnosed with IBS (From 190 to 150). Basically because I can't eat anything anymore. The large amount of carbs doesn't make up for the huge loss of fat in my diet, and as for activity, it goes in spurts, but I would not consider myself "active" on a day to day basis.

Not sure if this is welcome help or not, but I've noticed that as I have sharply reduced my eating, my hunger has also dropped with it. Before I was always hungry, and now I often need to remind myself to eat.

#350657 - 10/07/09 06:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I know my weight gain is from sweets and from samples at work. I read in the Biggest Loser book at work that you have to stay on the diet ALL the time and after working in a grocery store a few months I started saying a little this or that was just fine and stopped avoiding all unsafe foods since they were sample size. So I have gained weight each year of working there. I was 125 in the summer before starting there 2005 and four years later weigh 150.
P.S. don't tell anyone!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3077

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review