All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Is the rye bread new
      #342172 - 02/16/09 06:53 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

....sweetened with fruit juices like there other breads? It doesn't bother you? Hm, where do you buy it from?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is the rye bread new
      #342174 - 02/16/09 07:53 AM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

Yes, the rye bread is sweetened with fruit juices and it never bothers me. I buy my bread from my local health foods store. Here in Montana we don't have Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, but my town has an amazing natural/organic foods store that carries the breads.

Any more questions, just ask!

Re: Gluten intolerance and ibs new
      #342192 - 02/16/09 01:43 PM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

Jenny B, if you don't mind answering another question on this, did you find that you were feeling worse directly after eating wheat products? Or was it more of a general overall effect? I eat a lot of french bread and porridge, and it doesn't tend to make me feel worse on a 'micro' level, but now i wonder if wheat or gluten could be at the root of the problem in a more general way. I did give up wheat before for a few weeks and concluded it wasn't the problem, but that was several years ago now. I just wonder if i should give it another go.

#342207 - 02/16/09 07:08 PM
Jenny B

Charlotte, I would say that for me eating wheat did make me feel worse just in general. I think for me eating wheat was just increasing the bad side of my IBS as well, so I am glad to be rid of it!

But sometimes, immediatly after eating wheat, such as wheat pasta or lots of wheat bread I would become bloated immediatly and feel full for way too long. Based on my experience I would tell you to give a wheat free diet another chance. I know some people feel less tired and have more energy if they cut out wheat. If you need any help finding foods that are wheat free, let me know. I would be glad to help! Take care and feel better.

#342219 - 02/17/09 09:46 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

Thanks for your helpful advice Jenny, I appreciate it. I think I will give it a go, even though it would be hard for me to give up my white bread! Something about my diet still isn't working though, so i think i need to ring the changes, as I'm more than a little fed up with the problems! Glad you've found an approach that makes you feel better

#342323 - 02/19/09 02:15 AM
pumpkin73

Reged: 10/02/08
Loc: California

For what it's worth, I also avoid wheat even though I don't have celiac. I asked my nutritionist if it's possible to have wheat intolerance without having celiac and she said yes. With me there isn't an obvious cause and effect the way there is with dairy (I'm also lactose intolerant). I'm not automatically sick two hours later. It's more about the buildup over time with me. When I re-introduced wheat after avoiding it for a while (as you're supposed to do to test yourself on elimination diets), I found that I was ok for the first couple of days, but after a week of having bread every day I felt the icks coming back. About a week after I eliminated it again I felt much better.

In may in fact be the fructans in wheat and not the gluten, as I've discovered I'm a lot more stable if I eat fruit sparingly.

I feel better now than I've felt in years. I hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-D with gas and cramping; dairy and wheat intolerant

What do you wheat free people eat? new
      #342343 - 02/19/09 11:20 AM
Jordy

If you just avoid wheat and not gluten, what breads, cereals, grains do you eat?

Just curious

--------------------

Re: What do you wheat free people eat? new
      #342352 - 02/19/09 03:22 PM
Jenny B

Jordy, I am a wheat intolerant gal, but I do eat cereals made of corn, white and brown rice, oats. As for breads, I do eat Ezekiel Sprouted Grain breads, for some reason I can tolerate the sprouted grains of wheat, very strange I know. I also eat a white rye bread, it is made by Food For Life and simply called Wheat Free White Rye Bread.

If anyone knows of other good tasting wheat free breads, please do let me know! I am always interested in finding new foods.

Re: What do you wheat free people eat? new
      #342360 - 02/19/09 04:50 PM
pumpkin73

Reged: 10/02/08
Loc: California

I don't eat bread at all. I didn't eat much before, so it isn't much of a sacrifice for me. The thing I miss most is pasta, but there are some pretty good wheat-free pastas that you can get from health food stores. I usually get rice flour pasta.

I eat cereals made from corn and rice, and for grains I usually have brown rice or quinoa (I know quinoa is technically a seed, but it works pretty much like rice and is so good for you!)

--------------------
IBS-D with gas and cramping; dairy and wheat intolerant

Pumpkin new
      #342366 - 02/19/09 06:40 PM
Jordy

If you don't eat bread, what the heck do you eat for lunch? I always think of lunch as a sandwich. Ideas would be appreciated!

Sounds like you pretty much eat GF.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 650 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9239

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review