All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Strange Cycle
      #340862 - 01/15/09 06:05 PM
robbiej

Reged: 02/28/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

I have been a long time IBS'er- D. In the 25+ years I have had IBS (I'm 39) I have had many different "cycles" of it: Morning D, Afternoon D, Late Night D, and many others. Right now for the last 8 months I have had D and cramps EVERY TIME I EAT. I went to the Gastro (new one) and he explained the reflex that happens once food hits your stomach BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...Like we all haven't heard that before. Anyway, I seriously have only been able to eat (after taking 4 Immodium) 10X in the last 8 months and NOT have to go IMMEDIATELY after eating...well...minutes after. The only reason I did take the IM is I was out to dinner with others or my husband.

I no longer eat at all during the day at work (I'm a teacher) and only eat hard candy at work to get through. I work out after work ( if I'm going to be a skeleton, I want to be a tone/strong skeleton) and then come home and eat very healthy. However, it doesn't matter what I eat, it still happens. Seriously, I can eat a piece of French bread or I can eat a pizza and the same thing happens.

As a long time sufferer I have tried it all ( including EFI diet) so I know my trigger foods...or at least I used to know them. Now, EVERYTHING triggers the rumble, the pain, and the immediate liquid BM.

Has anyone ever had this type of cycle and how did you break it?

Robin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Strange Cycle new
      #340870 - 01/16/09 04:31 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What are the ingredients in the hard candies you eat during the day?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#340872 - 01/16/09 05:36 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

This is how mine started.I went on Dicetel to help stop th econstant rumbling.It may help you too.I don't take them anymore and haven't for 8 years.Now it's only my triggers or stress that flares my IBS.
I also have done the hypno program and it really helped. Maybe you could try them.
(I'm 35 btw)

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#340896 - 01/16/09 05:44 PM
robbiej

Whatever is around: LifeSavers, Wethers (sp?) Etc. I do not eat Sorbitol (or any variation of the the "tols") since that is a trigger. After so many years I know my No-No's with sugary treats: Sugar Free ANYTHING, Ice Cream, Brownies, Twizzlers,...probably the same for everyone.

I guess my frustration is that after having something for so many years and having tried and tried everything, it still amazes me that I still suffer. I get kinda' "well" for a week, a month, or maybe two and then it's back. I guess reaching 40 and having had this for almost all of my life, I get frustrated when I go through a cycle of not being able to eat anything. The simple ACT of eating is the culprit. How awful that is....How pathetic!

Eating gives me D. That's it. That's all...EATING.

Ugh...I sound like a crazy person. Thanks for letting me vent.

Robin

you are not crazy new
      #340898 - 01/16/09 07:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I've heard this before, even recently. If Immodium doesn't help you'll have to look into prescriptions.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#340935 - 01/18/09 12:28 PM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

hello, I can't really offer you any advice but i just wanted to send some sympathy your way, i know what you mean about the frustration factor of the whole thing - sometimes IBS feels like a constant struggle: you keep trying all the time to get things under control, find some stability for a while and then suffer yet another setback, it can be so demoralising! I hope you find some answers soon - maybe the hypno? Worth a try if you haven't done it already. Also, for me eating on an empty stomach is one of the worst things i can do, so maybe try to nibble on something a bit more substantial during the day? Most of all, remember you're not alone!

#340937 - 01/18/09 01:10 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Many hard candies are made with high fructose corn syrup or juices from high fructose fruits such as apple and pear. Fructose is known to be an IBS trigger.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: you are not crazy new
      #340957 - 01/18/09 05:06 PM
robbiej

Immodium DOES help and has been my savior for many years (prior to Doctors actually admitting that IBS was not all in my head & having a few presciptions to give.) Back in the 1980's there was NOTHING but Immodium and Pepto. The only thing I take now is Dicyclomine & Immodium.

The problem I have w/Immodium is the other crazy cycle that creates: Take 3-4 Immodium, eat pretty normally for 3-6 days ( Feel like a REAL person! ), don't have ANY BM's for days and have an awful day of D. It's almost like having D every day right after I eat is at least predictable. As crazy as that sounds....w/ Immodium I never know when the REVENGE D is coming!

Revenge D...that kinda' sounds funny, because it really feels that way: "Ah-HA! You thought you were normal for a few days you crazy lady..Now I will get you HAHAHHAHA"

Anyone else have the Immodium "cycle?" Also, in general, what are most people taking (if anything) to help.

Re: Strange Cycle-Sly new
      #340958 - 01/18/09 05:14 PM
robbiej

I'm aware of this but thank you.

The reason that this is a strange situation is that I can drink ANYTHING throughout the day: coffee, chai, tea, water, and eat the hard candies/lolipops all day and nothing happens. It's when I eat solid food (soup included although that is not technically solid) the reflex starts.

It is like clockwork & and unlike any of the cycles I have been through over the last 25 years.

Thanks for your help.

#340960 - 01/18/09 06:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Did you mention whether you take SFS? Because immodium gives me C too and I can only really take it early in the day or I'll have C at least one day after. But taking acacia now gets me back on track after D or impending D and an immodium. Also taking a SFS through the day in a drink might help you not get D. You are right on track calling it a reflex. It is important to find out why that reflex started but more important to stop the cycle of it. Is there any food that you would consider your safe food that you could start with and eat a small bit and not cause D? Don't take this wrong but it has to have a mental side to this. Your stomach brain is 'making fussy' as my friend calls it. Maybe there is a way to placebo/trick it into relaxing enough to eat something without D.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#340963 - 01/18/09 06:09 PM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

This is how my IBS started in June. I went on a total liquid diet for 48 hours (per my doctor) & then started to slowly add safe solid foods. I also started taking Bentyl 30 minutes before I ate. The Bentyl seemed to make the D at least wait until I finished eating.
What really seemed to help me is probiotics & fiber. I take Digestive Advantage for Crohns & Colitis (it helps with D) twice a day & I'm up to 20 grams of Acacia Fiber a day. I now only have D about once a week, usually only in the mornings before work.
I do have the Immodium cycle. If I take it for my D I will be C for several days before the Revenge D comes about. The C days are usually full of bloating & pain, so really no relief.
All of that to say, You are Not Alone!! I know how you feel and it truly does suck! Just know that like everything else with IBS this phase to will surely pass. Keep the Faith!

BTW, I also teach, so if you feel like chatting send me a message.

--------------------
IBS~D

#340984 - 01/18/09 10:48 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I have experienced this, but primarily during periods of intense stress. Most recently, a trip to Disney w/DH, daughter,son-in-law and granddaughters. I could not eat anything all day - I drank a lot, but could not eat anything solid. I would eat when we returned to the hotel, but have "D" most of the night. This also happened at other very stressful periods in my life.
I'm so scared of the "rebound "C" - I try to even steer clear of the IM and stick with Pepto.
I'm aware this does not solve your problem, but sometimes it just helps to know someone else has walked in your shoes - or it does me - just knowing I'm not alone!
{{Hugs}} Dorothy
P.S. I work in the guidance dept. of a ms/hs alternative school - and like you - am terrified of "D" there - especially since you can "hear" everything in our shared hallway bathroom, so I try to run to the media center!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Thank You Everyone new
      #341029 - 01/19/09 02:47 PM
robbiej

It really is great to know that people understand. I read the posts often (for a few years now) but don't often post myself. It is enough to read and just see the similar craziness & suffering.

Sometimes, when I'm at work or just out in public, I look at people and get so angry at people for being able to "be normal." I then remember that I don't know how many people I think are "normal" are suffering just like me. They have to be...look at all of us from all over the world helping each other.

Thanks again to everyone.

Penny- I would love to chat and talk "shop" but can't figure it out. Can you message me?

Robin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4084 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3519

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review