All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yeast
      #340752 - 01/13/09 09:07 AM
ashbar

Reged: 01/13/09

Has anyone had luck treating yourself for a yeast overgrowth in order to alleviate IBS symptoms? Although yeast has not been indicated by the medical community as a cause of IBS (and why would it, since there's more money to be made by medical/pharmaceutical companies in creating drugs to treat IBS), there is a good deal of information out there suggesting that yeast might play a role in IBS, Chron's, etc. Or at least treating yeast might help in alleviating some symptoms.

I'd been interested in anything you might have done to help treat yeast.

Thanks,
Ashley

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yeast new
      #340759 - 01/13/09 09:47 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

hi Ashley, there is a girl on here who was able to fight bacteria through diet. Look up her posts, her nick is kim123. She gave a pretty good idea of her diet so i'm sure her posts will benefit you.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#340888 - 01/16/09 01:40 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Yup, it's me....kim123, or Kim as my friends call me I firmly believe that for me my problem was/is yeast and fungus. I still say "is" because if I overindulge in yeast, sugar and grains, I get those symptoms again. I am/was IBS D. An antifungal diet along with natural antifungals and probiotics helped me get rid of all symptoms. The diet doesn't help with bacteria, as Zara alluded to, but helps with yeast overgrowth, or other fungal conditions one may have. There are over 400 kinds of fungus that can cause disease/health problems in humans. Candida yeast is only one of them. If one takes antibiotics, for example, the good along with the bad bacteria are killed off. Without the good bacteria, the yeast is left alone to proliferate, as it is the good bacteria that keeps the yeast in check. Over time, sometimes even after many years, problems may start manifesting with symptoms of constipation, diarrhea, GERD, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, headaches, foggy brain, high cholesterol, and the list goes on. Fungus has even been implicated in some cancers and diabetes. I'm not saying everyone with those symptoms has a fungal problem, but it is a good place to start... experimenting with an anti-fungal diet, if you want to be sure.

Do you think you have a fungal problem? Were you ever on antibiotics? -birth control pills? -crave a lot of bread, pasta, or potatoes?- been exposed to mold or water damaged places?

#341598 - 02/04/09 10:05 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

Hi Kim, I'd love to speak with you further about the fungas or yeast problem. I have been put on a special yeast free diet, plus uva ursi and Diflucan. I am posting more information about my situation and would really appreciate any input you may have! Thanks!

Can you tell me more about exposure mold?

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

#341644 - 02/04/09 03:11 PM
kim123

Like what... about the exposure mold?

#341670 - 02/05/09 03:21 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

yes. I find that part very interesting. One of the things I'm told to do, by my naturopath is to avoid molds. Making sure there is no mold in my bathroom etc...
I had no idea being simply "around" mold would cause a problem.
You meantioned something about being in a house that had water damage?
Can you explain more....thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

#341708 - 02/05/09 01:47 PM
kim123

Well, in a nutshell....in one of my houses, there had been a leak from the bathtub area directly into the ceiling of the kitchen. You couldn't "see" the damage (mold) but you sure knew there was water damage because of the bubbling, etc. on the ceiling and in the wall. It had been covered up when we bought the house. In another house, we had a pump in the basement to pump out the overflow from the ground below the basement when it rained too much. Well, it malfunctioned and the whole floor area got flooded. There was mold/mildew on all the storage boxes as well as the edge of the floorboards. Smelled musty all the time after that.

As well, I grew up sleeping in a basement where there was mildew on pretty well everything if you left it on the floor long enough. Very damp. Taking into consideration that I was also on birth control pills for over 10 years, and had been on antibiotics as a child and teenager, that pretty well blew me well into the fungal quotient as I pondered the reasons for my ill health.

After experimenting with an antifungal diet, I became MUCH better. I still need to watch what I eat...I limit foods with sugar content, have no yeast at all if possible, and I limit my grains, because of the high carb(sugar)content. As well, all corn, peanuts and wheat are commonly contaminated with fungal toxins, so I try to restrict those, especially the corn and peanuts.

#342073 - 02/13/09 12:43 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

So how did you come about the yeast and antifungal issues relating to ibs and what kind of foods did you start eating to try to figure out if thats what was wrong. I crave breads, pasta, potatos all the time.

IBS-D, Diverticulosis

#342088 - 02/13/09 06:18 PM
kim123

Craving those specific foods is a good indicator, but not a "for sure" thing. Fungus does crave and thrive on those foods, however. It is like a parasite. I had tried all diets, never feeling any better, and after hearing of those who got better with an antifungal diet, I thought...what the heck, I have nothing to lose but a few weeks of experimenting.

So, I basically eliminated all products with processed sugar and high sugar fruits and veggies, yeast and all grains for a matter of weeks. I felt significantly better after 2 weeks, so I knew that was my problem. I also had a major "die-off" effect, another sign fungus was the problem. The diet is more than just what I mentioned, but that is basically it. I also took natural antifungals like caprylic acid and olive leaf extract, which I feel is key to the program. Elimination diet alone may not help.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1648 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4084

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review