All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ronzoni SmartTaste Pasta - IBS safe?
      #340729 - 01/12/09 04:10 PM
jonoma

Reged: 01/28/08
Loc: Michigan

I recently purchased Ronzoni SmartTaste Pasta, thinking that extra calcium would be beneficial in a diet with no dairy. It contains 6 g dietary fiber per 2 oz serving (3x as much as other pasta), but does not specify how much is soluble and how much insoluble.

If I were feeling daring, I'd just try it and see if it creates a reaction, but I was wondering if anyone else had attempted it. Is it just as safe as traditional dried semolina pasta?

Ingredient list: Semolina, durum flour, modified wheat starch, calcium phosphate, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I eat it with no problems- nt new
      #340734 - 01/12/09 06:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Message from the Manufacturer new
      #340805 - 01/14/09 11:50 AM
jonoma

This is what I received from the company in an email:
Thank you for contacting New World Pasta about RONZONI Smart Taste.
We appreciate your interest in our pasta and whether fiber is soluble or insoluble. Soluble fiber is found in significant amounts in virtually all fruits and vegetables. Insoluble fiber is found mainly in whole wheat products, bran, and fibrous vegetables like carrots. Therefore the 6 gms Fiber would be insoluble.

So is 6 grams insoluble fiber a safe amount?

Re: Message from the Manufacturer new
      #340807 - 01/14/09 12:36 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The response the manufacturer sent you was not particularly informative. It seems to imply that RONZONI Smart Taste is a whole wheat product but their web site does not say it is.

I called the company to see if they could give me more information. I was told that the product is made from modified wheat starch which suggests that the product is mostly SF. It might even be possible that the modified wheat starch they are using is wheat dextrin the same SF used in Benefiber in the US. The customer relations person is going to try and get the amount of SF and IF per serving in the product and call me back. I will post more information once I hear from them.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Message from the Manufacturer new
      #341031 - 01/19/09 04:29 PM
jonoma

Thanks so much, Syl! I really appreciate the effort you went to on this.

I wasn't sure what to make of what the manufacturer said, either. You would think that when they make a product that boasts extra fiber they'd be more informed about the specifics. It doesn't seem to include any whole grains that would make it difficult to digest, but I really want to be sure.

Thanks again. I look forward to knowing what you learn!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4853 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1999

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review