Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Menstrual Cramps and IBS -Need Advice
      #340674 - 01/10/09 05:20 PM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

Hey there I am new.

I found out last year by my family doc after getting several tests that I have IBS( the c kind and it's quite severe) after struggling with stomache pain, gas,headache, bloating, for months and constipation. It started of mild but now it's severe and I had to quit my job.I'm honestly so shocked and still can't believe I have it so bear with me. I have noticed that I get severe IBS attacks for the first three days of my period everyday. I honestly can't believe that I don't black out. I have bought 'Eating for IBS' and have been following the diet (vegan style - for ethical and health reasons) ,drink mint fennel ginger chamomile raspberry leaf tea, do yoga and walk on the treadmill a little, take magnesium pills, ibuprofen and soluble fiber supplement but the attacks still happen. I went to my doc and she gave me birth control pills but they make my IBS worse so I had to stop taking them. I went back to my doc and she told me she doesn't know what I can do whixh shocks me since she is suppose to help. I went to another doc recently ( a walk in clinic kind) and he was no help either.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do because I'm at a loss for words?

Thank you kindly.

Edited by Catgirl (01/11/09 08:23 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Menstrual Cramps and IBS -Need Advice new
      #340699 - 01/11/09 05:25 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I'm so sorry that your suffering like this but there are things you can do.

First of all I think you should have a colonoscopy. Unpleasant I know but better to be throughly checked out than to be misdiagnosed. There's a list of tests and other disorders you should rule out before accepting its IBS at http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/ibs.asp#diseases. I'm a little concerned that you haven't responded to the diet and have only gotten worse. It could mean it's something other than IBS.

You also really need to see a GI doc - I wasn't sure if the Doc you mentioned is a family doc or not. Besides saying there's nothing else to be done is completely untrue.

Here's a list of possible strategies:

There's an article at http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/062205.html#askheather
about the five Constipation Frustrations which may help.

You might also want to consider low dose anti-depressants as they can help control IBS symptoms.

Try the hypnotherapy CD - they've helped a lot of people.

Also you could try another pill brand. There's a brand called brevicon which makes BC with varying doses of hormones.

Ibuprofen can be problematic for IBSers. It's upset my stomach in the past.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: Menstrual Cramps and IBS -Need Advice new
      #340801 - 01/14/09 08:47 AM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

Hi

Thanks for the help.

I have had all the unpleasant tests and a GI doc has ruled out every other illness. After I was diagnosed with IBS he tell me what I can do for my IBS so then I went to my family doc. The docs here are idiots . I've been to many.I can' afford hypnotheraphy.I checked the newsletter and I already follow a health lifestyle . I will go to another doc for anti depressants.I never heard of the birth control Brevicon so I will ask a doc for that too. I tried Yasmin and the patch and others. I tried not taking Ibupropen and it just made my cramps worse.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 470 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1362

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review