All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
cooking eating and reheating rice
      #340256 - 12/31/08 05:41 AM
gackpadan

Reged: 12/31/08

I often cook rice, no problem.. foolproof enough.
healthy brown rice, around 40min.

I wouldnt want to do that every day so I put it in the fridge.

reheating it though it doesn't taste as good and I need to keep checking it.. Would a rice cooker help for reheating it?

What are the methods people here use in terms of rice for the week.. how much cooked, stored, how long it take to reheat and method of reheating..

thanks..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: cooking eating and reheating rice new
      #340261 - 12/31/08 08:09 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I have been buying these Minute Brown Rice bowls; they are precooked and all you have to do is heat in microwave for 1 minute. Simple, eh? But they cost $1.70 for two of them! Ouch! They are good for quick picks, but not for eating all the time!

When I cook my rice, I use reduced sodium fat free Swanson Chicken broth and I usually fluff before the broth is COMPLETELY absorbed. The broth keeps it from sticking together so much and gives it a good flavor as well. You could also use vegetable broth. Just use the same amount of broth as you would water. When I reheat, I add a little bit of water/broth or just a touch of oil and mix, this prevents it from being overly sticky. Rice cookers would be a good alternative, but I don't really know the answer to that.

Is there anyway you could make it every other day or every third day? This would limit waste and keep it fairly fresh. Just a thought, hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#340456 - 01/05/09 12:35 PM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

I usually make 2 cups of rice every two to three days in my rice cooker. The trick a friend told me to reheating rice is to go on the longer side vs. the shorter side. And definitely put some water or broth in- just a little.
For example: a regular bowl of rice, I microwave 1 minute 45 seconds to 2 minutes. Then it's not crunchy!

#340457 - 01/05/09 12:39 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Are those boil-in-a-bag rices any good for IBS? I've been using and eating them for some time and while they don't taste quite as good as the "regular" rices, they're easy and convenient.

Am I getting the benefits of regular rice from these instant ones?

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#340479 - 01/05/09 07:05 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Many of them contain perservatives that are not good for ibs. Take a look at the ingredient list.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#340481 - 01/05/09 07:32 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Thanks for the answer, DJ.

That's what I was afraid of; when my diarrhea acts us badly even these rices add to it.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#340486 - 01/06/09 07:15 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I have some steamed white rice with almost every meal. A little smart balance light, some salt and pepper, red pepper flakes if I am feeling good... goes with everything.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 938 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3019

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review