All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sleep interuption
      #339872 - 12/22/08 05:51 PM
tj314

Reged: 12/22/08

I started having full-blown IBS the end of Sept 2008, found your website and books, and have gotten the symptoms under control. But for one reocurring problem - each night I awake from a deep sleep every 2.0 to 2.5 hours and have to use the bathroom. I get to bed each night at 830pm to wake up for 430am. I've stopped eating at 5pm and it doesn't seem to help any. I can go the entire day without any BMs, but as soon as it's time for bed, then it starts up throughout the night til about 530am. What should I do? (I will not do acupuncture or hypnosis.) I don't want to have to live with this the rest of my life. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sleep interuption new
      #339876 - 12/22/08 06:50 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Welcome to the boards.
I have never heard of a case quite like that before. I would guess you need a soluble fiber supplement to control and regulate your digestion. If not eating in evening isn't working, try eating lightly and safely (think soft carby foods) throughout the day and evening. You could take a couple immodium before bed. For those with chronic D they are safe for extended use. Hope it helps!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#339882 - 12/23/08 04:32 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It would be helpful if you could post the meals and snacks you have eaten for the past 2-3 days. Particularly, what you eat in the late afternoon and evening.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339883 - 12/23/08 04:48 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Do you make time during the day to move your bowels? I used to have this problem sometimes in college when I was so busy I didn't really ever make time to go.

I've since trained my body to go (usually) after breakfast each morning.

--------------------
IBS-C

#339885 - 12/23/08 05:03 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Sometimes this sounds like a very old TV show.."What's My Line" - we're all asking questions and trying to guess!
But, it's because everyone feels for everyone.
May I ask how old you are?
I also frequently wake up during the night - not always because I have to go to the BR, but I do frequently wake up around 3:15 from a deep sleep - seems I can sleep 15 minutes and be in "dream sleep" - weird! Sometimes I sleep in 2-hour increments. But, continuing...my heart is pounding, sometimes I'm hot/cold/sweaty and have to rush to the BR...
It has been hypothosized??? it's hormones or I'm having panic attacks in my sleep or night terrors.
I have read that your body/liver is processing your food between 2 - 4, so I've wondered if that's the cause. I sometimes have to go more than once, as well.
Do you think you could have some anxiety you are not dealing with in the day time, or either thinking - as you are falling asleep - "here we go again, another night of the same ole' same ole'..."? I know mine is frequently anxiety from what has happened that day or what I have to deal with the following day. My job and my family require lots of responsibility and it keeps me anxious fairly often.
I don't know if this helps, but just another view...
Blessings! Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#339906 - 12/23/08 09:01 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

I did go through something similar. Almost every night for several weeks I woke up around 2:00 - 3:00 AM go to the bathroom, again a couple hours later and so on. I agree with what GaGa said about the anxiety and the "here we go again" thinking. I would get really frustrated and anxious over this and even as I was falling asleep be thinking about waking up early AM. I started doing the hypno tapes and actually resorted to some anti-anxiety meds before bedtime. I tried not to worry about it and felt "this too shall pass". At this point, it has improved greatly. Occasionally, I am still awakened, however, it's usually if I have eaten something higher in fat and I also noticed if I eat fruit in the evening I'll usually wake up needing the bathroom. So when this happens, I try to remind myself it's really no big deal....if it happens once in a while so be it.

Anyway, keep a journal on what you are eating and try doing things to decrease your anxiety level. Maybe some relaxation tapes or yoga in the evening.

Sharon

#340754 - 01/13/09 09:07 AM
shadofax

Reged: 01/09/09
Loc: Rhode Island

Hi GaGa,

I wanted to reply to your post because I too get a sickly whoozy feeling, then my heart starts to race, then I have a BM. Peppermint tea helps, but I don't know how to predict when it'll happen so it's very frustrating. I've also had it wake me up out of a deep sleep. What I've noticed is it seems my colon is "full" so it starts this annoying chain reaction. I also get heart palpitations at night from a full colon as well.

I think many doctors will tell you it's anxiety, but I just want you to know that I'm going through similar symptoms. It's NOT just about anxiety...the colon is truly flipping out.

Eliminate external stressors new
      #340771 - 01/13/09 11:50 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Don't sleep with anything touching your stomach. I used to have night attacks before I realized this, too. Sleep in a night shirt and no undies (even a simple loose elastic waistband will trigger attacks to go to the bathroom.)

Try a loose-fitting night shirt or nightdress with no pj bottoms. No drawstrings and no elastics! It really works. Take it from an old-timer!

Let us know how you do~

~nelly~

Re: Sleep interuption - follow-up - WONDERFUL NEWS!! new
      #341441 - 01/31/09 06:49 AM
tj314

Reged: 12/22/08

Hi to everyone and thank you to those who replied to my quandary. This is to tell you what has happened since I posted my question. A few days later, I had my monthly appointment with my chiropractor and happened to mention the IBS to her and what I was eating. Her eyes got wide and she said that I can't keep eating that way, how unhealthy it is (white flour and such) and that eventually I will develop Leaky Gut syndrome cuz it will "blow an intestine". "I know, but I don't know what else to do." She referred me to a different health food store in town than I had been to and that I should talk with the owner (she too had suffered from a serious intestinal condition and the owner was able to refer some products to her that helped, she even wrote down the names of them to ask the owner about).

I didn't have the extra money to spend, but decided to go to the health food store and talk to them about it. I mentioned the IBS to the clerk and she referred two products to me. Then I spoke with the owner and he relayed a story to me about a customer he had with really bad Crohn's Disease. He referred one of the products to this person and it quickly helped.

I decided that my health is important and bought the products. He also told me, "No wheat." But that's all I had been eating for the past few months. No wheat of any kind. He said just that my intestine was damaged and the products would help heal it up. When I left the store, I was in a daze. To think I could have my normal life back again and not have IBS for the rest of my life..... Wow!

"Ultimate Flora Super Critical - 200 Billion " (by Renew Life) I took that night (once a day for seven days). I took "IntestiNew" (also by Renew Life, to repair the intestines) starting the next morning (take it once/twice a day, it's a 30-day supply). I also got rid of every wheat product I had. Some I threw out, some I gave to others. I stopped eating any type of wheat and have easily found substitutions for bread and such. It's NOT a gluten restriction, just wheat. (I did a web search on wheat intolerances and they have the same symptoms as IBS.)

The first night I still got up every 2.0-2.5 hours for the bathroom. The next night I slept thru the night and have ever since. I also went back to eating like I normally did (raw fruit/vegetables, whole grains, seeds, high fat, etc.) and have NO problems at all. I eat everything I used to (minus wheat), but I still stay away from beef and pork (Blood Type Diet).

I praise God!! I have my life (and future) back again! I plan to go back to the health food store, follow-up with the owner (he asked me to), and see if there's anything else I should do. I know that if I have another bout of IBS, I will immediately go buy these products.

All this to say: you DON'T HAVE TO SUFFER WITH IBS anymore! Your intestine is damaged and just needs to be healed. These products helped me: "Ultimate Flora Super Critical - 200 Billion" and "IntestiNew" and have a normal life again. Praise God!

Re: Sleep interuption - follow-up - WONDERFUL NEWS!! new
      #341442 - 01/31/09 07:33 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I, too, found that once my gut was healed I could go back to enjoying the foods that used to give me grief. I still limit my wheat intake. Probiotics are key for me.

But, I think there is more to it than just taking a product to feel well again, just like there is not "one" drug that heals everyone. That's why doctors keep trying different prescriptions on their patients. There is no "one size fits all." It is a journey to find wellness, but I think healing the gut (getting intestinal flora back in balance) is definitely a necessary part of the trip.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2955 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3515

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review