All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Grainless treats
      #339830 - 12/22/08 08:01 AM
david8463

Reged: 10/19/04
Loc: Florida

I read so much online regarding diets, mostly because I deal with other health conditions besides IBS-C. High carbs, especially, aren't good for pain issues, I understand. I've known for years about SF and drink Citrucel often, and for years I ate loads of white rice, along with rice pasta.

However, I keep reading lots of articles regarding the need to remove grains from one's diet rather than add. It keeps me confused. I tried forsaking grains, but found my weight plummetted even more, so I allow myself a couple servings per day, usually in the form of a couple slices of bread, or an occasional sweet potato....but not without guilty feelings.

It seems that most IBSers snack on grain products. What could be used to replace grains as a snack? I am able to eat almonds, and I do, but not much else. A low carb, sugarless yogurt I am able to eat without trouble. Sugars are so high in yogurts. I watch my sugar numbers due to high triglycerides (genetic), and avoid artificial sweeteners.

So, anyone have a suggestion for grainless treats?

Dave

--------------------
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will we not fear.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Grainless treats new
      #339838 - 12/22/08 08:29 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Do you like Ginger Snaps? They are my favorite treat! I eat alot of fruit for snacks. To gain weight, you might want to eat constantly or just graze all day. What about pretzels, baked chips, graham crackers, animal crackers (eventhough they do have some HFCS, they don't bother me too badly); ga lee, that's a tough question. I guess you're right, most everything eaten is some form of grain. I like to puree a bunch of different veggies and put it over rice for a meal. It's so good!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#339841 - 12/22/08 08:44 AM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

Lately I munch on marshmallows and candy canes.
Sweet potatoes are actually supposed to be really good for you. I also like to eat acorn squash cooked with a small amount of safe butter & brown sugar.

--------------------
IBS~D

#339842 - 12/22/08 09:02 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Oh I love Acorn Squash! I usually heat them in the microwave as you would a sweet potato (bake in microwave)! Love them too! I never tried the Squash with brown sugar! I'm having one for supper so I might try that! Thanks, Pennie.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#339856 - 12/22/08 10:51 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

my favorite grainless treats or organic applesauce cups, I get the no sugar added ones, and ussually microwave them for fifteen seconds add a dash of cinamon and yum! they taste like warm apple pie filling!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#339875 - 12/22/08 06:47 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I just got a newsletter with a study that showed that for those without gluten intolerance there is nothing wrong with gluten/grain. It also pointed out that avoiding gluten/grain did not lead to weight loss. It is just a trend right now. We've seen plenty come and go.

However, you can eat safely without a lot of grains. SF veggies like were mentioned are a great base! Add to that summer squash, mushrooms, SF fruit, other root veggies, artichoke hearts, canned mushy veggies and fruits of all kinds, etc. Egg whites are a good safe filler. You might find certain grains don't make you guilty- like corn meal or quinoa (polenta, corn chips, grits, tortillas).

But I don't quite understand your fear of grains if you are not trying to lose weight?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#339884 - 12/23/08 04:57 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

As the original poster stated, many carbs are bad for chronic pain conditions as they are known to cause inflammation. Especially wheat.

There are many conditions for which a wheat free diet is recommended (off the top of my head, the list includes certain types of arthritis, endometriosis, the autism spectrum disorders as well as celiac disease) and it's not necessarily just a "trend."

--------------------
IBS-C

#339886 - 12/23/08 05:11 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Could you explain why you are afraid to eat grains? It is unclear from your post whether you still eat rice products. Do you? What do you typically eat on any given day?

Unless you have celiacs disease the only thing that IBSers have to be concerned about is eating whole grains foods such as whole grain wheat bread. However, white bread, sourdough bread, pasta and other processed grain products are perfectly fine in moderation.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 432 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2406

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review