All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Syl -question
      #339565 - 12/18/08 07:35 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

If one cannot consume high fructose corn syrup would it stand to reason that high fructose fruits would be bothersome as well? Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Syl -question new
      #339575 - 12/18/08 09:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You asked an interesting question.

It is important to note that everyone has problems with fructose if they consume a large enough amount. IBSers appear to be more sensitive.

Typically, the fructose breath test uses a load of 25 grams of fructose. If you are positive the test does not tell how much fructose you can tolerate. It only tells you that 25 grams is too much. If you are negative it doesn't tell you if your safe upper limit is 30, 35, 40, etc grams.

HFCS is usually 55% fructose and 45% glucose & other sugars. So 100 grams of HFCS contains about 12 grams of excess fructose. Honey is similar. It contains about 9 grams of excess fructose. A soft drink typically contains about 40 grams of sugar and HFCS. So it may contain about 5 grams of excess fructose. This is about the amount found in a small apple or pear.

If you find you are sensitive to HFCS in soft drinks or an equivalent amount in other foods then it is possible you will have problems with an average servings of high fructose fruits. However, you may be able to eat smaller portions without difficulty. Unfortunately, only trial and error will help you determine how much you can handle.

I hope this explanation helps a bit

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339576 - 12/18/08 09:40 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

What kind of symptoms would tell if you are sensitive?

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#339577 - 12/18/08 09:51 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It exacerbate IBS symptoms including gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, pain, etc.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339594 - 12/18/08 12:16 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

It is hard to figure out. If I do have a soda, I do think it bothers me, but I don't know if it is the HFCS or the carbonation or both.

Something I can drink that is nice for a change is Martinelli's Organic Sparkling Apple Cider. The wierd thing is I don't even bloat after that. Of course, I limit the amount I drink. Strange, huh? There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to this condition at times.

Thanks for the info. Back to trial and error.

Lynn

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2376 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1385

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review