Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gas and Mucous
      #339315 - 12/13/08 06:12 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

Hi all,
I saw some previous posts on mucous but had a particular question...here's the background:
last week I had a bad bout of D.
Since then I've only eaten SF and baked chicken. I've switched to C (small marbles) and very gassy.
Yesterday and the day before I ate my pasta with a tsp of parmesan with dinner both nights. And two nights ago I had ketchup with my chicken.
So Yesterday morning and this morning I've been very gassy and have mucous with my marbles (lol...have to chuckle...I can imagine a non-ibser reading it would find it wierd or funny). I feel like I have to go but only mucous comes out (orangy colored).

I know it's my intestine excreting extra mucous because of acidity. But could it be an indication that ketchup or dairy don't agree with me? or some other food I'm not thinking of?

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas and Mucous new
      #339317 - 12/13/08 07:11 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

So Erica, are you C at times also? I noticed you have IBS-D listed. I alternate, leaning more towards C, but I do have occasional D.

I had mucous one day, and it was very strange. I, like you, only experience problems in the AM. If I don't have any problems within the first 2 hours after getting out of bed, then I know I will be good for the day. I am also one of the fortunate ones who does not experience stomach cramps. But, with D that can be quite an experience, because there is no warning.

But anyway, back to my story. I was out about midday running some errands and all of a sudden I felt a twinge in the backside (that is my only warning), and it freaked me out. I never have problems midday, so I rushed home and expected D and when I looked in the john, it was all mucous. White mucous! Now that freaked me out, because I have never had that before, and I have not had it since. It looked like cooked egg whites. Gross. So, I guess if I had not made it, it wouldn't have been all that bad, since it was white. UGH!

To put your mind at ease, I have read in my research that the the mucous can be very colorful. From brown, to yellow, to white, to all kinds of lovely colors. Maybe we could get some green and red to celebrate Xmas.

The thing is I never did figure out what caused that mucous episode. It happened a good while ago, since I have been doing better lately. I have a feeling I will probably never figure it out, since IBS is like that. My first thought would be the dairy, but it could have been the tomato product.

Lynn

#339319 - 12/13/08 07:16 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Did the ketchup contain high fructose corn syrup? Many ketchups do. What veggies and fruit did you eat with your chicken? Was there sauce on the pasta?

Muscus in the stool is not caused by extra acidity. Mucus in stool is generally not an indication of a serious problem. Stool normally contains a small amount of mucus — a jelly-like substance that your intestines make to keep the lining of your colon moist and lubricated. Increased amounts of mucus in your stool may occur with diarrhea or constipation. The orange color probably was caused by something you ate such as carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, food coloring, supplements, etc.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339321 - 12/13/08 08:43 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

The ketchup did have HFCS in it. Hmmm, I don't think I've ever had a problem with it before though (or not that I've noticed).

veggies eaten: mushrooms all week with plain pasta and baked chicken.

Last night though, I made pasta with zucchini and a little bit of onion for flavor and a little bit of peas. It was mostly zucchini and pasta though.

Since I've started on Heather's predominantly SF diet and eliminated most IF, I've turned from IBS - D to IBS-A. A trigger may bring on the D, otherwise I'm recovering from an attack with soft stools or over the attack with marbles and a little C.

Having C makes me even more paranoid though, not knowing if I'll have a D attack at anytime.

Thanks Syl and Lynn!

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#339324 - 12/13/08 08:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The peas and onions would give me problems. The zucchini would to unless it was peeled. Mushrooms contrary what Heather says are mostly IF. See this message for more information. They give me problems every time I try to eat them. Once you get most of the IF removed from your diet you may find that you don't swing from IBS-D to IBS-C.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1507 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1276

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review