All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
GF diet and constipation
      #338811 - 12/03/08 08:08 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

So, this topic has come up before, but I feel like posting helps me center my thoughts. Plus, that way I will get more insight from you guys!

I've been tested for celiacs (don't have) and in the past when I was on the GF diet I felt much better (I was on the diet because I wanted to give it a shot, not because of a doctor's recommendation). Now that I think about it though, I think the reason I felt "well" was because during that time I got some stomach bug that made me D for about 2 months. But mostly I was able to get things done in the a.m. so the D was a welcome change. Well, I got "better" (or "worse" in my books), going back to C. At that time I quit the GF diet because I wasn't really better off. I did notice, however, that when I reduce my wheat intake, I get little less bloated (of course, when I haven't gone for days I'm still like a baloon, wheat/gluten or not).

The problem is that I've been substituting wheat with rice flour and white rice (I ate out and rice was the only safe thing available besides potatoes), and I think that's what making me even more C. I have not gone "number 2" since last Friday until this afternoon, and that was only because I took some MOM last night.

This has happened to me in the past, and it always starts my inner debate, whether I should try GF, wheat free, yes wheat but only mixed with whole, etc. The GF diet works for my bloating but contributes to my C. I feel like it may be helping in the way that I'm not eating as much "junk" (cookies, even if they're low-fat, etc.). I guess what I'm asking is, those of you who have tried GF, how did it make you feel, did you stick to it?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: GF diet and constipation new
      #338839 - 12/03/08 01:11 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I think we've "discussed" this before. I did try the GF diet - at one point for 11 months straight, then piecemeal here and there afterwards. I still felt like crap on it. When I initially started it I felt AMAZING but I really think that's because I had been eating raisin bran and whole wheat pasta on a regular (almost daily) basis and giving them up made me feel great.

You can do the GF diet one of two ways: one includes lots of rice and corn, both of which are heavily refined and lead to C. The other way to do it is much healthier, but not IBS friendly: lots of fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, meats, etc.

I find I generally feel better when I include wheat in my diet, though I do believe that it does contribute a bit to my gassiness. Actually, the SFS that works best for me is Benefiber, wihch at some point last year switched from partially hydrolyzed guar gum to wheat dextrin. Nothing else helps me "go" as well!

Hope some of that rambling helped you a bit!

--------------------
IBS-C

#338842 - 12/03/08 02:00 PM
Zara

Hi Fen, you're absolutely right, we have discussed this before. At the same time, writing down how I feel about a particular approach really helps me. I'm not good at keeping any kind of long-term diaries, but this way I can just use the search function and read about what I tried and how it made me feel. Plus, you are the only people I can talk to about diet/IBS who actually get it. My husband, for example, is very understanding and sympathetic, but I need to talk to someone who knows where I'm coming from.

The thing that keeps me trying the GF diet over and over are the tons of testimonials on the internet, when everyone's like, "I cut out gluten and all my intestinal problems were gone, and my skin's better". I want it to be this easy, too, so I guess I subconsciously believe that maybe this time the GF diet would work. At the same time, my gut (my actual gut as well as my intuition) keeps telling me that gluten probably isn't my problem.

I'm going to stay away from white rice for a while and see what happens. I ate quite a bit of white rice products in the past week so that could be why the C. I stocked up on buckwheat, brown rice, quinoa, and brown rice and spelt pasta.

Your answer actually helped me a lot, I especially like the paragraph about two ways to eat GF. Unless you make everything from scratch using the flours of your choice, you're going to find white rice in lots of GF breads and mixes.

Thanks for listening to my venting !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#338846 - 12/03/08 03:01 PM
Fen

No problem - we can discuss this anytime, because I often waver and think the exact same thing you do - so many people are helped by this approach that it's easy to think it could be the answer! Though I've often wondered if some of those people "just" have IBS and experienced the same relief I did when I gave up whole wheat and wheat bran. You know?

You know spelt is a form of wheat, right? It's supposed to be lower gluten, and many believe easier to digest, however it is a form of wheat.

My husband is the same way - he tries really hard to be sympathetic and do things to help me when I'm not feeling well, but he doesn't truly get it, because he can literally eat (and digest) anything and has a normal BM every single day. He has in the past teased me when he offers me something (say a bagel) and I decline. He'll say, "oh, are you gluten free today?" It makes me so mad because he doesn't have a clue what it's like!!!

Now thanks for listening to me vent

--------------------
IBS-C

#338857 - 12/03/08 09:33 PM
Zara

Quote:

He has in the past teased me when he offers me something (say a bagel) and I decline. He'll say, "oh, are you gluten free today?" It makes me so mad because he doesn't have a clue what it's like!!!

Haha, same here! My husband quit trying to keep track of my diet a long time ago , and when he sees me eating something that has wheat, he's like, "oh, gluten is not evil anymore?" ?

Thanks about the spelt info, yes, I know it's a form of wheat. Like you said, it's supposed to be easier to digest so I figured I'd experiment .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Zara new
      #338914 - 12/05/08 05:39 AM
Fen

Ok, scratch what I said. I think I might be back on the GF bandwagon

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Zara new
      #338915 - 12/05/08 06:30 AM
Zara

Really? What happened? If you had an attack then I hope you're starting to feel better!

Although I might understand without even asking. That's why I keep going back and forth. I have days when I feel really good on a GF diet, then I feel like it doesn't work anymore, go back to gluten/wheat. I admit that I start eating more "crap" like cookies, pretzels, etc. I get really bloated and C and then I remember those few good days I had while being GF and decide to go back to it. Then again, GF makes me C, too, because I end up eating more white rice products (rice cakes make me C, although technically they're "brown rice cakes") since they're more available to grab on-the-go, as opposed to, lets say, buckwheat crackers.

I was really bloated yesterday (didn't have wheat but spelt and buckwheat) but I think it was because of the psyllium that I was testing out again. I'm not going to take any fiber supplements over the weekend to see how I do.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Zara new
      #338916 - 12/05/08 07:13 AM
Fen

I've just had gradually worsening C and bloating and was so uncomfortable yesterday, I literally thought I might explode!

I went back through my food journals and looked at my flagged good days. While some of those good days I ate wheat and some of those good days I ate gf, the day prior I pretty much always ate gf. Which made me think about how long food (especially refined white flour) stays in our systems, and how long after I consume it it might be affecting me.

I also think that wheat affects me in ways other than digestion. Primarily, and I've thought this in the past, wheat seems to lead to insomnia for me. And the insomnia is so bad that that alone is reason enough to give up wheat. I also have been battling a lot of nausea lately that I've been chalking up to things like stress and fiber supplements, but I can pretty much trace that back to when I started eating wheat again too. I also have a bladder condition that I suspect worsens when I eat wheat.

It's so hard to know for sure. I would literally pay any amount of money if someone could just diagnose me!

Let's keep each other posted

--------------------
IBS-C

Wheat new
      #338919 - 12/05/08 08:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Don't forget that wheat products contain fructans - long chains of fructose molecules - which are indigestible. They are also found in chicory, onion, jerusalem artichoke, and garlic in the form of inulin. However, they can be fermented in the bowel cause gas and bloating. Fructans are well-known to cause problems for some IBSers.

I think sometimes people blame gluten and go gluten free when they should reduce their fructan consumption.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Wheat new
      #338921 - 12/05/08 09:30 AM
Fen

I took the fructose malabsorption test a few weeks ago and it came back fine.

I'd love to think it's just wheat and not gluten, but I don't tolerate oats or barley at all either, never really have.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2401 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41101

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review