Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Sick from work
      #338579 - 11/26/08 04:02 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi guys,

Haven't been on here for ages!

Not sure where the best place to post this is. But do you ever feel guilty or lame for taking time off work due to your IBS symptoms? I'm off today and I know it's work stress that has triggered this attack. Even though I am not well enough to go into work the guilt and stress of calling in sick is probably making my symptoms worse. Do you know what I mean? What do you guys do??? Do you feel guilty and rubbish about yourself for calling in sick or do you just accept it as part and parcel of having IBS?

Thanks for listening

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sick from work new
      #338581 - 11/26/08 04:40 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hey Sarah! I just "got back" on here, too (well, a few days ago). I'm sorry you have a bad day today! I had an attack a few days ago after stupidly eating some raw cabbage. But, as you know, it will pass again, like it always has.
Don't feel quilty about staying home from work. I've never done it just because most of my attacks start in the p.m. so I'm like, I'm already at work so I'll just stay for another few hours. But I always wish I were home instead, curled up in my pajamas. Other people may not understand but all of us here do, we know how painful and horrible an attack can be. So do whatever it takes to feel better again!

How've you been? Still doing GF I suppose? Gotta check out your blog. I've been on a off but generally I've been having less attacks, which is good. Currently I'm trying to eat low-wheat which does help with bloating. I never figured out whether it's gluten or just wheat for me.

Feel better !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#338589 - 11/26/08 06:19 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Been there, done that plenty of times. Like you I always feel guilty. What I do is when I am at work, I put in extra effort so that noone can say I'm not pulling my weight. There are periods where it seems like I'm out all the time. But my boss is understanding and as long as the work gets done, that's all that matters.

Try to look at it this way. Do you want to be around someone who's sick and miserable? Just tell yourself you're doing everyone else a favor by staying home! Your body needs this and you'll be more productive once you're back.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#338590 - 11/26/08 06:21 AM
welshsarah

Hi Zara!
Good timing for both of us coming back on here!
Thank you for your kind words, i really appreciate it. Glad you're doing well. I'm doing well mostly. The only attacks I have are stress-related such as today and if i eat gluten. I get maybe one attack a month and mostly in the pm, like you. I can even eat dairy which is great, but not too much. Gluten's a definite no for me. I wish I was tested for celiacs but they don't tend to do it much here in the UK. I tried eating bread again so that i could get tested but it made me so ill i couldn't continue. I'm glad i've figured it out though.
Have you recovered from your attack? Hope your IBS continues to improve.
How's being back in the Czech Republic?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#338607 - 11/26/08 11:28 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Being back is good so far, although we had a crazy first two months with settling down. But now it's good. I actually think that Europe is more IBS friendly when it comes to eating out. My American husband says that it's because European food is more "bland". I don't think it's bland but it is true that I can order simpler meals if I need to. There are always plain boiled potatoes and plain rice on the menu, along with broiled chicken. In the US restaurants are always trying to dress up the meals and sides a bit more with extra cheese, cream, or sauce. It is yummy, but I always paid for it later.

I checked out your blog and really like the recipes, especially the cookie one! I'm definitely making them for Christmas. I have to say that I admire how strictly to stick to eating GF. I did it strictly two years ago for a couple months but then gave it up since I wasn't feeling 100% better.

I think that you don't need the test for celiacs since you seem to have your answer. If you feel better on the diet then that's what you need to know . I actually did get tested, came out negative and I think that's what's causing me going back and forth between GF/WheatF diets. Oh well .

Take care, and I hope you're doing better now!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#338626 - 11/27/08 12:24 AM
jenUK

Reged: 12/01/07
Loc: warwickshire, uk

Hi all - i know how you feel i cant actually work at the moment due to my ibs and other things and i feel so guilty - the bennefits agency signed me off for another year after a medical in august but i hate it - i feel like i dont deserve to be on incapacity bennefit i feel like im not pulling my weight its horrible - i have always worked and lots of hours too as i was in catering so to be say on my bum all day (scuse pun) is driving me mad !

Sara i managed to get tested for celiac - i asked my doc to refer me to the dietician as i didnt know what i could eat and evryrthign was setting me off and my diet was very lmiited ( i had to tell a little white lie) she then said i cant do anythign with you untill i know wether u are celiac (bonus ) So i know i dont have a wheat alergy - i do think i have an intolerance to cheese as that always makes me bad but to get them to test for it now is like trying to get blood out of a stone.

so im back on here tryign to get my head round the diet again - as i have been off it for about 3 years now - although i still dont eat red meat and things i know have very bad effects ive pushed the boat with other things probably hense why i am back here ha ha !!

Anyway i wont rabbit on anymore xxx

oo i just want to add - im currently studying diet and nutritino diploma as after having this thing for 7 eyars i wanted to study the gut more intensly - i have jsut done a bit on allergys and intolerances - and there are a few signs that could suggest u have intolernaces - things like its not an instand reaction it builds up and you crave the food your intolerant to - like me i crave cheese but it kills me bloating wind etc - dont want to bore you but if u want any more info get in touch x

--------------------
Ibs sufferer for 7 years !

#338645 - 11/27/08 12:21 PM
welshsarah

Hi Jen,

i'd love some more info about food intolerances and the signs your body gives you. Went into work today but am feeling worse than yesterday- really bloated and constipated. I know that in part it's due to too much peanut butter and corn cakes, and also too much ice cream/dairy. My body definitely craves what hurts it- last night I couldn't stop with the ice cream even though i know it doesn't agree with me. Laxatives tonight i think!

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Sx

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#338662 - 11/28/08 06:05 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

I also feel guilty for calling in sick. Mostly b/c I get D in the morning, usually right before I leave for work. So sometimes if I'm feeling really bad, I call in sick. but within 30 - 60 min I'm feeling much better. I'm a teacher, so I'm discouraged from calling in late to work.

I also wanted to comment that I too crave what hurts my body. It's getting a little better now that I've been on the SF diet for a few weeks. But I used to get home in the afternoon and STUFF my face and I wouldn't hold back on Fridays and Saturdays. Boy would I suffer Sunday nights and Monday mornings. I'd be confused though because I's try to eat more conservatively on Sundays. Finally figured out it was Friday and Saturday's meals that were bothering me on Sundays.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#338683 - 11/29/08 03:07 PM
welshsarah

Hi Ericai,

Thank you for your reply- I know what you mean. I'm the same on friday and saturday too! Sometimes on Sunday as well because I comfort eat on a Sunday because i'm dreading work on Monday. Which them impacts on the rest of the week. My best day with my IBS tends to be a saturday because that's when I'm the most relaxed. Ultimately, IBS sucks. Fortunately, 3 days after my attack, I'm recovering and starting to feel "normal".

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#338686 - 11/29/08 04:15 PM
Karen1415

Reged: 07/04/08

Consider the alternative to not calling in sick. I had two accidents at work; I went to work not feeling well because I was concerned about accruing too many sick days. Once was near the end of the day, so I just grabbed my things, told my supervisor and coworker I was ill and left. The most recent time was near noon, I had a deadline I could not miss. I drove to a gas station washed up and changed with clothes and towels I kept in my car and went back to work. Both times I was mortified mainly because I did not want anyone to know, and I was concerned about keeping my job if this condition did not resolve. Now I listen to my body more; both times I had severe cramping and would have been better if I had just hung out at the bathroom a little longer or better yet stayed home. I have also been more diligent about keeping a food journal to try to figure out the triggers. As Heather indicated in her book when she became sick on the train, not to let one incident characterize the whole trip, we pick ourselves up and go on.

Karen

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2820 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7034

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review